- Written by Elombah.com
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria to step down moves on the introduction of N5000 note, to enable CBN conduct more enlightenment campaign on the policy, Presidential Spokesman, Reuben Abati said on Thursday evening. Elombah.com reported yesterday that President Jonathan met behind
closed doors with the leadership of the National Assembly on Tuesday night where the two arms of government reviewed the project and agreed in principle to explore the possibility of shelving it.
Both chambers of the National Assembly, after debates at their plenary sessions on Tuesday, had adopted motions rejecting the project.
In separate motions, the parliamentarians unanimously voted against the currency restructuring exercise and urged Jonathan to direct the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to halt it.
The currency restructuring recently announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) would have seen the unveiling of the N5000 note as the highest naira denomination while lower currencies – N5, N10 and N20 – were to be converted to coins.
Weeks of public outrage criticizing the policy culminated in the Senate and the House of Representatives, approving separate resolutions on Tuesday, demanding that the plan be suspended.
Mr Abati, responding to inquiries, said “the introduction is being suspended for now to enable the CBN do more enlightenment on the issue.”
He said President Jonathan has directed that the implementation of the new N5000 note be suspended for now.
“This is to enable the apex bank to do more in terms of enabling Nigerians understand why it proposed it in the first place,” he said.
“For now, the full implementation is on hold,” he added
Meanwhile The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The association has also disclosed plan to convoke a Summit on Peace and Security in Nigeria to address the insecurity in the nation.
NBA said it was embarrassed that the apex bank had not been able to offer any sensible answer to the fears raised by Nigerians over the plan to introduce N5, 000 note. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, at the Summit on the future of the NBA with the theme “The Nigerian Bar Association: The Past, Present and the Future”, Its President, Okey Wali (SAN) expressed surprise that Sanusi could insult former President Olusegun Obasanjo for holding a contrary view. Amazed by the growing obsession for power under the president’s watch, the association charged him to initiate the process that will lead to removal of Sanusi.
He said: “It may well be that the CBN has a case, but the problem is that they are not giving any sensible answer to the fears expressed by Nigerians, aside from such pedestrian reason as, it will make Nigerians to hold Naira instead of Dollar. “We are supposed to be in a democracy and since Nigerians have rejected the policy, even their elected representatives in the House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday 18th of September, 2012 condemned the plan.
Rather than listen to Nigerians, the CBN is engrossed in distribution of insults and name calling to anybody who dared express a contrary view. To my utter consternation, I watched on National Television as an elder statesman and former President of this country was being called names and ridiculed for daring to hold a contrary view.
That is a big shame. “Since all indices show that Nigerians do not want the N5,000 note, even if the leadership of the CBN is right, we believe that they are bound by the wishes of the people or they should take the honorable part of resignation, rather than exhibiting such unbridled high level of arrogance and rudeness.
- Breaking: Bomb blast in Gombe Bus Station
- Boko haram Terrorists Overrun, Mount Flag in Military Chief’s home town
- Ebola Scare at MMA, Lagos, as Patient Arrives
- Pastor flees as SON raids his 3 factories in Onitsha for fake Items
- Bizarre! Nigerian Diplomat in Austria Fights on the Streets of Vienna
- Revealed: The 44 People that Paid for Jonathan's Nomination Form
- The Great Cover Up: Secret Service Agent Murdered in Nigerian Embassy
- EXCLUSIVE: Unsolved Murder in Nigerian Embassy in Czech Republic
- Inside Boko Haram: Abducted girls raped, abused, forced to marry
- 17 killed in suspected Boko Haram attack, 30 Adolescents Abducted
- Jonathan Vs Buhari the True Opinion Pool and Sheik Gumi's Warning - 2
- Nigeria Police confirms kidnap of oil minister's sister
- Nigeria, a nation divided - The Economist
- 'Everybody knows' where Boko Haram are - video
- Peter Obi Left no Money – Governor Willie Obiano
- APC Is Stopping The Chibok Girls Rescue - Negotiator
- Boko haram, FG Negotiating team fails to met
- Ministry Staffs Accuse Maku of Embezzlement, Disrupt Handover
- Ojukwu's wife, Bianca Speaks on Obi, umeh, Ikemba and APGA
- The EFCC petition on N6.3billion Fidelity Bank Fraud
- AKS 2015 And Bassey Albert’s Show of Humility And Courage
- The Faceless ‘Save Abia’ and their Murky Plots
- Why President Jonathan Cannot Continue In 2015
- Transformation Agenda: I Travelled Kano – Zaria by Rail
- Africa Needs Innovation and Engagement with Its Population
- Why They Failed Poor You and How You Can Get Back at Them
- Transformation Agenda or Not: Jonathan’s Promise on Power (1)
- Tunde Kelani to Premiere His Movie 'Dazzling Mirage'
- Tambuwal should Resign as Speaker or be Impeached
- 200 Days In “Captivity”: Open Letter To Chibok Girls
- Insurgency & Phantom Ceasefire: Federal Government Has Failed Again
- This is Victor Umeh
- Mr President, Show Better Understanding of Democracy! - APC
- CSNAC condemns the withdrawal of Hon Tambuwal's security aides
- SE Development Fund Board to Be Inaugurated on October 31
- "Beyond the Gate": Unilag students Enlightened at Youth Program
- Making Of Anambra Social Contract & Detoxifying Its Polity - Last Part
- Letter of Appreciation to Audu Ogbeh of Bringbackourgirls
- The many sins of Gov Willie Obiano and the shadows haunting him
- The Challenges Facing Nigerian Unemployed Youths
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Gov Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Emerging Champions
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria from International Football Monday
- NFF Crises: Nigeria May Face FIFA Hammer
- Governor Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Thrashing Cameroun 2-0
- Williams Beat Simona Halep to Win 5th WTA Finals Title
- Revelations from El Clasico, as Real Madrid beat Barcelona
- WTA: Simona Halep Humbles Serena at WTA Finals
- Chelsea Chief Executive, Ron Gourlay Quits club
- New Uyo Stadium to Be Opened With Super Eagles Friendly
- Footballer Dies From Spinal Injuries After Performing Somersault
- Football: Luiz Suarez Returns for El Clasico
- Sports: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Critically Ill
- Breaking News! Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore resigns amidst unrest
- New BlackBerry Passport lands in Nigeria
- Military Coup in Burkina Faso after Angry Citizens set Parliament on fire
- I salute the people of Burkina Faso
- Nigerian drug smuggler found with N100m cocaine at Edinburgh Airport
- Confirmed: Oscar Pistorius prosecutors to appeal manslaughter verdict and 5-year prison term
- Beware of Facebook friends: Man chokes woman he met online because she didn't match her profile
- Gunmen kill German citizen, kidnap another in southwest Nigeria
- The Heartbreaking Final Letter Of Hanged Iranian Woman To Her Mother
- Obama Hugs Nurse to Fight Ebola Stigma
- Boko Haram Kidnap 25 More Girls In Nigeria
- Gunman enters Canadian parliament, many shots fired
- Christian Mother Sentenced To Death For 'Insulting Prophet'
- Couple stuck together and hospitalised after sex in the sea
- Ebola: passenger flying from Nigeria to New York dies in his seat