- Written by Elombah.com
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria to step down moves on the introduction of N5000 note, to enable CBN conduct more enlightenment campaign on the policy, Presidential Spokesman, Reuben Abati said on Thursday evening. Elombah.com reported yesterday that President Jonathan met behind
closed doors with the leadership of the National Assembly on Tuesday night where the two arms of government reviewed the project and agreed in principle to explore the possibility of shelving it.
Both chambers of the National Assembly, after debates at their plenary sessions on Tuesday, had adopted motions rejecting the project.
In separate motions, the parliamentarians unanimously voted against the currency restructuring exercise and urged Jonathan to direct the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to halt it.
The currency restructuring recently announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) would have seen the unveiling of the N5000 note as the highest naira denomination while lower currencies – N5, N10 and N20 – were to be converted to coins.
Weeks of public outrage criticizing the policy culminated in the Senate and the House of Representatives, approving separate resolutions on Tuesday, demanding that the plan be suspended.
Mr Abati, responding to inquiries, said “the introduction is being suspended for now to enable the CBN do more enlightenment on the issue.”
He said President Jonathan has directed that the implementation of the new N5000 note be suspended for now.
“This is to enable the apex bank to do more in terms of enabling Nigerians understand why it proposed it in the first place,” he said.
“For now, the full implementation is on hold,” he added
Meanwhile The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The association has also disclosed plan to convoke a Summit on Peace and Security in Nigeria to address the insecurity in the nation.
NBA said it was embarrassed that the apex bank had not been able to offer any sensible answer to the fears raised by Nigerians over the plan to introduce N5, 000 note. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, at the Summit on the future of the NBA with the theme “The Nigerian Bar Association: The Past, Present and the Future”, Its President, Okey Wali (SAN) expressed surprise that Sanusi could insult former President Olusegun Obasanjo for holding a contrary view. Amazed by the growing obsession for power under the president’s watch, the association charged him to initiate the process that will lead to removal of Sanusi.
He said: “It may well be that the CBN has a case, but the problem is that they are not giving any sensible answer to the fears expressed by Nigerians, aside from such pedestrian reason as, it will make Nigerians to hold Naira instead of Dollar. “We are supposed to be in a democracy and since Nigerians have rejected the policy, even their elected representatives in the House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday 18th of September, 2012 condemned the plan.
Rather than listen to Nigerians, the CBN is engrossed in distribution of insults and name calling to anybody who dared express a contrary view. To my utter consternation, I watched on National Television as an elder statesman and former President of this country was being called names and ridiculed for daring to hold a contrary view.
That is a big shame. “Since all indices show that Nigerians do not want the N5,000 note, even if the leadership of the CBN is right, we believe that they are bound by the wishes of the people or they should take the honorable part of resignation, rather than exhibiting such unbridled high level of arrogance and rudeness.
- Jonathan Blows hot, demands N2trn election funds refund
- APC Finally Unveils their Northern Agenda
- Obiano: The Face of Wickedness, by Joe Martins Uzodike
- Governor Okorocha and Islamization of Imo State... why Okorocha must go
- Buruji Kashamu Responds (Man indicted in US for drug deal elected Senator in Nigeria)
- Military Storms Boko Haram Hideout in Sambisa Forest
- Buhari to Sack all Top Management, Probe and Break up NNPC
- Three Kidnapped Boys by Housemaid Found and Home
- UNCOVERED: Fraudulent Result sheets from areas won by Okorocha
- We don't know if Chibok girls can be rescued - Buhari
- PDP Calls for Cancellation of Imo Governorship Election
- List of 2015 Elected Governors, Highlights
- APC Tsunami Sweeps Out PDP Governors
- Okorocha Leads in Controversial Imo Governorship Race
- INEC Declares Tambuwal Winner Sokoto Guber Election
- INEC Declares El rufai Winner of Kaduna Governorship Polls
- Breaking: INEC Confirms Ugwuanyi Winner of Enugu Guber
- OGUN: INEC Declares Amosun winner with 306, 988 Votes
- Guber and State Assembly Poll Result Live Updates
- How Uwajumogu-led Legislature underdeveloped Imo State, by John Mgbe
- How to Deal with an Obese Dog, by Jerry Akinluyi
- We will Punish PDP Looters and Acts of Lawlessness - Buhari
- Goodluck Jonathan, the coward that led Igbo to the slaughter
- Buhari’s victory, false prophecies and raging of heathens, by Obinna Akukwe
- Emeka Offor and Ifeanyi Ubah Again Marring Ekwusigo Elections
- The Coming War Against Corruption in Nigeria, by Benjamin Aduba
- Okorocha and Uwajumogu, Free Samuelson Iwuoha Now!
- Rotational governorship and political xenophobia in Abia, by S. Akoji
- RE: Can a Christian artiste sing secular songs? By Sam Eleanya
- Not New but Now News - Case of xenophobia in S Africa, by E E Okpa
- ABIA 2015 Guber: Between winning and rigging, By Emelogu Martins
- Ubah, Oduah, Ekwunife receive certificate of return
- How Buhari will Islamize Nigeria, by Olugu Orji
- Why defeating Rochas should be more important to APC than PDP, by FCC Jones
- On Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu’s electoral lead, by Don Ubani
- Tribute to Oronto Douglas, by Denja Yaqub
- Photos: Abia Governor Orji, 9 others receive INEC certificate of return
- Which Way, the Yoruba Ethnic Nationalities? By Nnaemeka Onumonu-Uzoaru
- Why You Should Be Eating Watermelon Seeds, Instead Of Spitting Them Out
- Jega, APC, should not take our civility for cowardice!
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Nollywood star, Desmond Elliot wins Lagos House Of Assembly Seat
- Harvest of goals as Super Falcons pound Mali 8-0
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- Boko Haram Cameroon attack toll rises to 19, 'many beheaded'
- Zimbabwean youths ordered to revenge xenophobia by attacking South Africans
- APC Used Police to Forment Electoral Violence in Akwa Ibom - Gov Akpabio
- ECOWAS Condemns Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa
- Orubebe's Outburst at Collation Centre Was Part of Plot to Kidnap Jega - Reuters
- Why South Africans are attacking foreign Africans but not whites - Quartz
- Judge Lifts Orders against Obasanjo's Book
- Gen Gowon Advocates Government of West Africa
- Boko haram; Abducted girls forced to carry out attacks - Amnesty
- ECOWAS Urges Greater Participation of Women in Togo Elections
- I Will Force Ministers to Declare Assets - Buhari
- Can Jones Nhinson redeem Liberia for the 2nd time in his lifetime?
- Michael Jackson paid £134m hush money to keep as many as 20 sex abuse victims quiet, lawyers claim
- Fleeing Boko Haram kill seven in attack on village in Chad
- Jonathan's Phone Call to Buhari Revealed