- By Admin
USA Ambassador to Libya was killed in a rocket attack in Benghazi, Libya. The American diplomat was killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, apparently in protest at a film attacking the Prophet Mohammed. Analysts say the Benghazi attack on US shows
post Arab Spring challenges in Libya. "The attacks on US diplomatic compounds in Cairo and Benghazi that reportedly left the US ambassador dead are a reminder of two intractable problems."
[An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi Photo: AFP/Getty Images]
The attack on Tuesday night followed another earlier in the day on the American embassy in Cairo, in which no-one was injured but the flag was taken down and torn up and replaced with the black flag used by radical Islamists.
The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff have been reported killed by an armed Islamist mob that stormed and set fire to the United States consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
The violence was condemned by Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, who confirmed the death of a State Department official. "We are heartbroken by this terrible loss," she said. She said that in light of the attacks the US would be stepping up protection of "our personnel, our missions, and American citizens worldwide".
The mobs involved in both embassy attacks were mainly comprised of Salafis, followers of an ultra-traditionalist approach to Islam that has spread across North Africa as well as much of the rest of the Arab world from Saudi Arabia in recent years.
Although they were not the prime movers in the "Arab Spring" protests, they have become much more visible in countries like Libya where secular dictators have been overthrown.
They are incensed by a film made in America and promoted on Youtube entitled "The Innocence of Muslims" that is intended to expose the "hypocrisy" of Islam. It not only portrays the Prophet, which the religion prohibits, but ridicules him as a homosexual and advocate of paedophilia, and shows him having sex.
US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens (AFP/Getty Images)
It was apparently made by an Israeli-American businessman and backed by Terry Jones, the fundamentalist pastor who previously threatened to hold public burnings of the Koran. A version of the film, which is in English, has been dubbed into Egyptian Arabic and shown on the website of an Egyptian Coptic Christian businessman based in America.
In Cairo, the protests started on Tuesday afternoon, with hundreds of Salafists attacking and some climbing the fortress-like walls of the embassy. They did not enter the building itself, but one man managed to bring down the Stars and Stripes flag and replace it with a black flag with the Islamic inscription "There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His Prophet".
That flag has become associated with Salafism, though other Islamist groups have used it in the Arab Spring.
The attack in Benghazi, which last year was the launch-pad of the revolution which overthrew Col Muammar Gaddafi and is a seat of Islamist politics in Libya, took place later in the evening.
The mob there was armed and sprayed the Libyan security forces defending the building with gunfire, and even shot rocket-propelled grenades. Overwhelming the defences, they then proceeded to hurl small home-made bombs at the buildings, loot it and then set it on fire.
Staff inside were evacuated, though not before one was shot dead, Libyan officials said. Another was injured in the hand. A number of Libyan security guards were seen being taken to hospital.
The State Department's initial reaction to the protests set off a political row. The initial statement by the embassy in Cairo, before the attack in Libya, condemned "the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims, as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."
The later statement, confirming the death of the consulate worker, by Mrs Clinton said: "The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.
"But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."
But Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, said: ""I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi.
"It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."
Nigeria's security forces must be on red alert for a possible spill over. The damage of the Dannish cartoon is still fresh in our minds.
- Obiano Starts 2018 governorship campaign with bags of rice
- Boko Haram Kidnaps 50 Women, Scores of Children
- #BringBackJonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity, by Wole Soyinka
- Akwa Ibom Receives the Highest Allocation to States
- Elombah.com Issues a Disclaimer!
- Why And How INEC Is Creating New Polling Units - by Prof Jega
- What We saw In Akwa Ibom State- Part 2
- Obiano presents refurbished APC, Gives Cheque to Army, Appoints More Assistants
- Goodluck Jonathan's Hashtag: Most Inappropriate of the Year
- Appointment Of Chief Judge In Rivers State: Resolving The Crisis
- PHOTO: crowd at Reception for former governor of Akwa Ibom Victor Attah
- How Governor Willie Obiano Rules Anambra State
- Ibori Rejects Uduaghan’s Choice for Delta 2015
- 114 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Must Go In 2015
- Open Letter to Chief Orji Uzor Kalu (2)
- Ali Modu Sherrif Denies Sponsoring Boko Haram
- PDP Retorts Sharply to APC's Alledged Dance with Boko Baram
- 'Sponsors of Boko Haram are PDP and Presidency" - Oyegun
- Before Obiano bankrupts Anambra State
- Ebola: A Dangerous Virus; But How Does It Really Kill?
- Obiano Demolishes Ekesons Motors, Crippled 40 yr old business
- My grouse against Ihejirika
- Decoupling BILIE and Radio Biafra London from Council of Elders
- In Democracy, Governors Can Develop and Nurture Successors
- Boko Haram: The History and Anatomy of Conspiracy and Deceit
- Re: "I Will Pursue Creation of Apa State Till My Last Breath" - David Mark
- Akwa Ibom: Panic Attack Hits Collapsing Zoning Camp
- Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak in Nigeria: The Issues at Stake
- Jarret Tenebe and Saltpond Crude Oil Racket: What Is EFCC Up To?
- 2015: The Need for INEC to Allay the Fears of Southerners
- Uduaghan to Deltans: Don’t Be Deceived By Endorsements
- Olisa Metuh: PDP’s Broken Megaphone!
- Excerpts from “Ojukwu: The Last Patriot”, Referring to Gen Adekunle
- Akwa Ibom State: Confab Delegate Insists on Zoning
- DISCLAIMER: Opobo Patriots Did Not Endorse Nyesom Wike
- "Please Allow Ihejirika to Defend Himself": A Response to Tsakuwa
- Attah's Reception at Asan Ibibio: A Semiotic Analysis
- When the Customer Is Always Right: Etisalat Nigeria (Part I)
- ECOWAS Defence Chiefs Pledge Support for Anti-Ebola Fight
- Nigerians Jubilate over Being Declared Ebola-Free
- Mayweather Defeats Maidana By Unanimous Decision Again
- Mayweather Must Counter Maidana’s Thuggery to Prevail
- Sexual harassment does not exist in Nollywood - Adokiye Kyrian
- Nigeria Super Eagles to Face South Africa in a Qualifier Crucial Game
- Keshi Bows to Pressure, Invites Uche for Bafana Bafana
- Anambra Sets Up Onyeanwuna Burial Committee
- Nigeria suffers 2-3 home defeat in Cup of Nations qualifier
- Money, Tradition, Legacy Fueling Mayweather-Pacquiao Mega-Fight?
- Anambra Plans State burial for Football Legend, Onyeanwuna
- NFF Elections: Battle for the Soul of the Nigerian Football Rages
- AFCON: Super Eagles Players Hit Camp for Congo, South Africa Matches
- Transfer Deadline: Done Deals for 2014\2015 Season
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- President Jonathan Hails Falconets’ Qualification for World Cup Finals
- Jonathan hails Falonet's Qualification for under-20 female world cup final
- Nigerian caught in private jet smuggling $9.3m cash to SA
- Mother and Daughter in a Lesbian Relationship
- Nigeria warplane used in fighting boko haram missing
- Oscar Pistorius found Guilty of Girlfriends' Manslaughter
- Oscar Pristorius found Negligent, but not Guilty of Murder
- BREAKING: Pistorius cleared of premeditated murder
- Nigeria says 'no evidence' US air marshal attacked in Lagos
- Sex Slaves: Like Boko haram, ISIS also kidnaps young girls
- Leaked Nude Photos of Celebrities Released Online
- Nigeria’s poverty level drops by 2.1%
- Former Governor Sylva’s Uncle Dies in Kidnappers’ Den after N5m ransom was paid
- Ebola: 4 Indian Doctors from Nigeria Quarantined
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks