- By Admin
USA Ambassador to Libya was killed in a rocket attack in Benghazi, Libya. The American diplomat was killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, apparently in protest at a film attacking the Prophet Mohammed. Analysts say the Benghazi attack on US shows
post Arab Spring challenges in Libya. "The attacks on US diplomatic compounds in Cairo and Benghazi that reportedly left the US ambassador dead are a reminder of two intractable problems."
[An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi Photo: AFP/Getty Images]
The attack on Tuesday night followed another earlier in the day on the American embassy in Cairo, in which no-one was injured but the flag was taken down and torn up and replaced with the black flag used by radical Islamists.
The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff have been reported killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
The violence was condemned by Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, who confirmed the death of a State Department official. "We are heartbroken by this terrible loss," she said. She said that in light of the attacks the US would be stepping up protection of "our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide".
The mobs involved in both embassy attacks were mainly comprised of Salafis, followers of an ultra-traditionalist approach to Islam that has spread across North Africa as well as much of the rest of the Arab world from Saudi Arabia in recent years.
Although they were not the prime movers in the "Arab Spring" protests, they have become much more visible in countries like Libya where secular dictators have been overthrown.
They are incensed by a film made in America and promoted on Youtube entitled "The Innocence of Muslims" that is intended to expose the "hypocrisy" of Islam. It not only portrays the Prophet, which the religion prohibits, but ridicules him as a homosexual and advocate of paedophilia, and shows him having sex.
US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens (AFP/Getty Images)
It was apparently made by an Israeli-American businessman and backed by Terry Jones, the fundamentalist pastor who previously threatened to hold public burnings of the Koran. A version of the film, which is in English, has been dubbed into Egyptian Arabic and shown on the website of an Egyptian Coptic Christian businessman based in America.
In Cairo, the protests started on Tuesday afternoon, with hundreds of Salafists attacking and some climbing the fortress-like walls of the embassy. They did not enter the building itself, but one man managed to bring down the Stars and Stripes flag and replace it with a black flag with the Islamic inscription "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His Prophet".
That flag has become associated with Salafism, though other Islamist groups have used it in the Arab Spring.
The attack in Benghazi, which last year was the launch-pad of the revolution which overthrew Col Muammar Gaddafi and is a seat of Islamist politics in Libya, took place later in the evening.
The mob there was armed and sprayed the Libyan security forces defending the building with gunfire, and even shot rocket-propelled grenades. Overwhelming the defences, they then proceeded to hurl small home-made bombs at the buildings, loot it and then set it on fire.
Staff inside were evacuated, though not before one was shot dead, Libyan officials said. Another was injured in the hand. A number of Libyan security guards were seen being taken to hospital.
The State Department's initial reaction to the protests set off a political row. The initial statement by the embassy in Cairo, before the attack in Libya, condemned "the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims, as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."
The later statement, confirming the death of the consulate worker, by Mrs Clinton said: "The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.
"But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."
But Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, said: ""I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi.
"It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."
Nigeria's security forces must be on red alert for a possible spill over. The damage of the Dannish cartoon is still fresh in our minds.
- 2015: PDP and APGA Battle over support for Jonathan
- DISCOVERED: The Islamic State's Terror Laptop of Doom
- Northern Leaders Should Fight this not Jonathan
- “Don’t Grant Waiver To Ribadu, Marwa, Gundiri, Modibbo And Kama”
- EXPOSED: Details of the Ebola Virus Doctor Which the Government Hides
- Breaking News: Sheriff, Ihejirika Named Boko Haram Sponsors, Elrufai also implicated
- Details of 27 Council Funds Squandered by Governor Okorocha
- Nigerian politicians are Boko Haram’s “primary" Sponsors – Stephen Davis
- "We Ran Out Of Ammunition" - Nigeria Soldiers Who Fled Into Cameroon
- Ogun State: Gauging Amosun Welfare Package on a Scale
- Nigerian Soldiers Flee from Boko Haram to Cameroon
- Documents showing Peter Obi left N86bn for Willie Obiano
- Redeployment of AIGs: Intersociety Rejects Exclusion of Southeast Zone
- Betrayal In Anambra; Obiano Sets To Play Fast One On Obi
- My two day working visit to Akwa Ibom State - part 1
- BREAKING: Nigeria Records Two Fresh Ebola Secondary cases
- BREAKING NEWS: Boko Haram Invades Police Training College
- Labaran Maku Vows to Become Nasarawa State Governor in 2015
- El Rufai ridicules Ribadu's return to PDP
- BREAKING: Lagos Confirms Five New Ebola Cases
- Plot to Destabilize Ogoni: Group Defend Wike, Accuses MOSOP
- Lagos State Government, Tax Revenues and Alpha Beta Company
- President Jonathan, Other African Leaders to Meet On More Joint Action Against Terrorism
- Cattle Rearing, Fulani Herdsmen and Divisive Politics
- Yoruba Alliance with Northerners Is a Fool’s Gold
- "Azikiwe Who Did Everything to..."; the Questionable Cause Fallacy
- An Open Letter to My Friend, Dahiru Mohammed Lawal, on Islam
- Mallam Nasir El Rufai and the Politicisation of Terrorism
- Stopping Adamawa Acting Governor: PDP Acted Too Late - Nyako
- Ikimi's Diatribe against Tinubu and the Limit of Political Buffoonery
- Please Leave APC Out of APGA, PDP Quarrel!
- Open Letter to Mr President on Why Diezani Deserves to Be Sacked
- Dissecting Ikimi’s Bikini Problem and His Hatred for Tinubu
- How President Jonathan Is Empowering Nigerian Youths
- The Australian Buffoon, El Rufai's Idiocy and Ihejirika's Outburst
- Mr. Aniekan John Umanah: Garland on a Gold
- James Foley Murder, the British and Biafran Story
- Nuhu Ribadu: The Futility of Trying to Stand Erect on a Moving, Rocking Boat
- Dora Akunyili All the Way!
- Was Admiral Murtala Nyako a Liability to APC?
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- President Jonathan Hails Falconets’ Qualification for World Cup Finals
- Jonathan hails Falonet's Qualification for under-20 female world cup final
- Fifa Rejects Barcelona FC Transfer Ban Appeal
- Suarez Unveiled at Barcelona FC; Promises Not to Bite Again
- AFCON Qualifier List: Osaze, Moses, Ideye Left Out
- Spanish Super Cup Preview: Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid
- England Kell Brook Stuns Shawn Porter, Wins Title
- Van Gaal Loses Debut Premiership Home Game at Old Trafford
- Keshi’s Passing Grade Needed In Other Sectors
- Nigeria Climbs a Step in the New FIFA Ranking
- Boxing: Fury and Chisora Get New Rematch Date
- Wayne Rooney Named New Manchester United Captain
- Ronaldo’s Brace Earns Real Super Cup Win
- Howard Webb Retires As Match Referee; Appointed Technical Director
- Nigeria’s poverty level drops by 2.1%
- Former Governor Sylva’s Uncle Dies in Kidnappers’ Den after N5m ransom was paid
- Ebola: 4 Indian Doctors from Nigeria Quarantined
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims