- Written by Admin
USA Ambassador to Libya was killed in a rocket attack in Benghazi, Libya. The American diplomat was killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, apparently in protest at a film attacking the Prophet Mohammed. Analysts say the Benghazi attack on US shows
post Arab Spring challenges in Libya. "The attacks on US diplomatic compounds in Cairo and Benghazi that reportedly left the US ambassador dead are a reminder of two intractable problems."
[An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi Photo: AFP/Getty Images]
The attack on Tuesday night followed another earlier in the day on the American embassy in Cairo, in which no-one was injured but the flag was taken down and torn up and replaced with the black flag used by radical Islamists.
The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff have been reported killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
The violence was condemned by Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, who confirmed the death of a State Department official. "We are heartbroken by this terrible loss," she said. She said that in light of the attacks the US would be stepping up protection of "our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide".
The mobs involved in both embassy attacks were mainly comprised of Salafis, followers of an ultra-traditionalist approach to Islam that has spread across North Africa as well as much of the rest of the Arab world from Saudi Arabia in recent years.
Although they were not the prime movers in the "Arab Spring" protests, they have become much more visible in countries like Libya where secular dictators have been overthrown.
They are incensed by a film made in America and promoted on Youtube entitled "The Innocence of Muslims" that is intended to expose the "hypocrisy" of Islam. It not only portrays the Prophet, which the religion prohibits, but ridicules him as a homosexual and advocate of paedophilia, and shows him having sex.
US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens (AFP/Getty Images)
It was apparently made by an Israeli-American businessman and backed by Terry Jones, the fundamentalist pastor who previously threatened to hold public burnings of the Koran. A version of the film, which is in English, has been dubbed into Egyptian Arabic and shown on the website of an Egyptian Coptic Christian businessman based in America.
In Cairo, the protests started on Tuesday afternoon, with hundreds of Salafists attacking and some climbing the fortress-like walls of the embassy. They did not enter the building itself, but one man managed to bring down the Stars and Stripes flag and replace it with a black flag with the Islamic inscription "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His Prophet".
That flag has become associated with Salafism, though other Islamist groups have used it in the Arab Spring.
The attack in Benghazi, which last year was the launch-pad of the revolution which overthrew Col Muammar Gaddafi and is a seat of Islamist politics in Libya, took place later in the evening.
The mob there was armed and sprayed the Libyan security forces defending the building with gunfire, and even shot rocket-propelled grenades. Overwhelming the defences, they then proceeded to hurl small home-made bombs at the buildings, loot it and then set it on fire.
Staff inside were evacuated, though not before one was shot dead, Libyan officials said. Another was injured in the hand. A number of Libyan security guards were seen being taken to hospital.
The State Department's initial reaction to the protests set off a political row. The initial statement by the embassy in Cairo, before the attack in Libya, condemned "the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims, as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."
The later statement, confirming the death of the consulate worker, by Mrs Clinton said: "The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.
"But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."
But Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, said: ""I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi.
"It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."
Nigeria's security forces must be on red alert for a possible spill over. The damage of the Dannish cartoon is still fresh in our minds.
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Live Presidential Election Results Every Minute
- Nigeria Decides: 2015 Presidential Election Live Updates
- Jonathan and Buhari: Between progression and retrogression, by Mazi Ogbonna
- Chekwas Okorie Outperforms All At Nigeria's Presidential Debates
- Germanwings plane crashes in French Alps, no survivors
- Who killed four aides of Imo HA speaker? By Kenneth Uwadi
- NMA Lagos State Chapter Finally Commences Indefinite Strike
- Ndokwa Youths Block Expressway, Protest Injustice, Marginalisation
- [Update] Emir of Bukkuyum Was Kidnapped in the Mosque
- Revealed: General Buhari Was Arrested in the UK
- Breaking: War breaks out in Obiano's community between Aguleri and Anam
- Stolen! $142bn Nigeria's Oil Revenue in 5 Years; additional financial maths
- Delta is finished! Uduaghan sets to borrow N50bn after bribing Sec DG with N2b
- Breaking: Jonathan Swears in Obanikoro Seven Others as Ministers
- EXCLUSIVE: How I was abducted, kissed death and released from Boko Haram
- High Calibre Explosion Rocks Udi in Enugu
- Sack Jega Now! - Oodua Peoples Congress
- Mysterious Fire Guts INEC Electoral Institute
- [UPDATE] Fulani Herdsmen Attack Benue Village, Kill 90
- Boko Haram: Twin Explosions Rock Displaced Persons Camp in Maiduguri
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Live Anambra Election Results Every Minute
- T A Orji wins Abia Central Senatorial Elections
- INEC warns against premature announcement of results
- APC warns against attempt to announce fake election results
- Matters arising from the Presidential and National Assembly Elections
- Nggilari, INEC disenfranchised many IDPs in Adamawa - Boni Haruna
- Expect Collated Results on Monday, Only 2 State Results Ready - Jega
- Orumba North/South Elections, Our People's Will Not Reflected - Okonkwo
- Okorocha Tears INEC Report Sheet in Imo State
- TAN Boss -Ifeanyi Uba, Obijackson, Fight Dirty at INEC Collation Centers, Many injured
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Ecowas Observer Mission Preliminary Declaration
- If Goodluck Jonathan Loses...
- Official: Buhari leads Jonathan in Ogun, APGA Leads in Anambra, Jonathan Leads in Ekiti
- BREAKING: INEC announces Gamawa LGA final results, More results from Anambra, Ogun, Osun
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Violent Protest in Rivers State Voters Over Irregularities
- Jonathan's Aide Lynched In Kano, Aides Sustain Injury
- El Rufai, Fani Kayode Delivers Ward to APC, PDP
- Live Results from Ekiti: PDP in early lead
- Jonathans Aide Lynched In Kano, Aides Sustain Injury
- Buhari Defeats Jonathan at Aso Villa polling units
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- Detroit woman arrested after 2 kids found dead in freezer
- ECOWAS Chairman, Mahama Appeals for Peaceful Elections in Nigeria
- Mexican wrestler dies following match with ex-WWE superstar Rey Mysterio
- Experts Meet on Academic Mobility Programme in West Africa
- Suicide Bombers Blow Up Yemeni Mosques, Kill Scores, Wound Hundreds
- Forbes analysis: Nigeria could be heading for economic crisis?
- Sierra Leonean Vice President Sacked!
- Megachurch pastor seeks donations for pricey private jet
- Woman sets herself on fire, crashes car, jumps off bridge, yet lives
- Elderly Nun Raped in Indian Convent School
- US Shuts Saudi Embassy over Security Fears
- Policeman killed as gunmen abduct three Chinese in Nigeria
- Ivory Coast's 'Iron Lady' jailed for 20 years over election violence
- Solar-Powered Airplane: Global flight completes first leg
- Putin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot