- Written by Elombah.com
Nigerian security operatives yesterday mounted top secret operations against the Boko Haram militant group, and top commanders of the sect were arrested on Sunday, elombah.com has learnt. A military spokesman told the BBC
that two militant suspects had been arrested, one of whom later died but his identity remains unknown.
BBC Reports - The spokesman for Islamist militant group Boko Haram has been killed by Nigeria's military, reliable sources have told the BBC.
However, Boko Haram has not confirmed that Abu Qaqa has been killed.
A military spokesman told the BBC that two militant suspects had been arrested, one of whom later died but his identity remains unknown.
Analysts note that Abu Qaqa is an alias, so establishing his identity will not be easy.
The military has previously claimed to have arrested Abu Qaqa but this was denied by Boko Haram, who said the wrong man had been detained.
Premium Times reports - Sources in the State Security Service, SSS, say Abu Qaqa, the sect’s spokesman and other top commanders were arrested when the Kano State Joint Task Force, JTF, carried out a major raid on the sect’s hide-outs in Kano.
The Kano JTF has confirmed the raid and the arrests, but could not confirm the identity of the arrested Boko-Haram leaders.
However, independent sourcessay the sect’s spokesman, Abu Qaqa was one of those arrested.
The non-disclosure of the details of the arrested officers was because the arrested members were refusing to co-operate with security operatives.
The Federal Government is also being careful about disclosing the names of the arrested officials apparently for fear of embarrassment, the type it suffered earlier in the year when the government disclosed that Abu Qaqa, the sect’s spokesman had been arrested and it turned out to be false.
Spokesperson for the SSS, Marilyn Ogar, refused to comment on the arrests.
- The need to embrace the creeks has been re-energized - Asari Dokubo
- How Boko Haram won Nigeria's election for Muhammadu Buhari
- Buhari Officially Declared Winner of Nigeria Presidential Election
- Goodluck Jonathan's Loss: Posterity will Judge the North
- Statement by President Jonathan after announcement of presidential election results
- Wild Jubilation in Northern Nigeria as Buhari Wins Election
- See Full Result: Buhari is President-Elect
- BREAKING: Niger Delta Godsday Orubebe Attacks Jega, Blocks Election Result
- Update: Buhari leads with 2 million votes in 19 States, FCT declared by INEC
- Official INEC Result: PDP Takes Early lead in 9 States
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Presidential Results
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Live Presidential Election Results Every Minute
- Nigeria Decides: 2015 Presidential Election Live Updates
- Jonathan and Buhari: Between progression and retrogression, by Mazi Ogbonna
- Chekwas Okorie Outperforms All At Nigeria's Presidential Debates
- Germanwings plane crashes in French Alps, no survivors
- Who killed four aides of Imo HA speaker? By Kenneth Uwadi
- NMA Lagos State Chapter Finally Commences Indefinite Strike
- Ndokwa Youths Block Expressway, Protest Injustice, Marginalisation
- [Update] Emir of Bukkuyum Was Kidnapped in the Mosque
- Lessons from the 2015 presidential poll, by Paul John 
- Re-visiting Achebe’s ‘A man of the people’, by Martin-Hassan Eze
- Nigeria Decides: Omisore Congratulates General Muhammadu Buhari
- A call for national unity government in Nigeria, by Isimi Bunmi
- Buhari: Safeguarding the Igbo interest, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- The Die is Cast; Acceptance Speech by General Muhammadu Buhari
- Buhari receives Certificate of Return as President-elect
- Ndigbo are wise to align with South-South for Jonathan
- Inventing a scandal for Gov Obiano, by Ifeanyi Afuba
- Buhari: Nigerians voted their hopes, by Ugorji Ugorji
- PDP, Victim of Own Impunity, by Joe Onwukeme
- Abia Central: A clap for Gov T.A Orji, by Madubuko Hart
- I will not congratulate General Buhari
- Buhari: At the Appointed Time!
- Ifeanyi Ubah Introduces Guerilla Rigging in Anambra State
- I come to bury President Jonathan, by Omoni 'Toye Olusanmi
- The National Assembly Elections Results Do Not Reflect the Will of Ndi Anambra
- Nigerian Voters named Heroes of 2015 Polls - Former Nigerian Envoy
- APC declares victory in Nigeria election
- With 31 results declared, Buhari inching to victory
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- Release by Chairman of Authority of ECOWAS on Nigeria Presidential Election results
- Obasanjo writes to Nigeria's Buhari, indicates availability
- Nigerians Anxious as Zuma's son wants foreigners out of South Africa
- Obama praises President Jonathan for conceding defeat
- ECOWAS, international observers commend Nigeria’s peace committee
- Photos from Protest in Akwa Ibom State
- US, UK Warns: Signs of Political Interference in Nigeria Election
- Islamic State group beheads 8 Shiites in Syria's Hama
- Detroit woman arrested after 2 kids found dead in freezer
- ECOWAS Chairman, Mahama Appeals for Peaceful Elections in Nigeria
- Mexican wrestler dies following match with ex-WWE superstar Rey Mysterio
- Experts Meet on Academic Mobility Programme in West Africa
- Suicide Bombers Blow Up Yemeni Mosques, Kill Scores, Wound Hundreds
- Forbes analysis: Nigeria could be heading for economic crisis?
- Sierra Leonean Vice President Sacked!