- Written by Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- Buhari Announces Osibanjo as Running Mate
- The Rivers Amaechi Will not Show You! [In pictures]
- Time to feature more women in politics
- Why Uwajumogu and Okorocha are Still Keeping Activist Iwuoha in Jail
- Osibanjo Clinches Buhari's Running Mate
- 33 Reasons Why Southerners are Fools
- The Buhari PTF Days: The Untold Story
- Yakubu Gowon @ 80: Burden of Genocide
- 2015: Between Jonathan and Buhari -who is the lesser evil?
- Breaking News: Fresh Twin Explosions Rock Jos
- [Update] Buhari wins APC nomination for 2015 presidential election
- PDP Ratifies Jonathan as Candidate, Sambo as Vice-President
- Austerity: Obiano in N300M Burial Bazaar
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again
- Obasanjo in new book hammers Jonathan, Atiku, Yar'adua
- EXCLUSIVE: Eyewitness Account of Aftermath of Insurgency in Adamawa
- Revealed: why Uduaghan abadoned senatorial ambition, the Ibori, Clark connection
- Gunmen Attacks Minna Federal prison
- Boko Haram: Nigeria detains Russian cargo plane with military shipment to Chad
- N40b Bank Fraud Rocks Governor Uduaghan, Ochei
- Ibadan People Do Not Serve the Same Leader Twice?
- Debunking the Born to Rule Myth
- Why I called Okorocha Chief of Staff Thief
- Give It to Tinubu; He Knows His Onions
- Saraki Congratulates Osibanjo; Commends Tinubu
- Why the Core North Will/Must Fail: Arewa 2015 Agenda
- Buhari, the Rotimi Amaechi Fiasco
- Obasanjo Must Leave Nigeria Alone
- Dr. Alex Otti - The Change Abia State Is Yearning For In 2015
- Caliphate Colonialism -The taproot of the trouble with Nigeria
- Season of letters: Governor Okorocha as a case study
- 2015: Sai Buhari!
- Buhari and APC Under Test
- Re: A Stitch in Time Saves Nine/an Appeal for Fairplay and Justice
- Buhari: Age Does Matter
- Zakzaky vs Gummi: The confused Gumi
- Enachioken Youth Carnival 2014: Abiriba Celebrates
- Endless Detention of Odudu Ukpanah: Injustice Taken Too Far
- The culture of untouchables under Jonathan Presidency
- 2015: Forces of Change vs Forces of Status Quo
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- BOAD to provide loans involving XOF1,100b over five years
- AfrAsia Bank attracts significant shareholding from NBC
- Research reveals GCC trade with Africa on the rise
- How the US provides inspiration for terrorists groups like ISIS
- Orange and USAID join forces to boost mHealth innovations across Africa
- ECOWAS council session holds against the backdrop of progress
- $35m grant from King Abdallah fight Ebola in WA
- Powering Africa to advance Africa power industries
- AFRICA: Optimism and opportunity abounds
- Beckam and Son in Car Accident
- George Weah: The missing link in Liberian senate
- First Francophonie Economic Forum
- Tanzania refute claims to evict Maasai from Ngorongoro
- West Africa King of Impunity!
- Bandits steal suspected Ebola blood in Guinea