- By Elombah.com
Yemeni protesters, angry over a film mocking Islam, on Thursday stormed the complex of the US embassy in Sanaa, defying efforts by riot police working as security guards to hold them at bay, an AFP correspondent said. Protesters torched a number of diplomatic vehicle as security forces used water cannons and warning shots in a bid
to drive them out.
Yemeni protestors take part in an anti-terror demonstration in Sanaa on September 12 (AFP, Mohammed Huwais)
Eyewitnesses said the demonstrators smashed windows of the security offices outside the embassy before breaking through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in eastern Sanaa
Statement on the Death of American Personnel in Benghazi, Libya
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
September 12, 2012
It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the death of four American personnel in Benghazi, Libya yesterday. Among them were United States Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and Foreign Service Information Management Officer, Sean Smith. We are still making next of kin notifications for the other two individuals. Our hearts go out to all their families and colleagues.
A 21 year veteran of the Foreign Service, Ambassador Stevens died last night from injuries he sustained in the attack on our office in Benghazi.
I had the privilege of swearing in Chris for his post in Libya only a few months ago. He spoke eloquently about his passion for service, for diplomacy and for the Libyan people. This assignment was only the latest in his more than two decades of dedication to advancing closer ties with the people of the Middle East and North Africa which began as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco. As the conflict in Libya unfolded, Chris was one of the first Americans on the ground in Benghazi. He risked his own life to lend the Libyan people a helping hand to build the foundation for a new, free nation. He spent every day since helping to finish the work that he started. Chris was committed to advancing America’s values and interests, even when that meant putting himself in danger.
Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago. Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal, and most recently The Hague.
All the Americans we lost in yesterday’s attacks made the ultimate sacrifice. We condemn this vicious and violent attack that took their lives, which they had committed to helping the Libyan people reach for a better future.
America’s diplomats and development experts stand on the front lines every day for our country. We are honored by the service of each and every one of them.
- Alarm as US fail to import a single barrel of Nigerian crude oil in July
- Boko Haram’s ‘ICT expert’ arrested - Vanguard
- President Jonathan Honours Taxi Driver, Traffic Warden, National Flag's Designer, Others
- Pres Jonathan is Planning Release of Chibok girls for Political Gains
- How top Nigerians fund Boko Haram - Stephen Davis
- Gov. Chime anoints Ifeanyi Ugwanyi as next Enugu governor
- VIDEO: Boko haram massacred by Nigerian army [viewers discretion]
- Fayose Reacts to the Violence against Ekiti Judge
- Breaking: Lagos Speaker Discharged of N600m Money Laundering Charges
- Gov. Okorocha Extends Free Education to Non-Indigenes in IMSU
- Collapsed Synagogue Building Is Illegal; South Africans to Sue Joshua
- Pandemonium in Ekiti High Court as Fayose Ordered Judge's Beating
- We've Killed Shekau, and waits for the next Shekau to emerge - DHQ
- Reps in $20,000 bribery scandal over $9.3m arms deal
- DSS, Niger State Govt and Fejiro Oliver: Our Stand
- Inside Gov Babangida Aliyu's Corrupt Empire: the article that got Journalist in trouble
- Boko haram in disarray as more terrorists surrender
- Inside TB Joshua’s broken temple
- Governor Amosun, You Lied!
- Sex Scandal Roils U.S.A Deeper Life Church
- Economic Blueprint for Attracting Business & Commerce in Igbo land
- Between Biafran War and Scottish Referendum: War as Wrong Means
- See Google's Funny Advert on Nigeria's Independence Day
- Nigeria At 54: The Shame Of A Nation And Why We Should Not Celebrate By Inibehe Effiong
- Pursue peace with all men and holiness without which no man will see God - Tinubu
- Nigeria @ 54, Gov Orji Preaches Peace, Unity
- Nigeria at 54: The Change We Need
- Nigeria: The Time for Believable Change Is Now!
- Why Are Most African Presidents 70 and Above?
- A Thriving Culture of Corruption - ThisDay
- Text of Independence Day Broadcast by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
- CSNAC Demands EFCC Investigation of Oritsejafor's Private Jet Donor
- Nigeria@54: We Must End Mediocrity, Impunity and Corruption
- At 54, Lagos APC Says Nigeria Is Wrecked And Badly Needs Change
- El-Rufai Court Victory: A Salute to Liberty
- Give Fejiro Oliver Due Process: Gov Aliyu Protect Your Legacy
- Shehu Sani’s Faux Pas on General Muhammadu Buhari
- 2015: How to Rescue Nigeria from PDP’s Inept Leadership
- Our attitude towards leaders speak volume about us - Prince Chidi Ibeh
- A Case against Ike Ekweremadu - Open Letter to President Jonathan
- Breaking News: Amaju Pinnick Emerges NFF President
- Arsenal annual financial figures shows £4.7million profit in 2013/14
- Mayweather Defeats Maidana By Unanimous Decision Again
- Mayweather Must Counter Maidana’s Thuggery to Prevail
- Sexual harassment does not exist in Nollywood - Adokiye Kyrian
- Nigeria Super Eagles to Face South Africa in a Qualifier Crucial Game
- Keshi Bows to Pressure, Invites Uche for Bafana Bafana
- Anambra Sets Up Onyeanwuna Burial Committee
- Nigeria suffers 2-3 home defeat in Cup of Nations qualifier
- Money, Tradition, Legacy Fueling Mayweather-Pacquiao Mega-Fight?
- Anambra Plans State burial for Football Legend, Onyeanwuna
- NFF Elections: Battle for the Soul of the Nigerian Football Rages
- AFCON: Super Eagles Players Hit Camp for Congo, South Africa Matches
- Transfer Deadline: Done Deals for 2014\2015 Season
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- For the first time: US records zero import of Nigerian crude oil in July
- A third of people believe they married the wrong person (shocking facts about marriage and adultery in UK)
- Naked celebrity photos: Emma Watson next celeb targeted by hackers
- Woman acquires 3rd breast for $20,000 to make herself LESS attractive to men
- Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after iCloud Hacking Scandal
- Porn or Pop? Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea’s raunchy Booty video
- EFCC Arrests Two Suspects for $7.9m Scam
- Bank IT worker declared wanted for $40m cyber-theft
- 67 S. Africans killed in Synagogue church collapse
- Nigerian caught in private jet smuggling $9.3m cash to SA
- Nigeria warplane used in fighting boko haram missing
- Oscar Pistorius found Guilty of Girlfriends' Manslaughter
- Oscar Pristorius found Negligent, but not Guilty of Murder
- BREAKING: Pistorius cleared of premeditated murder
- Nigeria says 'no evidence' US air marshal attacked in Lagos