- Written by Elombah.com
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria to step down moves on the introduction of N5000 note, to enable CBN conduct more enlightenment campaign on the policy, Presidential Spokesman, Reuben Abati said on Thursday evening. Elombah.com reported yesterday that President Jonathan met behind
closed doors with the leadership of the National Assembly on Tuesday night where the two arms of government reviewed the project and agreed in principle to explore the possibility of shelving it.
Both chambers of the National Assembly, after debates at their plenary sessions on Tuesday, had adopted motions rejecting the project.
In separate motions, the parliamentarians unanimously voted against the currency restructuring exercise and urged Jonathan to direct the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to halt it.
The currency restructuring recently announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) would have seen the unveiling of the N5000 note as the highest naira denomination while lower currencies – N5, N10 and N20 – were to be converted to coins.
Weeks of public outrage criticizing the policy culminated in the Senate and the House of Representatives, approving separate resolutions on Tuesday, demanding that the plan be suspended.
Mr Abati, responding to inquiries, said “the introduction is being suspended for now to enable the CBN do more enlightenment on the issue.”
He said President Jonathan has directed that the implementation of the new N5000 note be suspended for now.
“This is to enable the apex bank to do more in terms of enabling Nigerians understand why it proposed it in the first place,” he said.
“For now, the full implementation is on hold,” he added
Meanwhile The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The association has also disclosed plan to convoke a Summit on Peace and Security in Nigeria to address the insecurity in the nation.
NBA said it was embarrassed that the apex bank had not been able to offer any sensible answer to the fears raised by Nigerians over the plan to introduce N5, 000 note. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, at the Summit on the future of the NBA with the theme “The Nigerian Bar Association: The Past, Present and the Future”, Its President, Okey Wali (SAN) expressed surprise that Sanusi could insult former President Olusegun Obasanjo for holding a contrary view. Amazed by the growing obsession for power under the president’s watch, the association charged him to initiate the process that will lead to removal of Sanusi.
He said: “It may well be that the CBN has a case, but the problem is that they are not giving any sensible answer to the fears expressed by Nigerians, aside from such pedestrian reason as, it will make Nigerians to hold Naira instead of Dollar. “We are supposed to be in a democracy and since Nigerians have rejected the policy, even their elected representatives in the House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday 18th of September, 2012 condemned the plan.
Rather than listen to Nigerians, the CBN is engrossed in distribution of insults and name calling to anybody who dared express a contrary view. To my utter consternation, I watched on National Television as an elder statesman and former President of this country was being called names and ridiculed for daring to hold a contrary view.
That is a big shame. “Since all indices show that Nigerians do not want the N5,000 note, even if the leadership of the CBN is right, we believe that they are bound by the wishes of the people or they should take the honorable part of resignation, rather than exhibiting such unbridled high level of arrogance and rudeness.
- How the 2nd Niger Bridge Was Used to Scam the SE
- Jonathan's Presidential Fund Raising: Display of Vulgar and Negative Defiance
- Nigeria Army repel attack, kill many Boko haram militants
- Chibok: somber mood in first Christmas since kidnap
- Exposed: How they looted Imo State Oil Producing Area development Commission
- Boko Haram Kills 33, Abducts 200 women and children in Borno
- Umeh, Obiano overrules Ojukwus' wife at APGA Convention
- Obiano Awards all Roads in His Hometown, Sacks Accountant General
- Buhari Announces Osibanjo as Running Mate
- The Rivers Amaechi Will not Show You! [In pictures]
- Time to feature more women in politics
- Why Uwajumogu and Okorocha are Still Keeping Activist Iwuoha in Jail
- Osibanjo Clinches Buhari's Running Mate
- 33 Reasons Why Southerners are Fools
- The Buhari PTF Days: The Untold Story
- Yakubu Gowon @ 80: Burden of Genocide
- 2015: Between Jonathan and Buhari -who is the lesser evil?
- Breaking News: Fresh Twin Explosions Rock Jos
- [Update] Buhari wins APC nomination for 2015 presidential election
- PDP Ratifies Jonathan as Candidate, Sambo as Vice-President
- Donating over N1 Million for Campaign Is Crime
- A Tribute to My Father, Chief Ejime Utomi
- Buhari, the President Nigeria may not have?
- My Watch: Under Obasanjos Watch
- My Manifesto and Vision for Nigeria, by Muhammadu Buhari
- Jonathans' 2nd Niger Bridge, 419 on the Igbo Nation
- My Synagogue Story
- Oduduwaland: Neither Buhari nor Jonathan stand for our liberation
- The Gov Fashola -Chekwas Okorie Interface
- Muhammadu Buharis Last Card
- Worshipping The False Messiahs Of Nigeria
- This is General Muhammad Buhari (Rtd)
- Victor Umeh Plots for Third Term
- Ibadan People Do Not Serve the Same Leader Twice?
- Debunking the Born to Rule Myth
- Governor Okorochas' Chief of Staff is a common thief
- Give It to Tinubu; He Knows His Onions
- Saraki Congratulates Osibanjo; Commends Tinubu
- Why the Core North Will/Must Fail: Arewa 2015 Agenda
- Buhari, the Rotimi Amaechi Fiasco
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Oil Price Slump Temporary Says Saudi Arabia Oil Minister
- Boy cleared of murder 70 years after he was executed
- BOAD to provide loans involving XOF1,100b over five years
- AfrAsia Bank attracts significant shareholding from NBC
- Research reveals GCC trade with Africa on the rise
- How the US provides inspiration for terrorists groups like ISIS
- Orange and USAID join forces to boost mHealth innovations across Africa
- ECOWAS council session holds against the backdrop of progress
- $35m grant from King Abdallah fight Ebola in WA
- Powering Africa to advance Africa power industries
- AFRICA: Optimism and opportunity abounds
- Beckam and Son in Car Accident
- George Weah: The missing link in Liberian senate
- First Francophonie Economic Forum
- Tanzania refute claims to evict Maasai from Ngorongoro