- Written by Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- Revealed: How Uduaghan and Pinnick Wasted Millions to Host NFF
- Two Suicide Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri
- Obiano bogus 2015 budget; bribes Lawmakers with N330m
- Nyanya Bombing: Court strikes out suit against Ogwuche
- Explosion Hits PDP secretariat in Calabar
- Of Nigeria and Mathematics: Salary of Nigerian Senators
- Boko Haram slaughters 48 fish vendors in northeast Nigeria
- Chadian Presidents Associate Arrested with Missiles for Boko Haram
- Dame Patience Plots to Remove Gov Dickson
- IGP orders Tambuwal arrested?
- Police acted professionally to forestall mayhem, says Ojukwu
- BREAKING: Supreme Court sacks Taraba Ag Governor
- Update: 120 Reps Sign to Impeach President Jonathan
- Boko Haram kill about 45 people in Borno state
- Chaos at National Assembly: Tambuwal Stopped, David Mark Orders shutdown
- Nigeria dire humanitarian situation worries the UN
- Adamawa Scandal: N5.5b missing during Fintiris' 86 days in office
- BREAKING: Tambuwal withdraws from APC presidential contest
- APGA: Appeal panel approves Ukachukwu despite lying on oath
- FG Extends State Of Emergency Rule in Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
- Re: Obiano Bogus Budget; Bribes Lawmakers with N330m
- Sowore and His Sponsors - Historical Burden of Deceit
- The Leadership in Activism
- CFAO Announces the Launch of its Club of Brands
- Re: Obiano Should Call his Wife to Order – APC
- Notice of Monthly Meeting of Biafrans- 29 Nov
- Princewill's disqualification is pathetic, desperate
- EPZ Crisis: Uduaghan and Stupidity Of Clannish Men
- Address by President Jonathan at Flag–Off of Great Green Wall
- Political Corruption and Citizenship around the World
- SSA Urges Ibom Youths to Shun Crab Mentality
- PDP to APC: Enough is Enough
- The Man, Olusegun Mathew Okikiola Aremu Obasanjo
- Institutionalization of Impunity by Presidency
- Citizens Petitions ICC over Gov Shema’s Speech
- Dr Paul John: Bury Your Arrogance, Become Humble!
- Nigeria, Neighbours Must Unite to Win Terrorism - Jonathan
- 2015: Why Jonathan and PDP will lose in A'Ibom
- MUST READ: Grand Conspiracy to Torpedo Civil Rule in Nigeria
- Budget: Obiano Tables N164,496b Before HA
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Gov Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Emerging Champions
- Bandits steal suspected Ebola blood in Guinea
- Revealed, the happiest countries in the world
- Railway Group signs Chinas' largest overseas contract with Nigeria
- I envy HIV/AIDS patients in Nigeria – Maureen Aisha Edward
- Fiancé hangs himself 4 days after fiancée called off wedding
- ISIS beheads another US aid worker
- Student had sex with sheep, says stressed about exams
- Photonews: Atiku holds meetings with Obasanjo
- Pregnant beggar seen driving Mercedes and counting money
- Anniversary of Berlin Wall: A Symbolic History
- United States Dedicates New Embassy Office Annex in Abuja
- Nigeria's Oil Production picks up, at a 10 year high
- Swiss prosecutors contact oil traders in Nigeria multi-billion dollar scam
- 'Nigeria Cyber Army' hacks Indiana Department of Education website
- Man burns daughter’s rapist genitals with tongs