- By Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- 2015: PDP and APGA Battle over support for Jonathan
- DISCOVERED: The Islamic State's Terror Laptop of Doom
- Northern Leaders Should Fight this not Jonathan
- “Don’t Grant Waiver To Ribadu, Marwa, Gundiri, Modibbo And Kama”
- EXPOSED: Details of the Ebola Virus Doctor Which the Government Hides
- Breaking News: Sheriff, Ihejirika Named Boko Haram Sponsors, Elrufai also implicated
- Details of 27 Council Funds Squandered by Governor Okorocha
- Nigerian politicians are Boko Haram’s “primary" Sponsors – Stephen Davis
- "We Ran Out Of Ammunition" - Nigeria Soldiers Who Fled Into Cameroon
- Ogun State: Gauging Amosun Welfare Package on a Scale
- Nigerian Soldiers Flee from Boko Haram to Cameroon
- Documents showing Peter Obi left N86bn for Willie Obiano
- Redeployment of AIGs: Intersociety Rejects Exclusion of Southeast Zone
- Betrayal In Anambra; Obiano Sets To Play Fast One On Obi
- My two day working visit to Akwa Ibom State - part 1
- BREAKING: Nigeria Records Two Fresh Ebola Secondary cases
- BREAKING NEWS: Boko Haram Invades Police Training College
- Labaran Maku Vows to Become Nasarawa State Governor in 2015
- El Rufai ridicules Ribadu's return to PDP
- BREAKING: Lagos Confirms Five New Ebola Cases
- Some Men Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola Must Avoid
- Plot to Destabilize Ogoni: Group Defend Wike, Accuses MOSOP
- Lagos State Government, Tax Revenues and Alpha Beta Company
- President Jonathan, Other African Leaders to Meet On More Joint Action Against Terrorism
- Cattle Rearing, Fulani Herdsmen and Divisive Politics
- Yoruba Alliance with Northerners Is a Fool’s Gold
- "Azikiwe Who Did Everything to..."; the Questionable Cause Fallacy
- An Open Letter to My Friend, Dahiru Mohammed Lawal, on Islam
- Mallam Nasir El Rufai and the Politicisation of Terrorism
- Stopping Adamawa Acting Governor: PDP Acted Too Late - Nyako
- Ikimi's Diatribe against Tinubu and the Limit of Political Buffoonery
- Please Leave APC Out of APGA, PDP Quarrel!
- Open Letter to Mr President on Why Diezani Deserves to Be Sacked
- Dissecting Ikimi’s Bikini Problem and His Hatred for Tinubu
- How President Jonathan Is Empowering Nigerian Youths
- The Australian Buffoon, El Rufai's Idiocy and Ihejirika's Outburst
- Mr. Aniekan John Umanah: Garland on a Gold
- James Foley Murder, the British and Biafran Story
- Nuhu Ribadu: The Futility of Trying to Stand Erect on a Moving, Rocking Boat
- Dora Akunyili All the Way!
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- President Jonathan Hails Falconets’ Qualification for World Cup Finals
- Jonathan hails Falonet's Qualification for under-20 female world cup final
- Fifa Rejects Barcelona FC Transfer Ban Appeal
- Suarez Unveiled at Barcelona FC; Promises Not to Bite Again
- AFCON Qualifier List: Osaze, Moses, Ideye Left Out
- Spanish Super Cup Preview: Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid
- England Kell Brook Stuns Shawn Porter, Wins Title
- Van Gaal Loses Debut Premiership Home Game at Old Trafford
- Keshi’s Passing Grade Needed In Other Sectors
- Nigeria Climbs a Step in the New FIFA Ranking
- Boxing: Fury and Chisora Get New Rematch Date
- Wayne Rooney Named New Manchester United Captain
- Ronaldo’s Brace Earns Real Super Cup Win
- Howard Webb Retires As Match Referee; Appointed Technical Director
- Leaked Nude Photos of Celebrities Released Online
- Nigeria’s poverty level drops by 2.1%
- Former Governor Sylva’s Uncle Dies in Kidnappers’ Den after N5m ransom was paid
- Ebola: 4 Indian Doctors from Nigeria Quarantined
- Boko Haram clashes with Cameroon soldiers in cross-border attacks
- Lagos massage parlours where sex is ‘after-service’ bonus - Punch
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time