- Written by Elombah.com
Hundreds of Muslims in the city of Kano took to the streets today protesting against the movie they claim denigrated Muhammed posted on Youtube. Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, a pro-Iranian Shia Muslim group, organised the event, which passed off peacefully.
Protests over the amateur video, Innocence of Muslims, have been continuing in countries with significant Muslim populations for nearly two weeks.
"We are out today to express our rage and disapproval over this blasphemous film," Kano protest leader Muhammed Turi told AFP news agency.
"This protest is also aimed at calling on the US government to put a halt to further blasphemy against Islam."
The controversial video was made privately in the US.
Its anti-Islam message has been publicly condemned by US President Barack Obama.
Led by Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria has seen its membership mushroom in recent years.
It is less well-known than the Sunni Muslim group Boko Haram, which is fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The country has been plagued by religious violence between Muslims and Christians for years.
- How Obiano Bought PDP Candidates with N250m to Discontinue Court Cases against APGA
- Shame: Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer crippled by fuel shortages
- Happening Now: Farewell Service for Chukwumerije at Abuja Airport [Photos]
- Tony Anenih Resigns as PDP BoT Chairman
- Breaking News! Muazu Resigns as PDP Chairman with immediate effect!
- [Correction] Unizik Vice Chancellor Suspends SUG President after he alleged corruption
- Jonathan incurs N5tn domestic debt in 5 years, Governors incurred $5.85b
- Boko Haram Militants Raped Hundreds of Female Captives in Nigeria
- How the Seventh National Assembly Failed Nigerians [Part 2]
- Out-going governors created the NGF crisis - Dickson
- Disastrous Performance of the 7th National Assembly of Nigeria- Part One
- Nigeria is too poor for our leaders to act like multi-billionaires
- Why the ongoing immigration recruitment must be cancelled, by Muhammadu Buhari
- [Update] Nigerian Federal Secretariat Engulfed in Fire
- Lamido Sanusi: Unanswered questions on Nigeria’s missing $20bn
- Ndigbo and Nicodemus visits to Buhari
- Arase Confirmed as IG Police, Suleiman sacked due to indisciline
- Understanding the Structure and Philosophy of the New Biafra Struggle for Independence
- Nigeria Dirtiest Health Fraud: FMC, Owerri Medical Director in Unlimited Looting Spree
- Expose: 85% of Imo State Govt are homosexuals, belong to Ogboni, I will publish their names
- The legalities of AGF's directive on Wike's swearing-in, by Aloy Ejimakor
- The Concept of Zoning is a Bye Product of Onye gburu Achara…by Ben Aduba
- Joe Igbokwe: Another APC propagandist dancing Amaechi’s desperate tune
- 11 Reasons Why Nyesom Wike Should Not Be Sworn In As Governor On May 29
- How to Stop Dogs Being Rough with Children, by Jerry Akinluyi
- Igbos, Stop Entertaining Fear! By Kabiru Tsakuwa
- FMC, Owerri: In defense of Angela Uwakwem, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- Rochas Okorocha: How Architect Franklin Okoli Was Brutally Murdered [pt. 3]
- APGA state chairmanship: Why Chinedu Nkwonta deserves a chance, by H. Madubueze
- Okonjo-Iweala: a hero or villain? By Uwa Eghomeka
- The peoples’ General mounts the saddle, by Okoi Obono-Obla
- Still on Fayose’s stomach infrastructure, by Olalekan Adigun
- Why Okonjo Iweala is Different from Alison-Madueke, by Ebun Asagbe
- House Report and Buhari’s First Major Call, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- Buruji, Justice and democracy: Buhari show your capacity, by Segun Odujinrin
- The Igbo furor over nothing, by Tochukwu Ezukanma
- Where Nigeria’s Power Roadmap Missed Road, by SKC Ogbonnia
- The end of the Goodluck Jonathan Nightmare, by Alexander Ezike
- What You Should Know About Dog Food Allergies, by Akinluyi Jerry
- The beautiful brides of Imo’s sixth assembly, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals: Cavaliers Stun Hawks 97-89
- Photo: See where volunteers that trekked for GEJ slept in Bayelsa
- NBA Western Conference Finals Game One: Warriors 110,Rockets 106
- Oshiomhole’s new wife performs first role as First Lady
- Photonews: Buhari, Dignitaries present as Oshiomhole Wed his Heartthrob
- NBA Playoffs: Warriors, Hawks, Cavaliers Alive; Houston in Trouble
- Bayern Beats Barcelona 3-2
- Zik’s first son, Chukwuma Azikiwe dies at 75
- Alvarez Whacks Game James Kirkland in Round Three
- UK doctor from Nigeria and wife illegally enslaved man for 24 years
- Mayweather Frustrates Pacquiao in Victory Number 48
- Mayweather beats Pacquiao in the 'fight of the century'
- Rio Ferdinand’s wife, Rebecca dies of cancer
- Nollywood actor Peter Bunor dies
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: PacMan Not Underdog in Grudge Match
- Klitschko Defeats Bryant Jennings by Unanimous Decision
- Senegal Drops Nigeria from FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup ticket
- NBA playoffs Preview: Title up for Grabs
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Highlights of the 47th Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Govt
- West African leaders shelve third-term ban proposal
- Obama Sends Kerry to lead US delegation at Buhari’s inauguration
- Nigeria 2015: Beyond the Ballot
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives
- ECOWAS Accra Summit to Review Regional Political, Security Situation
- ECOWAS Council of Ministers Ends 74th Ordinary Session in Accra
- Chuka Umunna Withdraws from Labour Leadership Bid
- Burundi coup bid: Some coup leaders arrested
- Asia tops biggest global school rankings
- BREAKING: Burundi General Declares Coup against President Nkurunziza
- Nigerian Senators, Reps cornered N600bn in 4 years but passed only 106 bills
- US State Department Hosts Conference Call with Stakeholders on Nigerian Elections
- U.S. drone kills Yemeni al Qaeda Chief linked to Paris killings
- Bizarre: 3 women rape man at gunpoint to collect his semen