- Written by Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- bREAKING nEWS: Indonesia executes 4 Nigerian Drug Pushers
- Okene Radio Station Bombed by Assailants, Five Dead
- Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Has Ties to a Heroin Trafficking Ring - US Newspaper
- [UPDATE]: Ondo State Deputy Governor Impeached
- Memo to Buhari: Strategic Policy Instruments to Boost Research & Development In Nigeria, Improve National Innovation
- INEC Declares Ikpeazu, Okorocha Winners of Abia, Imo Guber Elections
- [UPDATED]: Texas-based Igbo killer doctor indicted by medical board, faces license revocation
- The Death Zone Called University Of Uyo Teaching Hospital
- Boko Haram Releases images as part of ISIS, as troops withdraw from Sambisa
- Why The Oil Cabals are after Me - Deziani Allison Madueke
- Breaking: Gunmen Kill El-Rufai's Campaign Coordinator
- President Jonathan Sacks Suleiman Abba, Appoints Arase As Acting Igp
- Peter Obi in South-Africa, Condemns Xenophobic Attacks
- Dr Angela Uwakwem, MD FMC Owerri, Looter and goddess of Corruption
- Happening Now: Group Shuts Down MTN in Benin over Xenophobic Attacks
- Tension in Unizik as Productivity Bonus Tears Staff Apart
- We will Punish PDP Looters and Acts of Lawlessness - Buhari
- Jonathan Blows hot, demands N2trn election funds refund
- APC Finally Unveils their Northern Agenda
- Obiano: The Face of Wickedness, by Joe Martins Uzodike
- Mr President-elect, time to right the old wrongs, by Paul John
- Living dangerously and looking at the bigger picture, by Akintokunbo Adejumo
- Still on xenophobic attacks in South Africa, by Olalekan Adigun
- An open letter to APC, by Joe Igbokwe
- Another approach to the South African attacks, by Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- South Africa, Get It Right: It Was Mandela Who Failed You, Not Black Immigrants
- Tinubu Is Diezani’s Confidence, by Dr. Kolawole Kayode
- On Sahara Reporters and who will guard the Guardians? By Igboeli Arinze
- 2015 Elections: PDP, APC and the Social Contract with Nigerians, by Peter Claver Oparah
- Character Assassins On The Prowl: Who Is Afraid Of Bashir Gwandu?
- APC, INEC Robbed Me of Victory - Ihedioha
- Mr. Buhari must look for outsiders or else… by Prince Charles Dickson
- Response to Subomi Plumptre: Your church-shift and a slippery slope
- Rotimi Amaechi, Festus Odimegwu, Ogbonnaya Onu, make Buhari's Transition Committee
- PDP's Ishaku Declared Winner of Taraba Polls
- World Veterinary Day 2015: Celebrating Nobility, by Marzuq Ungogo
- Chukwumerije and death in the Age of Brevity, by Chuks Iloegbunam
- Situation Room Abia State Elections Rerun
- Xenophobia - South Africa, Tribalism - Nigeria: African Dilemma of Hate
- As we prepare for a rerun in Imo State! By Paul John
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Meet the new Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Nollywood star, Desmond Elliot wins Lagos House Of Assembly Seat
- Harvest of goals as Super Falcons pound Mali 8-0
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- See the full Report of the Forensic Audit of NNPC Accounts here
- Gunmen open fire on buses carrying rap star Lil Wayne, crew
- Niger army fights Boko Haram for Lake Chad Island after attack
- Bombshell Interview: Obama’s Brother Says Barack Is ‘Cold and Ruthless…
- Buhari: I will probe NNPC missing $20 billion
- ECOWAS Launches Manual on Implementation of Regional Programmes
- ECOWAS Calls for Creativity, Innovation Driven Industrialization of W/Africa
- Nigerians say they lost 84m to South Africa Xenophobic Attack
- ECOWAS Seeks Policies For Sustainable Economic Development Of W/Africa
- Texas Based Doctor Calls for Igbo Massacre, Goes into Hiding
- ECOWAS Ministers moves to implement common industrial policy
- Boko Haram Cameroon attack toll rises to 19, 'many beheaded'
- Zimbabwean youths ordered to revenge xenophobia by attacking South Africans
- APC Used Police to Forment Electoral Violence in Akwa Ibom - Gov Akpabio
- ECOWAS Condemns Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa