- By Elombah.com
Yemeni protesters, angry over a film mocking Islam, on Thursday stormed the complex of the US embassy in Sanaa, defying efforts by riot police working as security guards to hold them at bay, an AFP correspondent said. Protesters torched a number of diplomatic vehicle as security forces used water cannons and warning shots in a bid
to drive them out.
Yemeni protestors take part in an anti-terror demonstration in Sanaa on September 12 (AFP, Mohammed Huwais)
Eyewitnesses said the demonstrators smashed windows of the security offices outside the embassy before breaking through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in eastern Sanaa
Statement on the Death of American Personnel in Benghazi, Libya
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
September 12, 2012
It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the death of four American personnel in Benghazi, Libya yesterday. Among them were United States Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and Foreign Service Information Management Officer, Sean Smith. We are still making next of kin notifications for the other two individuals. Our hearts go out to all their families and colleagues.
A 21 year veteran of the Foreign Service, Ambassador Stevens died last night from injuries he sustained in the attack on our office in Benghazi.
I had the privilege of swearing in Chris for his post in Libya only a few months ago. He spoke eloquently about his passion for service, for diplomacy and for the Libyan people. This assignment was only the latest in his more than two decades of dedication to advancing closer ties with the people of the Middle East and North Africa which began as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco. As the conflict in Libya unfolded, Chris was one of the first Americans on the ground in Benghazi. He risked his own life to lend the Libyan people a helping hand to build the foundation for a new, free nation. He spent every day since helping to finish the work that he started. Chris was committed to advancing America’s values and interests, even when that meant putting himself in danger.
Sean Smith was a husband and a father of two, who joined the Department ten years ago. Like Chris, Sean was one of our best. Prior to arriving in Benghazi, he served in Baghdad, Pretoria, Montreal, and most recently The Hague.
All the Americans we lost in yesterday’s attacks made the ultimate sacrifice. We condemn this vicious and violent attack that took their lives, which they had committed to helping the Libyan people reach for a better future.
America’s diplomats and development experts stand on the front lines every day for our country. We are honored by the service of each and every one of them.
- Obiano Starts 2018 governorship campaign with bags of rice
- Boko Haram Kidnaps 50 Women, Scores of Children
- #BringBackJonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity, by Wole Soyinka
- Akwa Ibom Receives the Highest Allocation to States
- Elombah.com Issues a Disclaimer!
- Why And How INEC Is Creating New Polling Units - by Prof Jega
- What We saw In Akwa Ibom State- Part 2
- Obiano presents refurbished APC, Gives Cheque to Army, Appoints More Assistants
- Goodluck Jonathan's Hashtag: Most Inappropriate of the Year
- Appointment Of Chief Judge In Rivers State: Resolving The Crisis
- PHOTO: crowd at Reception for former governor of Akwa Ibom Victor Attah
- How Governor Willie Obiano Rules Anambra State
- Ibori Rejects Uduaghan’s Choice for Delta 2015
- 114 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Must Go In 2015
- Open Letter to Chief Orji Uzor Kalu (2)
- Ali Modu Sherrif Denies Sponsoring Boko Haram
- PDP Retorts Sharply to APC's Alledged Dance with Boko Baram
- 'Sponsors of Boko Haram are PDP and Presidency" - Oyegun
- Before Obiano bankrupts Anambra State
- Ebola: A Dangerous Virus; But How Does It Really Kill?
- Joe Igbokwe - a threat and gathering danger to the security of the Igbo in Nigeria
- Ohanaeze Ndigbo Elects Woman Leader
- Bombardier Challenger 601: Eagle Air Issues Statement
- Lagos Is Driving the National Economy Effectively
- Heads of Staff of ECOWAS Pledge to Support Fight against Ebola Epidemic
- Ebola: Health Workers Threaten Showdown with Obiano Over Poor Facilities
- Obiano Demolishes Ekesons Motors, Crippled 40 yr old business
- My grouse against Ihejirika
- Decoupling BILIE and Radio Biafra London from Council of Elders
- In Democracy, Governors Can Develop and Nurture Successors
- Boko Haram: The History and Anatomy of Conspiracy and Deceit
- Re: "I Will Pursue Creation of Apa State Till My Last Breath" - David Mark
- Akwa Ibom: Panic Attack Hits Collapsing Zoning Camp
- Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak in Nigeria: The Issues at Stake
- Jarret Tenebe and Saltpond Crude Oil Racket: What Is EFCC Up To?
- 2015: The Need for INEC to Allay the Fears of Southerners
- Uduaghan to Deltans: Don’t Be Deceived By Endorsements
- Olisa Metuh: PDP’s Broken Megaphone!
- Excerpts from “Ojukwu: The Last Patriot”, Referring to Gen Adekunle
- Akwa Ibom State: Confab Delegate Insists on Zoning
- Mayweather Defeats Maidana By Unanimous Decision Again
- Mayweather Must Counter Maidana’s Thuggery to Prevail
- Sexual harassment does not exist in Nollywood - Adokiye Kyrian
- Nigeria Super Eagles to Face South Africa in a Qualifier Crucial Game
- Keshi Bows to Pressure, Invites Uche for Bafana Bafana
- Anambra Sets Up Onyeanwuna Burial Committee
- Nigeria suffers 2-3 home defeat in Cup of Nations qualifier
- Money, Tradition, Legacy Fueling Mayweather-Pacquiao Mega-Fight?
- Anambra Plans State burial for Football Legend, Onyeanwuna
- NFF Elections: Battle for the Soul of the Nigerian Football Rages
- AFCON: Super Eagles Players Hit Camp for Congo, South Africa Matches
- Transfer Deadline: Done Deals for 2014\2015 Season
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- President Jonathan Hails Falconets’ Qualification for World Cup Finals
- Jonathan hails Falonet's Qualification for under-20 female world cup final
- Nigerian caught in private jet smuggling $9.3m cash to SA
- Nigeria warplane used in fighting boko haram missing
- Oscar Pistorius found Guilty of Girlfriends' Manslaughter
- Oscar Pristorius found Negligent, but not Guilty of Murder
- BREAKING: Pistorius cleared of premeditated murder
- Nigeria says 'no evidence' US air marshal attacked in Lagos
- Sex Slaves: Like Boko haram, ISIS also kidnaps young girls
- Leaked Nude Photos of Celebrities Released Online
- Nigeria’s poverty level drops by 2.1%
- Former Governor Sylva’s Uncle Dies in Kidnappers’ Den after N5m ransom was paid
- Ebola: 4 Indian Doctors from Nigeria Quarantined
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga