- Written by Elombah.com
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria to step down moves on the introduction of N5000 note, to enable CBN conduct more enlightenment campaign on the policy, Presidential Spokesman, Reuben Abati said on Thursday evening. Elombah.com reported yesterday that President Jonathan met behind
closed doors with the leadership of the National Assembly on Tuesday night where the two arms of government reviewed the project and agreed in principle to explore the possibility of shelving it.
Both chambers of the National Assembly, after debates at their plenary sessions on Tuesday, had adopted motions rejecting the project.
In separate motions, the parliamentarians unanimously voted against the currency restructuring exercise and urged Jonathan to direct the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to halt it.
The currency restructuring recently announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) would have seen the unveiling of the N5000 note as the highest naira denomination while lower currencies – N5, N10 and N20 – were to be converted to coins.
Weeks of public outrage criticizing the policy culminated in the Senate and the House of Representatives, approving separate resolutions on Tuesday, demanding that the plan be suspended.
Mr Abati, responding to inquiries, said “the introduction is being suspended for now to enable the CBN do more enlightenment on the issue.”
He said President Jonathan has directed that the implementation of the new N5000 note be suspended for now.
“This is to enable the apex bank to do more in terms of enabling Nigerians understand why it proposed it in the first place,” he said.
“For now, the full implementation is on hold,” he added
Meanwhile The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The association has also disclosed plan to convoke a Summit on Peace and Security in Nigeria to address the insecurity in the nation.
NBA said it was embarrassed that the apex bank had not been able to offer any sensible answer to the fears raised by Nigerians over the plan to introduce N5, 000 note. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, at the Summit on the future of the NBA with the theme “The Nigerian Bar Association: The Past, Present and the Future”, Its President, Okey Wali (SAN) expressed surprise that Sanusi could insult former President Olusegun Obasanjo for holding a contrary view. Amazed by the growing obsession for power under the president’s watch, the association charged him to initiate the process that will lead to removal of Sanusi.
He said: “It may well be that the CBN has a case, but the problem is that they are not giving any sensible answer to the fears expressed by Nigerians, aside from such pedestrian reason as, it will make Nigerians to hold Naira instead of Dollar. “We are supposed to be in a democracy and since Nigerians have rejected the policy, even their elected representatives in the House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday 18th of September, 2012 condemned the plan.
Rather than listen to Nigerians, the CBN is engrossed in distribution of insults and name calling to anybody who dared express a contrary view. To my utter consternation, I watched on National Television as an elder statesman and former President of this country was being called names and ridiculed for daring to hold a contrary view.
That is a big shame. “Since all indices show that Nigerians do not want the N5,000 note, even if the leadership of the CBN is right, we believe that they are bound by the wishes of the people or they should take the honorable part of resignation, rather than exhibiting such unbridled high level of arrogance and rudeness.
- Tinubu, Osibanjo, Akande Shun APC NEC Meeting, Buhari warns the party
- Explosive: Kids of Rich Nigerians Who Finance Boko Haram
- Buhari ignored own Transition Committee’s recommendation to publicly declare assets on assuming office
- Rot in Rivers State Revealed: Wike Visits Abandoned General Hospital [Photos]
- Central Bank of Nigeria, a Monster House of Corruption
- Revealed: Goodluck Jonathan secretly withdrew N500 billion from excess crude account
- Over 100 Captured Boko Haram Suspects Transferred to South East States
- Group fingers Wike, Mrs. Jonathan in N180bn UBEC fraud
- Boko Haram Scare: Anambra markets shut down
- Fraudulent Activities of Ms. Washima, Former SSA to Pres. Jonathan on Job Creation
- Buhari's priority is genocide-for-oil, not Boko Haram - Prof Chinweizu
- 42 killed in suspected Boko Haram attacks in Borno
- Buhari Warns Governors: Days Of Impunity And Fiscal Recklessness Are Over!
- Jonathan Left me an empty treasury - Buhari
- Buhari's Snail Speed; Naira Crashes in the Forex Market
- War against oil thieves: Buhari Orders Attacks in Akwa Ibom Creeks, Kills 350
- How Victor Umeh turned APGA into a personal ATM
- Buhari Denies Ordering Sale of 9 Presidential Jets
- Nigerian international kidnap ring smashed in Philippines
- Biogas Electricity: Viable alternative to improved power generation
- Why Fela didn't dance, by David Oluwasegun Ogundipe
- Gov Okorocha vs Imo Royal Fathers: The Genesis of the Rumpus, by John Mgbe
- National Institute for Nigerian Languages: A cry for attention, by Cos-Ukwuoma
- APC crises: Turning tables? By Olalekan Waheed Adigun
- Pray for Ebere Wabara, By Charles Ajunwa
- Nigeria: A wasteful Senate, by Martin-hassan Eze
- Obiano is solely responsible for Boko Haram prisoners’ relocation - Peter Obi
- Kogi 2016: The unseen poem, by Abdullahi Suleiman Otiwe
- Change is never a Creation or Monopoly of any Party! By Akin Adejumo
- Fani-Kayode’s triumph over a weak & directionless EFCC, by Ezeani Elvis
- Jega: Between wile and will, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- How to Read Dog Body Language, by Jerry Akinluyi
- Who made “Ogogoro” a killer drink? By Mozimo Beke
- Of Tambuwalism and Buhari’s Headache, By Olusegun Adeniyi
- Buhari’s unparalleled generosity, by Utum Eteng
- PDP cry foul as Buhari overrules Jega and appointed Zakari as INEC boss
- Senate showdown: Why Saraki should be expelled from APC, by Eneh John
- Of party supremacy and elected officials, by Benjamin Aduba
- Imo: Guaranteeing Stomach infrastructure in time of change, By Cyril Aririguzo
- Obiano Slams Heavy Tax on Hotels and Fuel Stations in Anambra
- Mentioning Messi's name saved my life - Argentine kidnapped in Nigeria
- Amazing: 3 different Nigerians hold 100m sprint records for Africa, Asia and Europe
- Photonews: Buhari visits his cattle in Daura Saturday, 20 June 2015
- Kano Slash Salary and Allowance of Political Office Holders by 50 %
- Swedish Women National Team Coach Turns Down Falcons’ Offer
- Enyeama faces the hammer after castigating Kaduna Venue
- Warriors Are Champs; Win Second NBA Title in 40 Years
- U-20:Mali Drops Germany, Qualifies for Semis; Senegal also through
- NBA Finals: Warriors One Win From Title, Beat Cavaliers 104-91
- Light Dims on Super Falcons as they lose 0-2 to Australia
- Super Eagles beat Chad 2-0, start AFCON qualifying with victory
- Flying Eagles Crash Out of FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Women World Cup: Cameroon opens in 6-0 style at Ecuador’s expense
- FIFA U-20: Mali Drops Ghana 3-0; Qualifies for Q/Final
- Lagos APC calls on party to punish treacherous National Assembly members
- Women's World Cup: Nigeria hold Sweden in 3-3 thriller
- Women World Cup: Germany crushes Ivory Coast 10-0
- NBA Finals: Cavaliers Even Series, Prevailing 95-93 Over Warriors
- Nigeria’s Flying Eagles Mauls Hungary 2-0, Ready for Germany
- Barcelona wins champion's league, beats Juventus 3-1
- ECOWAS accredits five diplomatic missions, pledges greater collaboration
- Nigerian journalists investigating smuggling beaten to comma
- Naira Falls again, $1.2 billion Forex sale could not save Nigeria's currency
- ECOWAS Court Fixes June 30 for Burkina Faso Cases
- US Supreme Court backs use of lethal injection drug
- ECOWAS moves to eliminate street children syndrome in West Africa
- President Buhari Promises to Recover Nigeria's Stolen Billions
- June 26: Terrorists' Global ‘Day of Rage’, France, Tunisia, Kuwait Hit
- US Supreme Court rules gay marriage is legal nationwide
- Nigerian Homosexuals to Lead London March
- ECOWAS President Grants Audience to W/African Youth Leaders
- Pakistan heatwave: Death toll crosses 700 people in Sindh
- IS drowns, decapitates 'spies' in brutal new video
- ECOWAS to step up collaboration via “Council of Understanding”
- This is America's new $13 billion warship