- Written by Elombah.com
Yemeni protesters, angry over a film mocking Islam, on Thursday stormed the complex of the US embassy in Sanaa, defying efforts by riot police working as security guards to hold them at bay, an AFP correspondent said. Protesters torched a number of diplomatic vehicle as security forces used water cannons and warning shots in a bid
to drive them out.
Yemeni protestors take part in an anti-terror demonstration in Sanaa on September 12 (AFP, Mohammed Huwais)
Eyewitnesses said the demonstrators smashed windows of the security offices outside the embassy before breaking through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in eastern Sanaa
Statement on the Death of American Personnel in Benghazi, Libya
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
September 12, 2012
It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the death of four American personnel in Benghazi, Libya yesterday. Among them were United States Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and Foreign Service Information Management Officer, Sean Smith. We are still making next of kin notifications for the other two individuals. Our hearts go out to all their families and colleagues.
A 21 year veteran of the Foreign Service, Ambassador Stevens died last night from injuries he sustained in the attack on our office in Benghazi.
I had the privilege of swearing in Chris for his post in Libya only a few months ago. He spoke eloquently about his passion for service, for diplomacy and for the Libyan people. This assignment was only the latest in his more than two decades of dedication to advancing closer ties with the people of the Middle East and North Africa which began as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco. As the conflict in Libya unfolded, Chris was one of the first Americans on the ground in Benghazi. He risked his own life to lend the Libyan people a helping hand to build the foundation for a new, free nation. He spent every day since helping to finish the work that he started. Chris was committed to advancing America’s values and interests, even when that meant putting himself in danger.
Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago. Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal, and most recently The Hague.
All the Americans we lost in yesterday’s attacks made the ultimate sacrifice. We condemn this vicious and violent attack that took their lives, which they had committed to helping the Libyan people reach for a better future.
America’s diplomats and development experts stand on the front lines every day for our country. We are honored by the service of each and every one of them.
- Tinubu compelled Osinbajo to take oath of resignation after 6 months as VP -PDP
- Update: Ebonyi HA Serves Impeachment Notice to Gov Elechi
- Photonews: President Jonathan Tours Boko Haram Flashpoints in 3 States
- Jega to receive notice of terminal leave next week - APC
- Boko haram: Army chief says war is almost over
- President Jonathan defies critics ahead of Nigeria polls - Financial Times
- Deadly Explosion rips through Bus, kills 10 on outskirts of Potiskum
- Fleeing Boko Haram Calls For Ceasefire
- Bizarre! 7yrs Old Suicide Bomber Blows Self in Potiskum
- Inside Story Of Missing $20bn - NNPC
- Boko Haram Release 158 Abducted Women
- Boko Haram: Troops Retakes Dikwa and Gwoza Training Base
- African Forces aim to Wipe out Boko Haram Starting next month
- Gov Amosun Raises Alarm: 600,000 Strange PVCs in Ogun State!
- Nigerian Military kills over 300 Boko Haram Militants in Battle of Monguno
- Update: Rivers Multiple Explosion Kill Policeman, Disrupts Rivers APC Guber Rally
- Labour Party Chairman, Nwanyanwu Resigns
- Appeal Court dismisses APC suit against Fayose
- BREAKING: Obasanjo Abandons PDP, Tears Membership Card!
- Female Bomber Attacks Yobe Motor Park, Kills 7, Injure 32
- Dealing with Food Aggression in Dogs
- Umeh lied on Odenigbo, yet to answer to allegations
- The Struggle for the Soul of Nigeria as Corruption fights back
- Buhari's Chatham house speech of contradictions
- Buhari is a better Christian than Jonathan
- N5bn Scam on Jonathan: Igbo Leaders Condemns Ohanaeze
- For God, For Country, For Glory!
- My Message to the Dogs & Baboons
- Imo widows place curses on Okorocha, Ndi Eze Imo, others
- Democratic Impunity!
- Photonews: Life returns to Mubi after troops recapture town from Boko Haram
- Prosecute Buhari for Kidnapping Umaru Dikko in London in 1984
- Vote Tonight at Fox News for Adanna Duru in American Idol to Win the Top Price
- Similes of born-to-rule terrorists in Nigeria and ISIS
- President Jonathan: The tale of the goat and the yam
- Odudu Ukpanah: Beyond the Social Media
- Photonews: Protests Mar Buhari's Chatham House Lecture
- Full Text of Buhari's Chatham House Speech
- Photos: Buhari arrives Chatham house for his speech
- The many concentric circles of conspiracy against Jonathan
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Picture of IS Axe Man 'Jihadi John' as Student Shown
- Russian opposition leader Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- Rwandan singer jailed for plot to kill president
- Foreign trader burned in S. Africa petrol bomb attack
- President Outtara Urges Joint Action against Statelessness in W Africa
- ECOWAS Moves to Make Its Volunteer Programme Sustainable
- US Auditor Commits Suicide after Declaring for Guber Race
- Iran Blows Up Mock US Aircraft Carrier in Latest Drills
- ECOWAS Members Adopt a Declaration on Eradication of Statelessness in W Africa
- 10 yr old Schoolgirl Esther Okade Enrols In University Maths Degree
- 90 Christians abducted by ISIL in Syria
- Abidjan to host 1st ministerial conference on statelessness in W Africa
- ECOWAS Expresses Solidarity with Nigeria, Urges Peaceful, Credible Elections
- Man beats wife on wedding night after failing to get her dress off
- Nigerian ministers reject Obama's criticism, vows to hold election