- Written by Elombah.com
Nigerian security operatives yesterday mounted top secret operations against the Boko Haram militant group, and top commanders of the sect were arrested on Sunday, elombah.com has learnt. A military spokesman told the BBC
that two militant suspects had been arrested, one of whom later died but his identity remains unknown.
BBC Reports - The spokesman for Islamist militant group Boko Haram has been killed by Nigeria's military, reliable sources have told the BBC.
However, Boko Haram has not confirmed that Abu Qaqa has been killed.
A military spokesman told the BBC that two militant suspects had been arrested, one of whom later died but his identity remains unknown.
Analysts note that Abu Qaqa is an alias, so establishing his identity will not be easy.
The military has previously claimed to have arrested Abu Qaqa but this was denied by Boko Haram, who said the wrong man had been detained.
Premium Times reports - Sources in the State Security Service, SSS, say Abu Qaqa, the sect’s spokesman and other top commanders were arrested when the Kano State Joint Task Force, JTF, carried out a major raid on the sect’s hide-outs in Kano.
The Kano JTF has confirmed the raid and the arrests, but could not confirm the identity of the arrested Boko-Haram leaders.
However, independent sourcessay the sect’s spokesman, Abu Qaqa was one of those arrested.
The non-disclosure of the details of the arrested officers was because the arrested members were refusing to co-operate with security operatives.
The Federal Government is also being careful about disclosing the names of the arrested officials apparently for fear of embarrassment, the type it suffered earlier in the year when the government disclosed that Abu Qaqa, the sect’s spokesman had been arrested and it turned out to be false.
Spokesperson for the SSS, Marilyn Ogar, refused to comment on the arrests.
- How Obiano Bought PDP Candidates with N250m to Discontinue Court Cases against APGA
- Shame: Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer crippled by fuel shortages
- Happening Now: Farewell Service for Chukwumerije at Abuja Airport [Photos]
- Tony Anenih Resigns as PDP BoT Chairman
- Breaking News! Muazu Resigns as PDP Chairman with immediate effect!
- [Correction] Unizik Vice Chancellor Suspends SUG President after he alleged corruption
- Jonathan incurs N5tn domestic debt in 5 years, Governors incurred $5.85b
- Boko Haram Militants Raped Hundreds of Female Captives in Nigeria
- How the Seventh National Assembly Failed Nigerians [Part 2]
- Out-going governors created the NGF crisis - Dickson
- Disastrous Performance of the 7th National Assembly of Nigeria- Part One
- Nigeria is too poor for our leaders to act like multi-billionaires
- Why the ongoing immigration recruitment must be cancelled, by Muhammadu Buhari
- [Update] Nigerian Federal Secretariat Engulfed in Fire
- Lamido Sanusi: Unanswered questions on Nigeria’s missing $20bn
- Ndigbo and Nicodemus visits to Buhari
- Arase Confirmed as IG Police, Suleiman sacked due to indisciline
- Understanding the Structure and Philosophy of the New Biafra Struggle for Independence
- Nigeria Dirtiest Health Fraud: FMC, Owerri Medical Director in Unlimited Looting Spree
- Expose: 85% of Imo State Govt are homosexuals, belong to Ogboni, I will publish their names
- 11 Reasons Why Nyesom Wike Should Not Be Sworn In As Governor On May 29
- How to Stop Dogs Being Rough with Children, by Jerry Akinluyi
- Igbos, Stop Entertaining Fear! By Kabiru Tsakuwa
- FMC, Owerri: In defense of Angela Uwakwem, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- Rochas Okorocha: How Architect Franklin Okoli Was Brutally Murdered [pt. 3]
- APGA state chairmanship: Why Chinedu Nkwonta deserves a chance, by H. Madubueze
- Okonjo-Iweala: a hero or villain? By Uwa Eghomeka
- The peoples’ General mounts the saddle, by Okoi Obono-Obla
- Still on Fayose’s stomach infrastructure, by Olalekan Adigun
- Why Okonjo Iweala is Different from Alison-Madueke, by Ebun Asagbe
- House Report and Buhari’s First Major Call, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- Buruji, Justice and democracy: Buhari show your capacity, by Segun Odujinrin
- The Igbo furor over nothing, by Tochukwu Ezukanma
- Where Nigeria’s Power Roadmap Missed Road, by SKC Ogbonnia
- The end of the Goodluck Jonathan Nightmare, by Alexander Ezike
- What You Should Know About Dog Food Allergies, by Akinluyi Jerry
- The beautiful brides of Imo’s sixth assembly, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- Obiano’s visit to Buhari: Of Shadows and Substance, by Okey Anarado
- Joe Eto's persistent deception is anti-Igbo and un-Igbo, by C.C. Chikezie
- Buhari: The nation in patient expectation of a new era, by Peter Claver Oparah
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals: Cavaliers Stun Hawks 97-89
- Photo: See where volunteers that trekked for GEJ slept in Bayelsa
- NBA Western Conference Finals Game One: Warriors 110,Rockets 106
- Oshiomhole’s new wife performs first role as First Lady
- Photonews: Buhari, Dignitaries present as Oshiomhole Wed his Heartthrob
- NBA Playoffs: Warriors, Hawks, Cavaliers Alive; Houston in Trouble
- Bayern Beats Barcelona 3-2
- Zik’s first son, Chukwuma Azikiwe dies at 75
- Alvarez Whacks Game James Kirkland in Round Three
- UK doctor from Nigeria and wife illegally enslaved man for 24 years
- Mayweather Frustrates Pacquiao in Victory Number 48
- Mayweather beats Pacquiao in the 'fight of the century'
- Rio Ferdinand’s wife, Rebecca dies of cancer
- Nollywood actor Peter Bunor dies
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: PacMan Not Underdog in Grudge Match
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Highlights of the 47th Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Govt
- West African leaders shelve third-term ban proposal
- Obama Sends Kerry to lead US delegation at Buhari’s inauguration
- Nigeria 2015: Beyond the Ballot
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives
- ECOWAS Accra Summit to Review Regional Political, Security Situation
- ECOWAS Council of Ministers Ends 74th Ordinary Session in Accra
- Chuka Umunna Withdraws from Labour Leadership Bid
- Burundi coup bid: Some coup leaders arrested
- Asia tops biggest global school rankings
- BREAKING: Burundi General Declares Coup against President Nkurunziza
- Nigerian Senators, Reps cornered N600bn in 4 years but passed only 106 bills
- US State Department Hosts Conference Call with Stakeholders on Nigerian Elections
- U.S. drone kills Yemeni al Qaeda Chief linked to Paris killings
- Bizarre: 3 women rape man at gunpoint to collect his semen