- Written by Elombah.com
Professor Chinua Achebe, the father of African Literature is dead. He is 82. Achebe, one of the best fiction writers in recent history, died in his USA base, according to reports now confirmed by elombah.com. He was born on November 16, 1930, and had been in hospital in recent days. Achebe is best known for his classical novel Things fall Apart.
His last book, 'There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra', is still making waves and has proved very controversial in his native Nigeria.
Prof Achebe was a David and Marianna Fisher University Professor and Professor of Africana Studies at Brown.
Chinua Achebe, the internationally acclaimed Nigerian writer, has died, aged 82. Best known for his first novel, Things Fall Apart, Achebe was also a poet, professor and critic.
He died last night in Boston in the United States after a period of illness, according to friends. For the past four years, he was professor of African studies at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
Things Fall Apart is thought to be the most widely read book in modern African literature. On its publication in 1958, it turned him into a literary celebrity abroad and an influential intellectual in Nigeria.
The novel has sold more than 12 million copies and been translated into 50 languages. According to Nelson Mandela, Achebe “brought Africa to the rest of the world".
Achebe won the inaugural Man Booker International prize in 2007. Ten years earlier, his novel, Anthills of the Savannah, had been shortlisted for the British Man Booker prize.
Corruption was a recurring theme in his writing. A Man of the People, Achebe’s fourth novel, satirised post-Independence Nigeria. The book, published in 1966, was also remarkably prescient. It ends with a coup attempt – a fate that befell Nigeria later that year. Achebe was forced to flee the country after the military suspected him of involvement.
He was also a supporter of Biafra’s bloody breakaway from Nigeria between 1967 and 1970, and blamed the conflict on Nigeria’s colonial past.
Western writers were not immune from his criticism either. In 1975, he gave a lecture in which he accused Joseph Conrad as a “bloody racist”.
Achebe married Christie Achebe in 1961. She was a colleague at the Nigerian Broadcasting Service, where they both worked, and they had three children.
In 1990, he was in involved in a car accident in Lagos and required the use of a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
The university profile on Chinua Achebe on its website says:
“Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe is known the world over for having played a seminal role in the founding and development of African literature. He continues to be considered among the most significant world writers. He is most well known for the groundbreaking 1958 novel Things Fall Apart, a novel still considered to be required reading the world over. It has sold over twelve million copies and has been translated into more than fifty languages.
“Achebe’s global significance lies not only in his talent and recognition as a writer, but also as a critical thinker and essayist who has written extensively on questions of the role of culture in Africa and the social and political significance of aesthetics and analysis of the postcolonial state in Africa. He is renowned, for example, for “An Image of Africa,” his trenchant and famous critique of Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Today, this critique is recognized as one of the most generative interventions on Conrad; and one that opened the social study of literary texts, particularly the impact of power relations on 20th century literary imagination.
“In addition, Achebe is distinguished in his substantial and weighty investment in the building of literary arts institutions. His work as the founding editor of the Heinemann African Writers Series led to his editing over one hundred titles in it. Achebe also edited the University of Nsukka journal Nsukkascope, founded Okike: A Nigerian Journal of New Writingand assisted in the founding of a publishing house, Nwamife Books–an organization responsible for publishing other groundbreaking work by award-winning writers. He continues his long-standing work on the development of institutional spaces where writers can be published and develop creative and intellectual community.”
- 2015: INEC has already rigged presidential poll for the North
- Obiano Is Enchanting Road of Infamy -Anambra Group
- Attacks on Jonathan: This Nonsense Must Stop - Warns the presidency
- Attention Pius Anyim: Before INEC Sets Nigeria on Fire
- Exclusive: How Aso Rock official swindled Chinese firm in a multi-billion naira fraud
- Breaking News! Nigeria national security adviser urges INEC to postpone elections
- Chibok Girls Kidnap: The Untold Story
- Photos: fleeing Boko Haram's war on Nigeria
- Exclusive: See Buhari's Academic Records
- APC Rejects PDP Denial of Fayose Advert
- Army disowns Buhari...Says we don't have any WASC certificate
- Questions That Must Be Answered By Owelle Rochas Okorocha
- General Buhari will soon make his school certificate public - Aide
- Breaking: Niger Deputy Governor, 200 Others Dump PDP for APC
- Breaking News! Federal Government Reduces Pump Price of Petrol
- President Jonathan, Cronies Steal 400,000 Barrels of Oil Daily - Tinubu
- Gov. Yero Caught On Tape Threatening Attack on El-Rufai, Supporters
- Ohanaeze in Secret Talks at Aso Villa, Endorses Jonathan for 2015
- Boko haram: International Troops Coming to fight Nigeria Terrorism
- Presidential Election: Chekwas Okorie Accepts Popular Demand to Serve
- Questions for President Jonathan as he visits Cross River
- The illusion of private prosperity and greatness
- The Leader Nigeria Needs
- Education and National Development: The Jonathan Example
- The gathering storm and the Nigerian state after 2015
- President Jonathan campaigns in Maiduguri, Borno State (with pix)
- Re: Prelate Samuel Chukwuemeka Uche -A Prelate for Hire
- Boko haram, 2015 Elections: Full Text of Dasuki Speech at Chatham House, London
- Did Brookings Really Predict a Jonathan Win?
- Church and State in the New Biafra
- Buhari needs to change!
- Great Ogboru’s mother people abandon him for Okowa
- PDP Has Never Won Election in Cross River
- Questions surrounding Buhari certificate explained
- Prelate Samuel Chukwuemeka Uche: A Prelate For Hire
- Before the Election: An Open Letter to President Jonathan
- 7 reasons Buhari certificate is a fraud!
- Born-to-Rule: Buhari's Malaise or Manifestation of Greed by Politicians?
- Ebere Wabara: A Beastly Writer
- 2015 Presidential Election, Boko haram & Rev Mbaka’s Message
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- 2015: Supporters of violence will be denied US visas -Kerry
- US Kerry arrives Nigeria amid tensions over polls, Boko Haram
- ECOWAS hands over military assets to Guinea Bissau govt
- Cameroon raid frees German hostage held by Boko Haram
- 2015 Predictions: Doomsday Clock Tick to World War 3?
- Nigerias' fight against Boko Haram hampered by 'cowards' -Dasuki
- Nigeria election tensions raise specter of break-up
- Buhari Secretly Executed 40 Coup Plotters in 1984 - New York Times
- Jonathan Favored To Win February Polls -Brookings Institute
- Doctor fatally shot inside hospital; gunman kills himself
- IS executing 'educated women' in new wave of horror -UN
- Boko haram kidnaps 80 girls in Cameroon
- Cameroonians Throw Pastor, 9 Other Nigerians Overboard Boat
- France Sends Aircraft Carrier to Chase Down ISIS in Iraq
- Why Obama Boycotted France's Terror March