- Written by Elombah.com
A SOLICITOR who was one of the UK’s most wanted fraudsters when he jumped crown court bail has been jailed for a multi-million pound scam. Ajayi Seun, a PDP kingmaker in Ogun State, Nigeria was sentenced to four years’ imprisonment for his part in a mortgage fraud worth more than £5.5 million, and involving in excess of 35
Seun, 46, had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud on the day his trial was due to begin, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
However, the alleged main perpetrator of the scam Samuel Ajiboye is currently on the run and is believed to have fled back to Nigeria.
The fraud centred on the Foxgrove Gardens development off Foxhall Road, on the former site of Bull Motors.
Sentencing Seun, of Carshalton, Surrey, Judge David Goodin said: “This was, on any construction, a massive fraud on lending institutions principally, but also on occasionally the deception of borrowers.”
The court heard more than £5m went through the client account of Doves solicitors in London, where Seun was a partner.
Fictitious identities were created and documents were forged to obtain the money from lenders.
However some real names were used and borrowers were also deceived as to their borrowing capacity by the inflation of their income or prospects, which were submitted to the lending institutions.
Judge Goodin said they were “stung badly”, and the lenders were “massively defrauded”.
He added: “You Ajayi Seun, were a key player in this conspiracy. Samuel Ajiboye was plainly at the centre, pulling the strings, taking - I have no doubt - the lion’s share in terms of profits out of the systematic dishonesty and fraudulent behaviour which characterised this conspiracy from start to finish.”
“He needed a dishonest solicitor to act for the unwitting or fictitious third party purchasers, and he found you.
“You are a disgrace and bring into disrepute your profession.”
Seun had skipped bail for a relatively short period of time, fleeing to Nigeria. In August last year Crimestoppers named him among the top ten most wanted fraudsters. He subsequently returned to England voluntarily to face the fraud charge.
Didi Jordan, 45, of Thornton Heath Surrey, and Janet Mukasa, 49, of Sittingbourne, Kent, were sentenced three years and two years imprisonment respectively after being convicted of conspiracy to defraud and money laundering.
- Boko Haram Dares Buhari; Launches Rocket Attack on Maiduguri
- Breaking! Buhari sworn in as Nigeria’s president
- Nigeria: Presidential Inauguration Highlights and Pictures
- BREAKING: Akinwunmi Adesina Emerges African Development Bank Boss
- Editorial: Ask your governor, where is the money?
- Probe Me, Jonathan Challenges Buhari
- DPR/Diezani Madueke: Deceiving Buhari On Renewed Modular Refineries’ Licensing
- US Govt -v- Buruji Kashamu: Full Transcript of UK Judgement
- Ifeanyi Ubah Forces Down Fuel Price, Crisis Averted
- BREAKING: Trouble Looms as Airline Operators Plan Protest, Strike over Fuel Scarcity
- How Buhari was disgraced at Downing Street
- UPDATE: NDLEA in Masks, Storm Kashamu’s Residence for Extradition
- How Obiano Bought PDP Candidates with N250m to Discontinue Court Cases against APGA
- Shame: Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer crippled by fuel shortages
- Happening Now: Farewell Service for Chukwumerije at Abuja Airport [Photos]
- Tony Anenih Resigns as PDP BoT Chairman
- Breaking News! Muazu Resigns as PDP Chairman with immediate effect!
- [Correction] Unizik Vice Chancellor Suspends SUG President after he alleged corruption
- Jonathan incurs N5tn domestic debt in 5 years, Governors incurred $5.85b
- Boko Haram Militants Raped Hundreds of Female Captives in Nigeria
- Princewill congratulates his opponent, an officer and a gentleman
- A’Ibom State Has No Legitimate Governor, by Inibehe Effiong
- Re: the petition that exposed Imo Speaker, by Chinomso Obi
- Release the Biafra Surrender Document Now!
- Re: Obiano: The Face of Wickedness
- A work-plan for President Buhari, by Mukhtar Jarmajo
- It is time to work – Abia Governor in his inaugural speech
- Calabar International Convention Center: Jewel on the crown, by Aloy Ejimakor
- A Quick Analysis of President Muhammadu Buhari’s Inaugural Address to the Nation, by Ben Aduba
- As Buhari takes over… by Law Mefor
- Full Text Of The Inaugural Speech Of President Muhammadu Buhari
- A new Nigeria is possible beginning today - Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- The Deal Is Done; Buhari Is President, by Elvis Ezeani
- Jonathan at Inauguration Dinner; Dissolves Cabinet
- Nigerian Public Service: Labour Challenges Facing APC Governments, by Salihu Lukman
- The rise and rise of Owelle Rochas Okorocha, by Joe Onwukeme
- President Buhari: Dead end or the rebirth of a nation? By Chido Onumah
- The need to put the record straight on Anambra roads, by Mazi Odera
- Gov T. A. Orji: Ebere Wabara shames self, by Madubuko Hart
- Congratulations, Nigerians, it’s a New Dawn!
- Arsenal Thrashes Aston Villa 4-0; Grabs 12th FA Cup Title
- Akwa Ibom Deputy Gov's Billion Naira Mansion after only 2yrs in office
- FIFA dares America, Europe, elects Sepp Blatter to a 5th term
- Photos: President Jonathan hands over National Conference Report to President-elect Muhammadu Buhari
- Photo: President Jonathan & President-elect Buhari on a tour of the State House
- Photos: Presentation of Hand over notes to President-elect Muhammadu Buhari at State House
- Photonews: Jonathan's valedictory session of the Executive Council
- 7 FIFA executives arrested over £65m bribe in award of Russia and Qatar World Cups
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals: Cavaliers Stun Hawks 97-89
- Photo: See where volunteers that trekked for GEJ slept in Bayelsa
- NBA Western Conference Finals Game One: Warriors 110,Rockets 106
- Oshiomhole’s new wife performs first role as First Lady
- Photonews: Buhari, Dignitaries present as Oshiomhole Wed his Heartthrob
- NBA Playoffs: Warriors, Hawks, Cavaliers Alive; Houston in Trouble
- Bayern Beats Barcelona 3-2
- Zik’s first son, Chukwuma Azikiwe dies at 75
- Alvarez Whacks Game James Kirkland in Round Three
- UK doctor from Nigeria and wife illegally enslaved man for 24 years
- Mayweather Frustrates Pacquiao in Victory Number 48
- Mayweather beats Pacquiao in the 'fight of the century'
- Chad Repels Boko Haram Attack, Kills 33 Militants, Loses 3 Soldiers
- Planes leaving JFK airport hit by lasers while flying over Long Island
- ECOWAS to Adopt Single Biometric Identity Card
- Nigeria Celebrates ECOWAS at Forty
- Video Evidence Show Foreign Mercenaries among Boko Haram Fighters
- India heatwave kills 800, as capital's roads melt
- 4 great enemies Buhari must terminate after being sworn on May 29
- Burundi opposition figure Zedi Feruzi shot dead
- German woman Annegret Raunig gives birth to qaudruplets at age 65
- Buhari Meets UK Prime Minister at Downing Street
- Highlights of the 47th Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Govt
- West African leaders shelve third-term ban proposal
- Obama Sends Kerry to lead US delegation at Buhari’s inauguration
- Nigeria 2015: Beyond the Ballot
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives