- Written by Elombah.com
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria to step down moves on the introduction of N5000 note, to enable CBN conduct more enlightenment campaign on the policy, Presidential Spokesman, Reuben Abati said on Thursday evening. Elombah.com reported yesterday that President Jonathan met behind
closed doors with the leadership of the National Assembly on Tuesday night where the two arms of government reviewed the project and agreed in principle to explore the possibility of shelving it.
Both chambers of the National Assembly, after debates at their plenary sessions on Tuesday, had adopted motions rejecting the project.
In separate motions, the parliamentarians unanimously voted against the currency restructuring exercise and urged Jonathan to direct the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to halt it.
The currency restructuring recently announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) would have seen the unveiling of the N5000 note as the highest naira denomination while lower currencies – N5, N10 and N20 – were to be converted to coins.
Weeks of public outrage criticizing the policy culminated in the Senate and the House of Representatives, approving separate resolutions on Tuesday, demanding that the plan be suspended.
Mr Abati, responding to inquiries, said “the introduction is being suspended for now to enable the CBN do more enlightenment on the issue.”
He said President Jonathan has directed that the implementation of the new N5000 note be suspended for now.
“This is to enable the apex bank to do more in terms of enabling Nigerians understand why it proposed it in the first place,” he said.
“For now, the full implementation is on hold,” he added
Meanwhile The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The association has also disclosed plan to convoke a Summit on Peace and Security in Nigeria to address the insecurity in the nation.
NBA said it was embarrassed that the apex bank had not been able to offer any sensible answer to the fears raised by Nigerians over the plan to introduce N5, 000 note. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, at the Summit on the future of the NBA with the theme “The Nigerian Bar Association: The Past, Present and the Future”, Its President, Okey Wali (SAN) expressed surprise that Sanusi could insult former President Olusegun Obasanjo for holding a contrary view. Amazed by the growing obsession for power under the president’s watch, the association charged him to initiate the process that will lead to removal of Sanusi.
He said: “It may well be that the CBN has a case, but the problem is that they are not giving any sensible answer to the fears expressed by Nigerians, aside from such pedestrian reason as, it will make Nigerians to hold Naira instead of Dollar. “We are supposed to be in a democracy and since Nigerians have rejected the policy, even their elected representatives in the House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday 18th of September, 2012 condemned the plan.
Rather than listen to Nigerians, the CBN is engrossed in distribution of insults and name calling to anybody who dared express a contrary view. To my utter consternation, I watched on National Television as an elder statesman and former President of this country was being called names and ridiculed for daring to hold a contrary view.
That is a big shame. “Since all indices show that Nigerians do not want the N5,000 note, even if the leadership of the CBN is right, we believe that they are bound by the wishes of the people or they should take the honorable part of resignation, rather than exhibiting such unbridled high level of arrogance and rudeness.
- Probe Me, Jonathan Challenges Buhari
- DPR/Diezani Madueke: Deceiving Buhari On Renewed Modular Refineries’ Licensing
- US Govt -v- Buruji Kashamu: Full Transcript of UK Judgement
- Ifeanyi Ubah Forces Down Fuel Price, Crisis Averted
- BREAKING: Trouble Looms as Airline Operators Plan Protest, Strike over Fuel Scarcity
- How Buhari was disgraced at Downing Street
- UPDATE: NDLEA in Masks, Storm Kashamu’s Residence for Extradition
- How Obiano Bought PDP Candidates with N250m to Discontinue Court Cases against APGA
- Shame: Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer crippled by fuel shortages
- Happening Now: Farewell Service for Chukwumerije at Abuja Airport [Photos]
- Tony Anenih Resigns as PDP BoT Chairman
- Breaking News! Muazu Resigns as PDP Chairman with immediate effect!
- [Correction] Unizik Vice Chancellor Suspends SUG President after he alleged corruption
- Jonathan incurs N5tn domestic debt in 5 years, Governors incurred $5.85b
- Boko Haram Militants Raped Hundreds of Female Captives in Nigeria
- How the Seventh National Assembly Failed Nigerians [Part 2]
- Out-going governors created the NGF crisis - Dickson
- Disastrous Performance of the 7th National Assembly of Nigeria- Part One
- Nigeria is too poor for our leaders to act like multi-billionaires
- Why the ongoing immigration recruitment must be cancelled, by Muhammadu Buhari
- Buruji Kashamu: A drug kingpin Is Going Down?
- State of the nation: A sad commentary on the last 16 years, by Jaye Gaskia
- Now that we have Buhari! By Abdulrazaq Magaji
- SOS to Gov Obiano on the banning of motorcycles, by Mazi Odera
- Kashamu Buruji: God and our politics on trial, by Immanuel Ugwu
- As President Jonathan returns to the highest order in Nigeria, by Benjamin Aduba
- Buhari at Loggerheads with APC Leaders, Governors
- The agenda of NLC for President Muhammadu Buhari - Wabba
- Setting agenda for Muhammadu Buhari, by Nura Alkali
- My fears for Femi Adeshina, by Olalekan Waheed Adigun
- Nigeria’s Debt: APC, PDP - Who Is Telling The Truth?
- 10 Interesting Facts about Dogs, by Akinluyi Jerry
- Buhari and his frequent disregard for protocol, by Simon Utsu
- Ode to Comrade (Senator) Uche Chukwumerije, by Nzuko-Igbo, USA
- With the Abia elections won and lost, will the media siege end? - Mike Nwachukwu
- 5 Impeachment Allegations Against Governor Chime of Enugu State
- Gowon: Ojukwu never imagined I would go to war - A Response
- I need pocket money to buy Cabin, sandals – Peter Obi
- Flamboyance In Governance, Time to Say No By Don Ubani
- APGA, a new Dawn! by Chinedu Nkwonta
- Photonews: Jonathan's valedictory session of the Executive Council
- 7 FIFA executives arrested over £65m bribe in award of Russia and Qatar World Cups
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals: Cavaliers Stun Hawks 97-89
- Photo: See where volunteers that trekked for GEJ slept in Bayelsa
- NBA Western Conference Finals Game One: Warriors 110,Rockets 106
- Oshiomhole’s new wife performs first role as First Lady
- Photonews: Buhari, Dignitaries present as Oshiomhole Wed his Heartthrob
- NBA Playoffs: Warriors, Hawks, Cavaliers Alive; Houston in Trouble
- Bayern Beats Barcelona 3-2
- Zik’s first son, Chukwuma Azikiwe dies at 75
- Alvarez Whacks Game James Kirkland in Round Three
- UK doctor from Nigeria and wife illegally enslaved man for 24 years
- Mayweather Frustrates Pacquiao in Victory Number 48
- Mayweather beats Pacquiao in the 'fight of the century'
- Rio Ferdinand’s wife, Rebecca dies of cancer
- Nollywood actor Peter Bunor dies
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: PacMan Not Underdog in Grudge Match
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Nigeria Celebrates ECOWAS at Forty
- Video Evidence Show Foreign Mercenaries among Boko Haram Fighters
- India heatwave kills 800, as capital's roads melt
- 4 great enemies Buhari must terminate after being sworn on May 29
- Burundi opposition figure Zedi Feruzi shot dead
- German woman Annegret Raunig gives birth to qaudruplets at age 65
- Buhari Meets UK Prime Minister at Downing Street
- Highlights of the 47th Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Govt
- West African leaders shelve third-term ban proposal
- Obama Sends Kerry to lead US delegation at Buhari’s inauguration
- Nigeria 2015: Beyond the Ballot
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives
- ECOWAS Accra Summit to Review Regional Political, Security Situation
- ECOWAS Council of Ministers Ends 74th Ordinary Session in Accra
- Chuka Umunna Withdraws from Labour Leadership Bid