- Written by Elombah.com
A SOLICITOR who was one of the UK’s most wanted fraudsters when he jumped crown court bail has been jailed for a multi-million pound scam. Ajayi Seun, a PDP kingmaker in Ogun State, Nigeria was sentenced to four years’ imprisonment for his part in a mortgage fraud worth more than £5.5 million, and involving in excess of 35
Seun, 46, had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to defraud on the day his trial was due to begin, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
However, the alleged main perpetrator of the scam Samuel Ajiboye is currently on the run and is believed to have fled back to Nigeria.
The fraud centred on the Foxgrove Gardens development off Foxhall Road, on the former site of Bull Motors.
Sentencing Seun, of Carshalton, Surrey, Judge David Goodin said: “This was, on any construction, a massive fraud on lending institutions principally, but also on occasionally the deception of borrowers.”
The court heard more than £5m went through the client account of Doves solicitors in London, where Seun was a partner.
Fictitious identities were created and documents were forged to obtain the money from lenders.
However some real names were used and borrowers were also deceived as to their borrowing capacity by the inflation of their income or prospects, which were submitted to the lending institutions.
Judge Goodin said they were “stung badly”, and the lenders were “massively defrauded”.
He added: “You Ajayi Seun, were a key player in this conspiracy. Samuel Ajiboye was plainly at the centre, pulling the strings, taking - I have no doubt - the lion’s share in terms of profits out of the systematic dishonesty and fraudulent behaviour which characterised this conspiracy from start to finish.”
“He needed a dishonest solicitor to act for the unwitting or fictitious third party purchasers, and he found you.
“You are a disgrace and bring into disrepute your profession.”
Seun had skipped bail for a relatively short period of time, fleeing to Nigeria. In August last year Crimestoppers named him among the top ten most wanted fraudsters. He subsequently returned to England voluntarily to face the fraud charge.
Didi Jordan, 45, of Thornton Heath Surrey, and Janet Mukasa, 49, of Sittingbourne, Kent, were sentenced three years and two years imprisonment respectively after being convicted of conspiracy to defraud and money laundering.
- In rebuke to Buhari, Obama meets Elumelu in Kenya
- Judiciary Is a Major Obstacle to Fight against Corruption - Chekwas Okorie
- President Buhari plans to split NNPC into two entities
- How President Obama disappointed Africa
- US Govt has ‘aided and abetted’ Boko Haram, says Buhari
- BREAKING: More than 40 feared dead after bomb blasts in Gombe bus terminus
- 100,000 Nigerians flee to Cameroon, Niger, as Boko Haram attack border towns - UNHCR
- Buhari asks Obama to help recover $150 Billion Nigeria Loot
- Secret Police Operations in Nigeria: The Rule of Law Is In Danger
- President Buhari will probe Jonathan's govt - Presidency Spokesman
- The Return of Presidential Dictatorship in Nigeria
- President Muhammadu Buhari, a sole administrator on the loose
- Twin explosions kill 50 Eid shoppers in Gombe market
- Nigeria sinks continuously in butchery under Buhari’s Presidency, over 1000 murdered
- Who says that President Buhari does not recognize SE as a zone?
- Buhari’s Sectional Appointments & Policies: Threat to Constitutional Principles
- [Update] President Buhari Fires Service Chiefs, Appoints New Ones
- Buharimeter Monthly Fact Sheet: Buhari’s June 2015, a Failure
- Horror! Boko Haram releases first beheading video since pledging allegiance to ISIS
- Timeline of Deadly Boko Haram Terrorist Attacks, 556 dead in 38 days
- President Buhari assures Cameroon they will keep Bakassi
- Femi Adesina: Everything a media aide should not be (Part 1)
- Ooni of Ife's Journalistic Legacy
- Crude Oil Theft: So Nigeria Loses 1.25 Million Barrels Every Day
- Igbos: Are they Lost black Jewish Tribe?
- Okorocha's symbolic handshake with Obama - by Joseph Chimezie
- What is Gov Ikpeazu doing about Roads in Abia? - By Odimegwu Onwumere
- Mungo Park and the Brass oil/gas free zone in Bayelsa – by Mozimo Beke
- El Rufai and the hypocrisy called #BringBackOurGirls – By Moh’d Seidu
- Senator Bukola Saraki: At a time like this! - By Olalekan Adigun
- PDP Lagos: Actions Carry Consequences - by Joe Igbokwe
- 2015 World Hepatitis Day: Preventing viral hepatitis - by Paul John
- Buhari’s Presidential Sallah Gift: Copy of the 1999 Constitution [Pt. 1]
- FG reawakening the Biafran spirit in Igbo nation - by Chukwudi Ohiri
- The 5% reason why Ekweremadu is being persecuted - by FCC Jones
- Role of sports in national developments - by Ayo Akinola
- Nigeria’s top 11 law villains of the month: June/July - by Sam Eleanya
- Abia govt and Alex Otti assassination attempt - by Nnanna Ijomah
- Letter to Bauchi State Governor - by Mukhtar Jarmajo
- Same sex marriage: Before we perish as ‘Salvation Armies’ - by Hardy Nwadike
- Nigeria Unveils Sunday Oliseh as Super Eagles Coach
- Breaking News: Oliseh arrives Nigeria for un-veiling as new Super Eagles Coach
- Is Serena Williams the greatest women's tennis player of all time?
- Photonews: Speaker in Asaba to commission a private Altar
- Stephen Keshi’s Sack by NFF Is "Unsubstantial", says his Agent
- Nigeria: Your next plate of rice may cost more
- Mentioning Messi's name saved my life - Argentine kidnapped in Nigeria
- Amazing: 3 different Nigerians hold 100m sprint records for Africa, Asia and Europe
- Photonews: Buhari visits his cattle in Daura Saturday, 20 June 2015
- Kano Slash Salary and Allowance of Political Office Holders by 50 %
- Swedish Women National Team Coach Turns Down Falcons’ Offer
- Enyeama faces the hammer after castigating Kaduna Venue
- Warriors Are Champs; Win Second NBA Title in 40 Years
- U-20:Mali Drops Germany, Qualifies for Semis; Senegal also through
- NBA Finals: Warriors One Win From Title, Beat Cavaliers 104-91
- Light Dims on Super Falcons as they lose 0-2 to Australia
- Super Eagles beat Chad 2-0, start AFCON qualifying with victory
- Flying Eagles Crash Out of FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Women World Cup: Cameroon opens in 6-0 style at Ecuador’s expense
- FIFA U-20: Mali Drops Ghana 3-0; Qualifies for Q/Final
- UK Prime Minister warns James Ibori: Britain is no home for your dirty money
- Barack Obama Becomes First U.S. President to Address the African Union
- Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings
- Whitney Houston's Daughter Dead at 22 after Nearly 7-Month Coma
- President Obama Reunites with Family in Kenya over Dinner
- European Regulators Approve of Malaria vaccine
- ECOWAS to review regional ICT strategy
- Stakeholders undertake to support implementation of the Kampala Convention
- ECOWAS pays tribute to Liberia’s Dr. Amos Sawyer
- Buhari to Obama: No to gay marriage - Presidency
- Boko haram: Two suicide attacks kill 20 in Cameroon
- Photonews: Obama welcomes Buhari at the White House
- South African Preacher Docked after Feeding Congregation Live Snakes
- Buhari to prosecute Obasanjo; reopens $182m Haliburton bribery case
- 16 Niger villagers killed in Boko Haram attack