- By Admin
USA Ambassador to Libya was killed in a rocket attack in Benghazi, Libya. The American diplomat was killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, apparently in protest at a film attacking the Prophet Mohammed. Analysts say the Benghazi attack on US shows
post Arab Spring challenges in Libya. "The attacks on US diplomatic compounds in Cairo and Benghazi that reportedly left the US ambassador dead are a reminder of two intractable problems."
[An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi Photo: AFP/Getty Images]
The attack on Tuesday night followed another earlier in the day on the American embassy in Cairo, in which no-one was injured but the flag was taken down and torn up and replaced with the black flag used by radical Islamists.
The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff have been reported killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
The violence was condemned by Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, who confirmed the death of a State Department official. "We are heartbroken by this terrible loss," she said. She said that in light of the attacks the US would be stepping up protection of "our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide".
The mobs involved in both embassy attacks were mainly comprised of Salafis, followers of an ultra-traditionalist approach to Islam that has spread across North Africa as well as much of the rest of the Arab world from Saudi Arabia in recent years.
Although they were not the prime movers in the "Arab Spring" protests, they have become much more visible in countries like Libya where secular dictators have been overthrown.
They are incensed by a film made in America and promoted on Youtube entitled "The Innocence of Muslims" that is intended to expose the "hypocrisy" of Islam. It not only portrays the Prophet, which the religion prohibits, but ridicules him as a homosexual and advocate of paedophilia, and shows him having sex.
US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens (AFP/Getty Images)
It was apparently made by an Israeli-American businessman and backed by Terry Jones, the fundamentalist pastor who previously threatened to hold public burnings of the Koran. A version of the film, which is in English, has been dubbed into Egyptian Arabic and shown on the website of an Egyptian Coptic Christian businessman based in America.
In Cairo, the protests started on Tuesday afternoon, with hundreds of Salafists attacking and some climbing the fortress-like walls of the embassy. They did not enter the building itself, but one man managed to bring down the Stars and Stripes flag and replace it with a black flag with the Islamic inscription "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His Prophet".
That flag has become associated with Salafism, though other Islamist groups have used it in the Arab Spring.
The attack in Benghazi, which last year was the launch-pad of the revolution which overthrew Col Muammar Gaddafi and is a seat of Islamist politics in Libya, took place later in the evening.
The mob there was armed and sprayed the Libyan security forces defending the building with gunfire, and even shot rocket-propelled grenades. Overwhelming the defences, they then proceeded to hurl small home-made bombs at the buildings, loot it and then set it on fire.
Staff inside were evacuated, though not before one was shot dead, Libyan officials said. Another was injured in the hand. A number of Libyan security guards were seen being taken to hospital.
The State Department's initial reaction to the protests set off a political row. The initial statement by the embassy in Cairo, before the attack in Libya, condemned "the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims, as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."
The later statement, confirming the death of the consulate worker, by Mrs Clinton said: "The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.
"But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."
But Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, said: ""I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi.
"It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."
Nigeria's security forces must be on red alert for a possible spill over. The damage of the Dannish cartoon is still fresh in our minds.
- If Buhari Was Killed By Assassins; Nigeria Would Have Been In Turmoil – Jonathan
- Court of Appeal affirms Gov. Obiano’s election
- Boko Haram Kidnaps Cameroon Vice Prime Minister’s Wife
- Genocide Averted in Kano Mosque as Police Discovers Bomb
- 5 Die As Catholic Church Got Bombed in Sabon-Gari, Kano
- Omisore Absent At Osun Governorship Election Debate
- BREAKING NEWS: Fresh Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again!
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Hits Kaduna, 25 Dead
- Chibok: 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die
- Nyako Was impeached because unable to pay Lawmakers N20 Billion - APC
- Where is the 200m released for Lead Poisoning Treatment in Zamfara
- Serial Killings of Muslims of Ngoshe, Chikide, Gavva, Agapalawa Villages in Borno State
- Boko Haram Takes Control of Damboa Town in Borno, Hoists Flag
- Ex Adamawa Governor, Nyako Flees Nigeria
- Security: tracking online activities for cyber terrorism, espionage, int'l crime
- Tobacco Smoking Bill: Memo Submitted by Environmental Groups
- BRICS establish $100bn bank and currency pool to cut out Western dominance
- What Happened To 5.1 Billion Naira Owerri North Council Funds?
- BREAKING NEWS: Governor Murtala Nyako Impeached!
- Impeachment: Panel indicts Nyako, absolves deputy
- Sallah Greetings: We Must Recommit Ourselves to National Unity, Peace and Progress
- 'Iyiola Omisore is a Moron' - Osun APC
- Asari Dokubo's Statement on the Attack on Buhari Is Callous
- Introspect, Osun Indigenes (Osun Ronu)
- Deputy Speaker to Nigerians: Pray for End to Insurgency
- Tinubu’s Contributions to Democracy in Nigeria - Idowu Ajanaku
- Group Condemns PDP Candidates’ Absence at Debate
- Bamidele Aturu, My Mentor and Leader, a Rare National Treasure
- As Omisore Evades Debate, What Next For Him?
- Aturu: the Patriot Who Lived His Vision and Mission - A Tribute
- World Igbo Congress (2012-2014); the State of the Union
- Who Is Behind the Insurgency in the Land?
- And Yet, the Military Goofed Again!
- Remain Strong and Resolute In Defence of National Unity, President Jonathan at Eid-El-Fitri
- Questions Imo Police Command Should Answer Nigerians
- I did not say I will kill anybody - Akpabio Cries Out
- Operation ‘Save Our Armed Forces’
- The Problem with Udom Emmanuel, Akpabio’s Puppet
- Imoke, Peter Obi: Exemplars of good governance
- Time for the Church to Embrace an Expanded and Harmonized Narrative
- Ahmed Musa Inspires CSKA Moscow to Sixth Super Cup Title
- Golovkin Spectacularly Stops Daniel Geale
- Golovkin: Knockout Champion Defends Title against Daniel Geale
- Embattled NFF President Aminu Maigari Sacked Over Financial Misappropriation
- French Star, Evra Completes Juve Move
- Chisora Opts out of Tyson Fury Saturday Bout
- I am still in the National Team – Enyeama
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Nigeria striker rejected by keshi, signed for club record fee
- Manny Pacquiao Announces Fight with Algieri
- Louis van Gaal Starts Work at Manchester United
- Battle of Ogwumikes: Elder Nneka Prevails Over Chinyere in Historic Matchup
- Maradona, Blatter Disagree with Messi best-player award
- Scolari 'sacked' as Brazil manager after World Cup failure
- Germany Wins the World Cup!
- World Cup Finals Preview: Argentina vs. Germany
- Alvarez Survives Attrition War with Determined Lara
- Suarez Confirms Barcelona Move
- World Cup Third–place preview: Brazil vs Netherlands
- 200 Ghanaian Fans seek Religious Asylum in Brazil
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims
- Appeal court overturns Berlusconi convictions in underage sex case
- Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine: BBC updates
- Tulisa supplied cocaine after she was offered Hollywood film role