- By Elombah.com
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the Central Bank of Nigeria to step down moves on the introduction of N5000 note, to enable CBN conduct more enlightenment campaign on the policy, Presidential Spokesman, Reuben Abati said on Thursday evening. Elombah.com reported yesterday that President Jonathan met behind
closed doors with the leadership of the National Assembly on Tuesday night where the two arms of government reviewed the project and agreed in principle to explore the possibility of shelving it.
Both chambers of the National Assembly, after debates at their plenary sessions on Tuesday, had adopted motions rejecting the project.
In separate motions, the parliamentarians unanimously voted against the currency restructuring exercise and urged Jonathan to direct the CBN Governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, to halt it.
The currency restructuring recently announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) would have seen the unveiling of the N5000 note as the highest naira denomination while lower currencies – N5, N10 and N20 – were to be converted to coins.
Weeks of public outrage criticizing the policy culminated in the Senate and the House of Representatives, approving separate resolutions on Tuesday, demanding that the plan be suspended.
Mr Abati, responding to inquiries, said “the introduction is being suspended for now to enable the CBN do more enlightenment on the issue.”
He said President Jonathan has directed that the implementation of the new N5000 note be suspended for now.
“This is to enable the apex bank to do more in terms of enabling Nigerians understand why it proposed it in the first place,” he said.
“For now, the full implementation is on hold,” he added
Meanwhile The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. The association has also disclosed plan to convoke a Summit on Peace and Security in Nigeria to address the insecurity in the nation.
NBA said it was embarrassed that the apex bank had not been able to offer any sensible answer to the fears raised by Nigerians over the plan to introduce N5, 000 note. Speaking on Thursday in Abuja, at the Summit on the future of the NBA with the theme “The Nigerian Bar Association: The Past, Present and the Future”, Its President, Okey Wali (SAN) expressed surprise that Sanusi could insult former President Olusegun Obasanjo for holding a contrary view. Amazed by the growing obsession for power under the president’s watch, the association charged him to initiate the process that will lead to removal of Sanusi.
He said: “It may well be that the CBN has a case, but the problem is that they are not giving any sensible answer to the fears expressed by Nigerians, aside from such pedestrian reason as, it will make Nigerians to hold Naira instead of Dollar. “We are supposed to be in a democracy and since Nigerians have rejected the policy, even their elected representatives in the House of Representatives and the Senate on Tuesday 18th of September, 2012 condemned the plan.
Rather than listen to Nigerians, the CBN is engrossed in distribution of insults and name calling to anybody who dared express a contrary view. To my utter consternation, I watched on National Television as an elder statesman and former President of this country was being called names and ridiculed for daring to hold a contrary view.
That is a big shame. “Since all indices show that Nigerians do not want the N5,000 note, even if the leadership of the CBN is right, we believe that they are bound by the wishes of the people or they should take the honorable part of resignation, rather than exhibiting such unbridled high level of arrogance and rudeness.
- The Jonathan Government Goes Rogue; As Oritsejafor Hide Behind one Finger
- Army fires GOC at the root of mutiny by convicted soldiers
- Obiano Starts 2018 governorship campaign with bags of rice
- Boko Haram Kidnaps 50 Women, Scores of Children
- #BringBackJonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity, by Wole Soyinka
- Akwa Ibom Receives the Highest Allocation to States
- Elombah.com Issues a Disclaimer!
- Why And How INEC Is Creating New Polling Units - by Prof Jega
- What We saw In Akwa Ibom State- Part 2
- Obiano presents refurbished APC, Gives Cheque to Army, Appoints More Assistants
- Goodluck Jonathan's Hashtag: Most Inappropriate of the Year
- Appointment Of Chief Judge In Rivers State: Resolving The Crisis
- PHOTO: crowd at Reception for former governor of Akwa Ibom Victor Attah
- How Governor Willie Obiano Rules Anambra State
- Ibori Rejects Uduaghan’s Choice for Delta 2015
- 114 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Must Go In 2015
- Open Letter to Chief Orji Uzor Kalu (2)
- Ali Modu Sherrif Denies Sponsoring Boko Haram
- PDP Retorts Sharply to APC's Alledged Dance with Boko Baram
- 'Sponsors of Boko Haram are PDP and Presidency" - Oyegun
- $9.3m scandal: 32 Ways to Explain #DollarCashGate
- Akwa Ibom 2015 Governorship Quest Tears Brothers Apart
- NANS Condemns FCE, Kano, Bomb Blast
- What Really Does Ahmadu Adamu Muazu Want? (Part Two)
- ECOWAS, USAID Strengthen Cooperation for Regional Development and Stability
- Nigerian LGBTS Awaits Abuja Judge’s Decision on Anti-Gay Law Repeal
- An Open Letter to Akwa Ibom State CP - Isaac Gabriel Achong
- Kogi APC Is Not In Crisis - Abubakar Audu
- Book Launch: “Moving Forward: A Biography of Goodluck Ebele Jonathan”
- Ebola Virus and Schools resumption Saga in Nigeria
- Scottish Independence Referendum: Call for International Observer and Monitoring Team
- Arrest and Investigate Pastor Oritsejafor Now - Buhari Vanguard
- Oritsejafor and Company: tainted and jittery – Nasir El-Rufai
- Boko Haram vs MASSOB: Making a Sense of Nigeria's New Evils
- Why Liyel Imoke’s Staff Who Have Governorship Ambition Must Resign
- Of Manifest Psychosis & Psychiatrics in Politics
- Re: The Wages of Impunity By Professor Wole Soyinka
- Joe Igbokwe - a threat and danger to security of the Igbo in Nigeria
- Ohanaeze Ndigbo Elects Woman Leader
- Bombardier Challenger 601: Eagle Air Issues Statement
- Mayweather Defeats Maidana By Unanimous Decision Again
- Mayweather Must Counter Maidana’s Thuggery to Prevail
- Sexual harassment does not exist in Nollywood - Adokiye Kyrian
- Nigeria Super Eagles to Face South Africa in a Qualifier Crucial Game
- Keshi Bows to Pressure, Invites Uche for Bafana Bafana
- Anambra Sets Up Onyeanwuna Burial Committee
- Nigeria suffers 2-3 home defeat in Cup of Nations qualifier
- Money, Tradition, Legacy Fueling Mayweather-Pacquiao Mega-Fight?
- Anambra Plans State burial for Football Legend, Onyeanwuna
- NFF Elections: Battle for the Soul of the Nigerian Football Rages
- AFCON: Super Eagles Players Hit Camp for Congo, South Africa Matches
- Transfer Deadline: Done Deals for 2014\2015 Season
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- President Jonathan Hails Falconets’ Qualification for World Cup Finals
- Jonathan hails Falonet's Qualification for under-20 female world cup final
- EFCC Arrests Two Suspects for $7.9m Scam
- Bank IT worker declared wanted for $40m cyber-theft
- 67 S. Africans killed in Synagogue church collapse
- Nigerian caught in private jet smuggling $9.3m cash to SA
- Nigeria warplane used in fighting boko haram missing
- Oscar Pistorius found Guilty of Girlfriends' Manslaughter
- Oscar Pristorius found Negligent, but not Guilty of Murder
- BREAKING: Pistorius cleared of premeditated murder
- Nigeria says 'no evidence' US air marshal attacked in Lagos
- Sex Slaves: Like Boko haram, ISIS also kidnaps young girls
- Leaked Nude Photos of Celebrities Released Online
- Nigeria’s poverty level drops by 2.1%
- Former Governor Sylva’s Uncle Dies in Kidnappers’ Den after N5m ransom was paid
- Ebola: 4 Indian Doctors from Nigeria Quarantined
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks