- Written by Elombah.com
A SOLICITOR who was one of the UK’s most wanted fraudsters when he jumped crown court bail has been jailed for a multi-million pound scam. Ajayi Seun, a PDP kingmaker in Ogun State, Nigeria was sentenced to four years’ imprisonment for his part in a mortgage fraud worth more than £5.5 million, and involving in excess of 35
Seun, 46, had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud on the day his trial was due to begin, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
However, the alleged main perpetrator of the scam Samuel Ajiboye is currently on the run and is believed to have fled back to Nigeria.
The fraud centred on the Foxgrove Gardens development off Foxhall Road, on the former site of Bull Motors.
Sentencing Seun, of Carshalton, Surrey, Judge David Goodin said: “This was, on any construction, a massive fraud on lending institutions principally, but also on occasionally the deception of borrowers.”
The court heard more than £5m went through the client account of Doves solicitors in London, where Seun was a partner.
Fictitious identities were created and documents were forged to obtain the money from lenders.
However some real names were used and borrowers were also deceived as to their borrowing capacity by the inflation of their income or prospects, which were submitted to the lending institutions.
Judge Goodin said they were “stung badly”, and the lenders were “massively defrauded”.
He added: “You Ajayi Seun, were a key player in this conspiracy. Samuel Ajiboye was plainly at the centre, pulling the strings, taking - I have no doubt - the lion’s share in terms of profits out of the systematic dishonesty and fraudulent behaviour which characterised this conspiracy from start to finish.”
“He needed a dishonest solicitor to act for the unwitting or fictitious third party purchasers, and he found you.
“You are a disgrace and bring into disrepute your profession.”
Seun had skipped bail for a relatively short period of time, fleeing to Nigeria. In August last year Crimestoppers named him among the top ten most wanted fraudsters. He subsequently returned to England voluntarily to face the fraud charge.
Didi Jordan, 45, of Thornton Heath Surrey, and Janet Mukasa, 49, of Sittingbourne, Kent, were sentenced three years and two years imprisonment respectively after being convicted of conspiracy to defraud and money laundering.
- Rot in Rivers State Revealed: Wike Visits Abandoned General Hospital [Photos]
- Central Bank of Nigeria, a Monster House of Corruption
- Revealed: Goodluck Jonathan secretly withdrew N500 billion from excess crude account
- Over 100 Captured Boko Haram Suspects Transferred to South East States
- Group fingers Wike, Mrs. Jonathan in N180bn UBEC fraud
- Boko Haram Scare: Anambra markets shut down
- Fraudulent Activities of Ms. Washima, Former SSA to Pres. Jonathan on Job Creation
- Buhari's priority is genocide-for-oil, not Boko Haram - Prof Chinweizu
- 42 killed in suspected Boko Haram attacks in Borno
- Buhari Warns Governors: Days Of Impunity And Fiscal Recklessness Are Over!
- Jonathan Left me an empty treasury - Buhari
- Buhari's Snail Speed; Naira Crashes in the Forex Market
- War against oil thieves: Buhari Orders Attacks in Akwa Ibom Creeks, Kills 350
- How Victor Umeh turned APGA into a personal ATM
- Buhari Denies Ordering Sale of 9 Presidential Jets
- Nigerian international kidnap ring smashed in Philippines
- Biogas Electricity: Viable alternative to improved power generation
- Obiano set to spend multi-million dollar component of Obi's savings for Anambra
- Senators, Reps to get N9 billion as wardrobe allowance
- Boko Haram: Buhari Orders Release of N4b to Joint Task Force
- Senate showdown: Why Saraki should be expelled from APC, by Eneh John
- Of party supremacy and elected officials, by Benjamin Aduba
- Imo: Guaranteeing Stomach infrastructure in time of change, By Cyril Aririguzo
- Obiano Slams Heavy Tax on Hotels and Fuel Stations in Anambra
- An open letter to the Director-General, NYSC
- What is Gov Ayade doing with 35 advisers! By Okoi Ofem Obono-Obla
- Gov Okorocha and the burden of expectations, By Joe Onwukeme
- Saraki, a northern conspiracy against Yoruba - by Bisi Akande
- How to Oust Generic Saraki via Nuclear Option, by Bayo Oluwasanmi
- Okonjo-Iweala Explodes: there was no “unauthorised spending” under me, $2.1 allegation is political witch-hunt
- I will not appoint Ministers because all Politicians are corrupt - Buhari
- Nigeria's foreign reserves fall to $29b, external debt hits $9.4b - CBN
- How to Introduce a New Dog to Your Household with an Existing one, by Jerry Akinluyi
- Terrorists attacks: Why we are missing the point! By Olalekan Adigun
- Are we are living in the last days of America’s empire?
- The need to revitalise the moribund state of the eastern district railway system
- Gov Ortom's First Month Scorecard: So Far, So Good, by Usha Anenga
- Open Letter to Jega: You saved Nigeria from another coup, by Imobo-Tswam
- Of Bailouts, recession, repression and repetitions, by Prince Charles Dickson
- Freedom is not free, by Mohammed Ibraheem Zakzaky
- Mentioning Messi's name saved my life - Argentine kidnapped in Nigeria
- Amazing: 3 different Nigerians hold 100m sprint records for Africa, Asia and Europe
- Photonews: Buhari visits his cattle in Daura Saturday, 20 June 2015
- Kano Slash Salary and Allowance of Political Office Holders by 50 %
- Swedish Women National Team Coach Turns Down Falcons’ Offer
- Enyeama faces the hammer after castigating Kaduna Venue
- Warriors Are Champs; Win Second NBA Title in 40 Years
- U-20:Mali Drops Germany, Qualifies for Semis; Senegal also through
- NBA Finals: Warriors One Win From Title, Beat Cavaliers 104-91
- Light Dims on Super Falcons as they lose 0-2 to Australia
- Super Eagles beat Chad 2-0, start AFCON qualifying with victory
- Flying Eagles Crash Out of FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Women World Cup: Cameroon opens in 6-0 style at Ecuador’s expense
- FIFA U-20: Mali Drops Ghana 3-0; Qualifies for Q/Final
- Lagos APC calls on party to punish treacherous National Assembly members
- Women's World Cup: Nigeria hold Sweden in 3-3 thriller
- Women World Cup: Germany crushes Ivory Coast 10-0
- NBA Finals: Cavaliers Even Series, Prevailing 95-93 Over Warriors
- Nigeria’s Flying Eagles Mauls Hungary 2-0, Ready for Germany
- Barcelona wins champion's league, beats Juventus 3-1
- ECOWAS Court Fixes June 30 for Burkina Faso Cases
- US Supreme Court backs use of lethal injection drug
- ECOWAS moves to eliminate street children syndrome in West Africa
- President Buhari Promises to Recover Nigeria's Stolen Billions
- June 26: Terrorists' Global ‘Day of Rage’, France, Tunisia, Kuwait Hit
- US Supreme Court rules gay marriage is legal nationwide
- Nigerian Homosexuals to Lead London March
- ECOWAS President Grants Audience to W/African Youth Leaders
- Pakistan heatwave: Death toll crosses 700 people in Sindh
- IS drowns, decapitates 'spies' in brutal new video
- ECOWAS to step up collaboration via “Council of Understanding”
- This is America's new $13 billion warship
- Nigeria World Bank Rep Pays Tributes to ECOWAS
- ICC is dangerous, S/Africa should withdraw - ANC leader
- ECOWAS to Eradicate Street Children in West Africa