- Written by Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- Breaking: Bomb blast in Gombe Bus Station
- Boko haram Terrorists Overrun, Mount Flag in Military Chief’s home town
- Ebola Scare at MMA, Lagos, as Patient Arrives
- Pastor flees as SON raids his 3 factories in Onitsha for fake Items
- Bizarre! Nigerian Diplomat in Austria Fights on the Streets of Vienna
- Revealed: The 44 People that Paid for Jonathan's Nomination Form
- The Great Cover Up: Secret Service Agent Murdered in Nigerian Embassy
- EXCLUSIVE: Unsolved Murder in Nigerian Embassy in Czech Republic
- Inside Boko Haram: Abducted girls raped, abused, forced to marry
- 17 killed in suspected Boko Haram attack, 30 Adolescents Abducted
- Jonathan Vs Buhari the True Opinion Pool and Sheik Gumi's Warning - 2
- Nigeria Police confirms kidnap of oil minister's sister
- Nigeria, a nation divided - The Economist
- 'Everybody knows' where Boko Haram are - video
- Peter Obi Left no Money – Governor Willie Obiano
- APC Is Stopping The Chibok Girls Rescue - Negotiator
- Boko haram, FG Negotiating team fails to met
- Ministry Staffs Accuse Maku of Embezzlement, Disrupt Handover
- Ojukwu's wife, Bianca Speaks on Obi, umeh, Ikemba and APGA
- The EFCC petition on N6.3billion Fidelity Bank Fraud
- AKS 2015 And Bassey Albert’s Show of Humility And Courage
- The Faceless ‘Save Abia’ and their Murky Plots
- Why President Jonathan Cannot Continue In 2015
- Transformation Agenda: I Travelled Kano – Zaria by Rail
- Africa Needs Innovation and Engagement with Its Population
- Why They Failed Poor You and How You Can Get Back at Them
- Transformation Agenda or Not: Jonathan’s Promise on Power (1)
- Tunde Kelani to Premiere His Movie 'Dazzling Mirage'
- Tambuwal should Resign as Speaker or be Impeached
- 200 Days In “Captivity”: Open Letter To Chibok Girls
- Insurgency & Phantom Ceasefire: Federal Government Has Failed Again
- This is Victor Umeh
- Mr President, Show Better Understanding of Democracy! - APC
- CSNAC condemns the withdrawal of Hon Tambuwal's security aides
- SE Development Fund Board to Be Inaugurated on October 31
- "Beyond the Gate": Unilag students Enlightened at Youth Program
- Making Of Anambra Social Contract & Detoxifying Its Polity - Last Part
- Letter of Appreciation to Audu Ogbeh of Bringbackourgirls
- The many sins of Gov Willie Obiano and the shadows haunting him
- The Challenges Facing Nigerian Unemployed Youths
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Gov Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Emerging Champions
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria from International Football Monday
- NFF Crises: Nigeria May Face FIFA Hammer
- Governor Orji Congratulates Super Falcons for Thrashing Cameroun 2-0
- Williams Beat Simona Halep to Win 5th WTA Finals Title
- Revelations from El Clasico, as Real Madrid beat Barcelona
- WTA: Simona Halep Humbles Serena at WTA Finals
- Chelsea Chief Executive, Ron Gourlay Quits club
- New Uyo Stadium to Be Opened With Super Eagles Friendly
- Footballer Dies From Spinal Injuries After Performing Somersault
- Football: Luiz Suarez Returns for El Clasico
- Sports: Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali Critically Ill
- Breaking News! Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore resigns amidst unrest
- New BlackBerry Passport lands in Nigeria
- Military Coup in Burkina Faso after Angry Citizens set Parliament on fire
- I salute the people of Burkina Faso
- Nigerian drug smuggler found with N100m cocaine at Edinburgh Airport
- Confirmed: Oscar Pistorius prosecutors to appeal manslaughter verdict and 5-year prison term
- Beware of Facebook friends: Man chokes woman he met online because she didn't match her profile
- Gunmen kill German citizen, kidnap another in southwest Nigeria
- The Heartbreaking Final Letter Of Hanged Iranian Woman To Her Mother
- Obama Hugs Nurse to Fight Ebola Stigma
- Boko Haram Kidnap 25 More Girls In Nigeria
- Gunman enters Canadian parliament, many shots fired
- Christian Mother Sentenced To Death For 'Insulting Prophet'
- Couple stuck together and hospitalised after sex in the sea
- Ebola: passenger flying from Nigeria to New York dies in his seat