- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- In rebuke to Buhari, Obama meets Elumelu in Kenya
- Judiciary Is a Major Obstacle to Fight against Corruption - Chekwas Okorie
- President Buhari plans to split NNPC into two entities
- How President Obama disappointed Africa
- US Govt has ‘aided and abetted’ Boko Haram, says Buhari
- BREAKING: More than 40 feared dead after bomb blasts in Gombe bus terminus
- 100,000 Nigerians flee to Cameroon, Niger, as Boko Haram attack border towns - UNHCR
- Buhari asks Obama to help recover $150 Billion Nigeria Loot
- Secret Police Operations in Nigeria: The Rule of Law Is In Danger
- President Buhari will probe Jonathan's govt - Presidency Spokesman
- The Return of Presidential Dictatorship in Nigeria
- President Muhammadu Buhari, a sole administrator on the loose
- Twin explosions kill 50 Eid shoppers in Gombe market
- Nigeria sinks continuously in butchery under Buhari’s Presidency, over 1000 murdered
- Who says that President Buhari does not recognize SE as a zone?
- Buhari’s Sectional Appointments & Policies: Threat to Constitutional Principles
- [Update] President Buhari Fires Service Chiefs, Appoints New Ones
- Buharimeter Monthly Fact Sheet: Buhari’s June 2015, a Failure
- Horror! Boko Haram releases first beheading video since pledging allegiance to ISIS
- Timeline of Deadly Boko Haram Terrorist Attacks, 556 dead in 38 days
- Femi Adesina: Everything a media aide should not be (Part 1)
- Ooni of Ife's Journalistic Legacy
- Crude Oil Theft: So Nigeria Loses 1.25 Million Barrels Every Day
- Igbos: Are they Lost black Jewish Tribe?
- Okorocha's symbolic handshake with Obama - by Joseph Chimezie
- What is Gov Ikpeazu doing about Roads in Abia? - By Odimegwu Onwumere
- Mungo Park and the Brass oil/gas free zone in Bayelsa – by Mozimo Beke
- El Rufai and the hypocrisy called #BringBackOurGirls – By Moh’d Seidu
- Senator Bukola Saraki: At a time like this! - By Olalekan Adigun
- PDP Lagos: Actions Carry Consequences - by Joe Igbokwe
- 2015 World Hepatitis Day: Preventing viral hepatitis - by Paul John
- Buhari’s Presidential Sallah Gift: Copy of the 1999 Constitution [Pt. 1]
- FG reawakening the Biafran spirit in Igbo nation - by Chukwudi Ohiri
- The 5% reason why Ekweremadu is being persecuted - by FCC Jones
- Role of sports in national developments - by Ayo Akinola
- Nigeria’s top 11 law villains of the month: June/July - by Sam Eleanya
- Abia govt and Alex Otti assassination attempt - by Nnanna Ijomah
- Letter to Bauchi State Governor - by Mukhtar Jarmajo
- Same sex marriage: Before we perish as ‘Salvation Armies’ - by Hardy Nwadike
- Why Senate president and deputy must resign - by Okoi Obono-Obla
- Nigeria Unveils Sunday Oliseh as Super Eagles Coach
- Breaking News: Oliseh arrives Nigeria for un-veiling as new Super Eagles Coach
- Is Serena Williams the greatest women's tennis player of all time?
- Photonews: Speaker in Asaba to commission a private Altar
- Stephen Keshi’s Sack by NFF Is "Unsubstantial", says his Agent
- Nigeria: Your next plate of rice may cost more
- Mentioning Messi's name saved my life - Argentine kidnapped in Nigeria
- Amazing: 3 different Nigerians hold 100m sprint records for Africa, Asia and Europe
- Photonews: Buhari visits his cattle in Daura Saturday, 20 June 2015
- Kano Slash Salary and Allowance of Political Office Holders by 50 %
- Swedish Women National Team Coach Turns Down Falcons’ Offer
- Enyeama faces the hammer after castigating Kaduna Venue
- Warriors Are Champs; Win Second NBA Title in 40 Years
- U-20:Mali Drops Germany, Qualifies for Semis; Senegal also through
- NBA Finals: Warriors One Win From Title, Beat Cavaliers 104-91
- Light Dims on Super Falcons as they lose 0-2 to Australia
- Super Eagles beat Chad 2-0, start AFCON qualifying with victory
- Flying Eagles Crash Out of FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Women World Cup: Cameroon opens in 6-0 style at Ecuador’s expense
- FIFA U-20: Mali Drops Ghana 3-0; Qualifies for Q/Final
- Barack Obama Becomes First U.S. President to Address the African Union
- Libya court sentences Gadhafi son to death for 2011 killings
- Whitney Houston's Daughter Dead at 22 after Nearly 7-Month Coma
- President Obama Reunites with Family in Kenya over Dinner
- European Regulators Approve of Malaria vaccine
- ECOWAS to review regional ICT strategy
- Stakeholders undertake to support implementation of the Kampala Convention
- ECOWAS pays tribute to Liberia’s Dr. Amos Sawyer
- Buhari to Obama: No to gay marriage - Presidency
- Boko haram: Two suicide attacks kill 20 in Cameroon
- Photonews: Obama welcomes Buhari at the White House
- South African Preacher Docked after Feeding Congregation Live Snakes
- Buhari to prosecute Obasanjo; reopens $182m Haliburton bribery case
- 16 Niger villagers killed in Boko Haram attack
- At least 19 Boko Haram insurgents killed in Chad