- Written by Admin
USA Ambassador to Libya was killed in a rocket attack in Benghazi, Libya. The American diplomat was killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, apparently in protest at a film attacking the Prophet Mohammed. Analysts say the Benghazi attack on US shows
post Arab Spring challenges in Libya. "The attacks on US diplomatic compounds in Cairo and Benghazi that reportedly left the US ambassador dead are a reminder of two intractable problems."
[An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi Photo: AFP/Getty Images]
The attack on Tuesday night followed another earlier in the day on the American embassy in Cairo, in which no-one was injured but the flag was taken down and torn up and replaced with the black flag used by radical Islamists.
The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff have been reported killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
The violence was condemned by Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, who confirmed the death of a State Department official. "We are heartbroken by this terrible loss," she said. She said that in light of the attacks the US would be stepping up protection of "our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide".
The mobs involved in both embassy attacks were mainly comprised of Salafis, followers of an ultra-traditionalist approach to Islam that has spread across North Africa as well as much of the rest of the Arab world from Saudi Arabia in recent years.
Although they were not the prime movers in the "Arab Spring" protests, they have become much more visible in countries like Libya where secular dictators have been overthrown.
They are incensed by a film made in America and promoted on Youtube entitled "The Innocence of Muslims" that is intended to expose the "hypocrisy" of Islam. It not only portrays the Prophet, which the religion prohibits, but ridicules him as a homosexual and advocate of paedophilia, and shows him having sex.
US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens (AFP/Getty Images)
It was apparently made by an Israeli-American businessman and backed by Terry Jones, the fundamentalist pastor who previously threatened to hold public burnings of the Koran. A version of the film, which is in English, has been dubbed into Egyptian Arabic and shown on the website of an Egyptian Coptic Christian businessman based in America.
In Cairo, the protests started on Tuesday afternoon, with hundreds of Salafists attacking and some climbing the fortress-like walls of the embassy. They did not enter the building itself, but one man managed to bring down the Stars and Stripes flag and replace it with a black flag with the Islamic inscription "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His Prophet".
That flag has become associated with Salafism, though other Islamist groups have used it in the Arab Spring.
The attack in Benghazi, which last year was the launch-pad of the revolution which overthrew Col Muammar Gaddafi and is a seat of Islamist politics in Libya, took place later in the evening.
The mob there was armed and sprayed the Libyan security forces defending the building with gunfire, and even shot rocket-propelled grenades. Overwhelming the defences, they then proceeded to hurl small home-made bombs at the buildings, loot it and then set it on fire.
Staff inside were evacuated, though not before one was shot dead, Libyan officials said. Another was injured in the hand. A number of Libyan security guards were seen being taken to hospital.
The State Department's initial reaction to the protests set off a political row. The initial statement by the embassy in Cairo, before the attack in Libya, condemned "the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims, as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."
The later statement, confirming the death of the consulate worker, by Mrs Clinton said: "The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.
"But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."
But Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, said: ""I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi.
"It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."
Nigeria's security forces must be on red alert for a possible spill over. The damage of the Dannish cartoon is still fresh in our minds.
- Idriss Déby’s Associate Arrested with Missiles for Boko Haram
- Dame Patience Plots to Remove Gov Dickson
- IGP orders Tambuwal arrested?
- Police acted professionally to forestall mayhem, says Ojukwu
- BREAKING: Supreme Court sacks Taraba Ag Governor
- Update: 120 Reps Sign to Impeach President Jonathan
- Boko Haram kill about 45 people in Borno state
- Chaos at National Assembly: Tambuwal Stopped, David Mark Orders shutdown
- Nigeria dire humanitarian situation worries the UN
- Adamawa Scandal: N5.5b missing during Fintiris' 86 days in office
- BREAKING: Tambuwal withdraws from APC presidential contest
- APGA: Appeal panel approves Ukachukwu despite lying on oath
- FG Extends State Of Emergency Rule in Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
- Court Strikes Out Tambuwal Suit on Security Withdrawal
- Suicide bomber kills 13 in Bauchi as Churches Wrecked, Men Hide in Trees in Nigeria Caliphate
- Breaking: suicide bomber kills several people in Bauchi
- Nigeria army takes back Chibok town from boko haram insurgents
- Revealed: How Boko Haram Captured Kidnapped Schoolgirls' Hometown
- Boko Haram: 7 Churches Set Ablaze in Northern Adamawa - Bishop
- Goodluck Jonathan Lacks Moral Right to Seek Re-Election
- Nigeria as an Animal Farm
- Bizarre: Pastor Undresses and Kisses Female Church Members Asses
- Plan to Arrest Tambuwal Is Recipe for Chaos – APC
- Lagos APC Condemns Raid on APC Data Center
- Addressing Our Elders in Preparation for 2015
- NASS Gate: Another Lie by Rivers PDP
- Group vows to stop Amaechi’s in-law over threat to Presidency
- Amaechi: An Inkling to Mr President
- It is Imperialists Urge to Depopulate Africa
- I Have Earned My People’s Support - Alimikhena
- Obiano’s wife Slapping Saga has vindicated Me – Uche Ekwunife
- 2015: the strides of APGA
- Abia and the Insanity of a Critic
- Tambuwal at the Beautiful Gate
- Re: Udom Calls First Lady Enemy of Akwa Ibom
- Democracy Assault: Hold Jonathan responsible - Tinubu
- Nigeria: A Nation on Death Row
- Are we becoming a police state or was this a coup?
- 2015 and Echoes of Anarchy
- Sir Emeka Offor Raises the Bar in Fight against Polio
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Gov Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Emerging Champions
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria from International Football Monday
- Bandits steal suspected Ebola blood in Guinea
- Revealed, the happiest countries in the world
- Railway Group signs Chinas' largest overseas contract with Nigeria
- I envy HIV/AIDS patients in Nigeria – Maureen Aisha Edward
- Fiancé hangs himself 4 days after fiancée called off wedding
- ISIS beheads another US aid worker
- Student had sex with sheep, says stressed about exams
- Photonews: Atiku holds meetings with Obasanjo
- Pregnant beggar seen driving Mercedes and counting money
- Anniversary of Berlin Wall: A Symbolic History
- United States Dedicates New Embassy Office Annex in Abuja
- Nigeria's Oil Production picks up, at a 10 year high
- Swiss prosecutors contact oil traders in Nigeria multi-billion dollar scam
- 'Nigeria Cyber Army' hacks Indiana Department of Education website
- Man burns daughter’s rapist genitals with tongs