- By Elombah.com
Professor Chinua Achebe, the father of African Literature is dead. He is 82. Achebe, one of the best fiction writers in recent history, died in his USA base, according to reports now confirmed by elombah.com. He was born on November 16, 1930, and had been in hospital in recent days. Achebe is best known for his classical novel Things fall Apart.
His last book, 'There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra', is still making waves and has proved very controversial in his native Nigeria.
Prof Achebe was a David and Marianna Fisher University Professor and Professor of Africana Studies at Brown.
Chinua Achebe, the internationally acclaimed Nigerian writer, has died, aged 82. Best known for his first novel, Things Fall Apart, Achebe was also a poet, professor and critic.
He died last night in Boston in the United States after a period of illness, according to friends. For the past four years, he was professor of African studies at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
Things Fall Apart is thought to be the most widely read book in modern African literature. On its publication in 1958, it turned him into a literary celebrity abroad and an influential intellectual in Nigeria.
The novel has sold more than 12 million copies and been translated into 50 languages. According to Nelson Mandela, Achebe “brought Africa to the rest of the world".
Achebe won the inaugural Man Booker International prize in 2007. Ten years earlier, his novel, Anthills of the Savannah, had been shortlisted for the British Man Booker prize.
Corruption was a recurring theme in his writing. A Man of the People, Achebe’s fourth novel, satirised post-Independence Nigeria. The book, published in 1966, was also remarkably prescient. It ends with a coup attempt – a fate that befell Nigeria later that year. Achebe was forced to flee the country after the military suspected him of involvement.
He was also a supporter of Biafra’s bloody breakaway from Nigeria between 1967 and 1970, and blamed the conflict on Nigeria’s colonial past.
Western writers were not immune from his criticism either. In 1975, he gave a lecture in which he accused Joseph Conrad as a “bloody racist”.
Achebe married Christie Achebe in 1961. She was a colleague at the Nigerian Broadcasting Service, where they both worked, and they had three children.
In 1990, he was in involved in a car accident in Lagos and required the use of a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
The university profile on Chinua Achebe on its website says:
“Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe is known the world over for having played a seminal role in the founding and development of African literature. He continues to be considered among the most significant world writers. He is most well known for the groundbreaking 1958 novel Things Fall Apart, a novel still considered to be required reading the world over. It has sold over twelve million copies and has been translated into more than fifty languages.
“Achebe’s global significance lies not only in his talent and recognition as a writer, but also as a critical thinker and essayist who has written extensively on questions of the role of culture in Africa and the social and political significance of aesthetics and analysis of the postcolonial state in Africa. He is renowned, for example, for “An Image of Africa,” his trenchant and famous critique of Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Today, this critique is recognized as one of the most generative interventions on Conrad; and one that opened the social study of literary texts, particularly the impact of power relations on 20th century literary imagination.
“In addition, Achebe is distinguished in his substantial and weighty investment in the building of literary arts institutions. His work as the founding editor of the Heinemann African Writers Series led to his editing over one hundred titles in it. Achebe also edited the University of Nsukka journal Nsukkascope, founded Okike: A Nigerian Journal of New Writingand assisted in the founding of a publishing house, Nwamife Books–an organization responsible for publishing other groundbreaking work by award-winning writers. He continues his long-standing work on the development of institutional spaces where writers can be published and develop creative and intellectual community.”
- Chibok: 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die
- Nyako Was impeached because unable to pay Lawmakers N20 Billion - APC
- Where is the 200m released for Lead Poisoning Treatment in Zamfara
- Serial Killings of Muslims of Ngoshe, Chikide, Gavva, Agapalawa Villages in Borno State
- Boko Haram Takes Control of Damboa Town in Borno, Hoists Flag
- Ex Adamawa Governor, Nyako Flees Nigeria
- Security: tracking online activities for cyber terrorism, espionage, int'l crime
- Tobacco Smoking Bill: Memo Submitted by Environmental Groups
- BRICS establish $100bn bank and currency pool to cut out Western dominance
- What Happened To 5.1 Billion Naira Owerri North Council Funds?
- BREAKING NEWS: Governor Murtala Nyako Impeached!
- Impeachment: Panel indicts Nyako, absolves deputy
- Breaking News! Lawmakers Commence Impeachment against Nasarawa State Governor
- Peter Obi Refused to join PDP - Sources
- Germany Wins the World Cup, beat Argentina 1-0
- Nyesom Wike Finally Resigns As Education Minister (State)
- Oladejo Lamikanra SAN- the lawyer who lied his way to the top
- Anambra Governor Obiano Wastes Tax Payers Money on Foreign Jamboree
- FG confirms Investigating politicians of Party sponsoring Boko Haram
- APC Abandons Govs Nyako and Oshiomhole to Feel PDP Bite
- APC Youths React to Trend of Impeachment in the Country
- Group Petitions NSA, IG over Collection of Voters Card
- PDP Youth Frontier Press Release on the State of the Nation
- Oby Ezekwesili and her Rabble rousing
- Intrepidity of a Leader for Equity in Abia State
- Lagos 2015; Why Is Obanikoro Afraid of Fair Contest?
- Jonathan Lauds Oshiomhole for Attracting Investments to Edo State
- The Harassment of Oby Ezekwesili by SSS is Obnoxious
- The Face of Rauf In Osun
- President Jonathan Saddened By Demise of Rilwanu Lukman
- Omisore Is Desperate!
- The $1Billion Dollar Question Jonathan Must Answer - Bola Tinubu
- Olejeme is unstoppable –Ika Elders
- Killing the king on the slaughter bed of deadly city of Chibok
- In Defence of Oluremi Tinubu
- Re: High Tech Election Rigging How Feasible?
- Why Aregbesola Is the Best Candidate
- Mass Killing of Xtians & Burning Of Churches: Group Petitions Pope
- Who Are the “Evil People” Worrying Nigerians?
- Revealed: 12 Reasons Omisore Is Sorely Afraid Of Public Debate
- French Star, Evra Completes Juve Move
- Chisora Opts out of Tyson Fury Saturday Bout
- I am still in the National Team – Enyeama
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Nigeria striker rejected by keshi, signed for club record fee
- Manny Pacquiao Announces Fight with Algieri
- Louis van Gaal Starts Work at Manchester United
- Battle of Ogwumikes: Elder Nneka Prevails Over Chinyere in Historic Matchup
- Maradona, Blatter Disagree with Messi best-player award
- Scolari 'sacked' as Brazil manager after World Cup failure
- Germany Wins the World Cup!
- World Cup Finals Preview: Argentina vs. Germany
- Alvarez Survives Attrition War with Determined Lara
- Suarez Confirms Barcelona Move
- World Cup Third–place preview: Brazil vs Netherlands
- 200 Ghanaian Fans seek Religious Asylum in Brazil
- Rising Star Alvarez’s Risky Showdown Against Lara
- FIFA bans Nigeria from international football competitions
- Keshi Demands a N10m-month Contract
- World Cup Semi-final Match Preview: Argentina vs Netherlands
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims
- Appeal court overturns Berlusconi convictions in underage sex case
- Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine: BBC updates
- Tulisa supplied cocaine after she was offered Hollywood film role
- Cheryl Cole secretly weds French boyfriend after just 3 months of dating
- Pope Francis says 1 out of 50 Catholic clergy paedophiles
- Danish Man dies in Magaluf hotel balcony fall
- Magaluf Mamading Video Pub Crawl Organiser Won't Apologise
- Did Steven and Kimberly just have sex on Big Brother!
- Rihanna treats fan to ‘lapdance’, but he doesn’t look happy