- Written by Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- Elections: Catholic Church Foresees Trouble, Violence
- Untold Stories: Between Jonathan, Shettima, Defence Hqts & Boko haram
- Buhari says will not take part in presidential debates
- 2015 Election: Attahiru Jega’s Pact with the APC
- EXPOSED: Details of Corruption by Two Major Sponsors of Buhari
- Boko haram rampaging in northeast Nigeria with no troops to defend people
- Army were warned of Boko Haram attacks on Baga and Monguno
- Okonjo-Iweala: Response to Soludo's 'Buhari Vs Jonathan: Beyond the Election'
- 2015 Elections & INEC Shoddy Preparations: Chaos, Anarchy & Bloodletting Looming (1)
- Army Bombards Boko Haram to Retake Strategic Barracks
- Exposed: How Obama blocked Israeli sale of attack helicopters to Nigeria
- 2015: INEC has already rigged presidential poll for the North
- Obiano Is Enchanting Road of Infamy -Anambra Group
- Attacks on Jonathan: This Nonsense Must Stop - Warns the presidency
- Attention Pius Anyim: Before INEC Sets Nigeria on Fire
- Exclusive: How Aso Rock official swindled Chinese firm in a multi-billion naira fraud
- Breaking News! Nigeria national security adviser urges INEC to postpone elections
- Chibok Girls Kidnap: The Untold Story
- Photos: fleeing Boko Haram's war on Nigeria
- Exclusive: See Buhari's Academic Records
- It Is in Buhari’s Interest to Debate Jonathan
- Nigeria must not be killed in February 2015
- 2015: The Market is Over in Nigeria
- Nyerere plans to make Abia State the economic power base of Igboland
- Neither Jonathan nor Buhari is messiah, but one is lesser evil
- Fayose’s Advert: Offensive or Hate Speech?
- The mobilisation of the Nigerian youths and TAN
- Corruption in Nigeria, who is fooling who?
- A Vote for Buhari is Vote for Obasanjo, Babangida and Military cabal That killed Nigeria
- “Soludo, the solution!”
- Ill-omened rumbles from Niger Delta militants
- No! Mr President, no ten million thieves in Nigeria
- Weep not for Odudu Ukpanah (A dirge)
- Goodluck Jonathan, a history of academic excellence
- Alex Otti, a pathological liar -Abia Governor's aide
- On the Famous Video: 'The Real Buhari'
- That Farcical Peace Accord
- Interview with Hon Osita Igbe, Director of Media, Abia PDP campaign 2015
- Piece of Peace: Against Provocative Campaigns, Threats and Violence (2)
- 2015 IGBO votes: Ijaws will never support an Igbo presidency
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Nigeria buys Assorted Czech weapons to fight Boko Haram
- UN, ECOWAS, AU, REC meet to Deepen Cooperation
- Guaranteeing Nigeria's Invincibility
- British Parliament sound alarm over UK public money links with Ibori
- Russian Town Frozen into Ice Block
- Russian President Putin is 'a common criminal dressed up as a Head of State'
- Certificate Scandal: WAEC Says It Has No Records On Buhari [See Letter]
- Sharia police arrest 12 gays planning to wed in Kano
- Boko Haram rampage propelling Buhari campaign -NY Times
- 2015: Supporters of violence will be denied US visas -Kerry
- US Kerry arrives Nigeria amid tensions over polls, Boko Haram
- ECOWAS hands over military assets to Guinea Bissau govt
- Cameroon raid frees German hostage held by Boko Haram
- 2015 Predictions: Doomsday Clock Tick to World War 3?
- Nigerias' fight against Boko Haram hampered by 'cowards' -Dasuki