- Written by Elombah.com
Nigerian security operatives yesterday mounted top secret operations against the Boko Haram militant group, and top commanders of the sect were arrested on Sunday, elombah.com has learnt. A military spokesman told the BBC
that two militant suspects had been arrested, one of whom later died but his identity remains unknown.
BBC Reports - The spokesman for Islamist militant group Boko Haram has been killed by Nigeria's military, reliable sources have told the BBC.
However, Boko Haram has not confirmed that Abu Qaqa has been killed.
A military spokesman told the BBC that two militant suspects had been arrested, one of whom later died but his identity remains unknown.
Analysts note that Abu Qaqa is an alias, so establishing his identity will not be easy.
The military has previously claimed to have arrested Abu Qaqa but this was denied by Boko Haram, who said the wrong man had been detained.
Premium Times reports - Sources in the State Security Service, SSS, say Abu Qaqa, the sect’s spokesman and other top commanders were arrested when the Kano State Joint Task Force, JTF, carried out a major raid on the sect’s hide-outs in Kano.
The Kano JTF has confirmed the raid and the arrests, but could not confirm the identity of the arrested Boko-Haram leaders.
However, independent sourcessay the sect’s spokesman, Abu Qaqa was one of those arrested.
The non-disclosure of the details of the arrested officers was because the arrested members were refusing to co-operate with security operatives.
The Federal Government is also being careful about disclosing the names of the arrested officials apparently for fear of embarrassment, the type it suffered earlier in the year when the government disclosed that Abu Qaqa, the sect’s spokesman had been arrested and it turned out to be false.
Spokesperson for the SSS, Marilyn Ogar, refused to comment on the arrests.
- Cameroon Pays High Price For Joining Boko Haram Fight
- Senate Confirms Appointment of Service Chiefs
- Photos: 178 captives freed from Boko Haram
- PDP staff carpets NWC: don't Use APC to cover your Corruption
- Buhari Moves Against Jonathan's aides, Seizes Abati, 12 others passports
- PDP is too Corrupt, NWC Extorted N1bn from Kogi governor, Wada, others to retain ticket
- UPDATE: Early Morning Blast Kills 5 in Maiduguri Market
- Oshiomhole Lied: Only the President Approves ECA Disbursement - Peter Obi
- In rebuke to Buhari, Obama meets Elumelu in Kenya
- Judiciary Is a Major Obstacle to Fight against Corruption - Chekwas Okorie
- President Buhari plans to split NNPC into two entities
- How President Obama disappointed Africa
- US Govt has ‘aided and abetted’ Boko Haram, says Buhari
- BREAKING: More than 40 feared dead after bomb blasts in Gombe bus terminus
- 100,000 Nigerians flee to Cameroon, Niger, as Boko Haram attack border towns - UNHCR
- Buhari asks Obama to help recover $150 Billion Nigeria Loot
- Secret Police Operations in Nigeria: The Rule of Law Is In Danger
- President Buhari will probe Jonathan's govt - Presidency Spokesman
- The Return of Presidential Dictatorship in Nigeria
- President Muhammadu Buhari, a sole administrator on the loose
- Between Buhari’s 'Good Governance' and Participatory Democracy - by Odimegwu Onwumere
- The "Corrupt Savior" and the mantra of change – by Fortizo Pen
- Climate Change and Health: Why We Can’t Wait Any Longer! - By Oladipupo Ajiroba
- Diezani Madueke, Oshiomhole and the stolen $6b oil revenue - by Obinna Akukwe
- Disaster management: Reflection on Abuja declaration - by Emmanuel Onwubiko
- NAFDAC: The Persecution of St. Paul - by Philip Agbese
- On the Aba military/police massacre of July 2015 - by Emmanuel Onwubiko
- Fight against Corruption: Let the Probes Begin - by Chukwudi Ohiri
- Response to Ahmed Aliyu on appointment of Lawal Daura as DG of DSS
- Adim Williams: The return of a theater aficionado - by FCC Jones
- A Senate of fools, blockheads, ignoramuses and idiots - by Bayo Oluwasanmi
- Imo Civil Servants' 5 Days Warning Strike: A Review - by Joseph Chimezie
- To your tents O South East? By Law Mefor
- Abia Election Tribunal: Spoliation and the quest for justice - by Nnanna Ijomah
- Still on the Power-Play between Okorocha and Imo Royal Fathers - by John Mgbe
- Can Igbo Play Opposition Politics in Nigeria for 10 Years? - By Igbokwe Joe
- The Labour Movement and the Politics of Change in Nigeria - by Ayuba Wabba
- Obingwa INEC arson: Climax of desperation - by Chinonyerem Abakwuo
- A very bad idea: Integrating the Fulani into modern day Nigeria
- Nigerian Youths: Everywhere but nowhere - by Joe Onwukeme
- Cristiano Ronaldo did soccer tricks for unsuspecting people while dressed as a bum
- Nigeria Unveils Sunday Oliseh as Super Eagles Coach
- Breaking News: Oliseh arrives Nigeria for un-veiling as new Super Eagles Coach
- Is Serena Williams the greatest women's tennis player of all time?
- Photonews: Speaker in Asaba to commission a private Altar
- Stephen Keshi’s Sack by NFF Is "Unsubstantial", says his Agent
- Nigeria: Your next plate of rice may cost more
- Mentioning Messi's name saved my life - Argentine kidnapped in Nigeria
- Amazing: 3 different Nigerians hold 100m sprint records for Africa, Asia and Europe
- Photonews: Buhari visits his cattle in Daura Saturday, 20 June 2015
- Kano Slash Salary and Allowance of Political Office Holders by 50 %
- Swedish Women National Team Coach Turns Down Falcons’ Offer
- Enyeama faces the hammer after castigating Kaduna Venue
- Warriors Are Champs; Win Second NBA Title in 40 Years
- U-20:Mali Drops Germany, Qualifies for Semis; Senegal also through
- NBA Finals: Warriors One Win From Title, Beat Cavaliers 104-91
- Light Dims on Super Falcons as they lose 0-2 to Australia
- Super Eagles beat Chad 2-0, start AFCON qualifying with victory
- Flying Eagles Crash Out of FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Women World Cup: Cameroon opens in 6-0 style at Ecuador’s expense
- Ebola vaccine heralded as 'potential game-changer'
- New multinational force chief pledges to crush Boko Haram 'very soon'
- Over 100 militants killed in anti-Boko Haram joint operation
- ECOWAS improvises measures for combating drug trafficking in W'Africa
- ECOWAS Reviews Strategy for ICT Growth and Development
- UK Prime Minister warns James Ibori: Britain is no home for your dirty money
- Barack Obama Becomes First U.S. President to Address the African Union
- Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings
- Whitney Houston's Daughter Dead at 22 after Nearly 7-Month Coma
- President Obama Reunites with Family in Kenya over Dinner
- European Regulators Approve of Malaria vaccine
- ECOWAS to review regional ICT strategy
- Stakeholders undertake to support implementation of the Kampala Convention
- ECOWAS pays tribute to Liberia’s Dr. Amos Sawyer
- Buhari to Obama: No to gay marriage - Presidency