- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- Breaking! Buhari sworn in as Nigeria’s president
- Nigeria: Presidential Inauguration Highlights and Pictures
- BREAKING: Akinwunmi Adesina Emerges African Development Bank Boss
- Editorial: Ask your governor, where is the money?
- Probe Me, Jonathan Challenges Buhari
- DPR/Diezani Madueke: Deceiving Buhari On Renewed Modular Refineries’ Licensing
- US Govt -v- Buruji Kashamu: Full Transcript of UK Judgement
- Ifeanyi Ubah Forces Down Fuel Price, Crisis Averted
- BREAKING: Trouble Looms as Airline Operators Plan Protest, Strike over Fuel Scarcity
- How Buhari was disgraced at Downing Street
- UPDATE: NDLEA in Masks, Storm Kashamu’s Residence for Extradition
- How Obiano Bought PDP Candidates with N250m to Discontinue Court Cases against APGA
- Shame: Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer crippled by fuel shortages
- Happening Now: Farewell Service for Chukwumerije at Abuja Airport [Photos]
- Tony Anenih Resigns as PDP BoT Chairman
- Breaking News! Muazu Resigns as PDP Chairman with immediate effect!
- [Correction] Unizik Vice Chancellor Suspends SUG President after he alleged corruption
- Jonathan incurs N5tn domestic debt in 5 years, Governors incurred $5.85b
- Boko Haram Militants Raped Hundreds of Female Captives in Nigeria
- How the Seventh National Assembly Failed Nigerians [Part 2]
- As Buhari takes over… by Law Mefor
- Full Text Of The Inaugural Speech Of President Muhammadu Buhari
- A new Nigeria is possible beginning today - Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- The Deal Is Done; Buhari Is President, by Elvis Ezeani
- Jonathan at Inauguration Dinner; Dissolves Cabinet
- Nigerian Public Service: Labour Challenges Facing APC Governments, by Salihu Lukman
- The rise and rise of Owelle Rochas Okorocha, by Joe Onwukeme
- President Buhari: Dead end or the rebirth of a nation? By Chido Onumah
- The need to put the record straight on Anambra roads, by Mazi Odera
- Gov T. A. Orji: Ebere Wabara shames self, by Madubuko Hart
- Congratulations, Nigerians, it’s a New Dawn!
- I weep from the depths of heart for President Buhari, by Benjamin Aduba
- Nigeria: Buhari is no Babalawo, by Martin-hassan Eze
- Gov-elect accuses Kwankwaso of looting Kano treasury
- Letter to President Goodluck Jonathan, by Olalekan Adigun
- Speech by President Jonathan On Presentation Of Hand Over Notes To President-Elect, Muhammadu Buhari
- Those standing trial for corruption should be granted conditional amnesty, by Jideofor Adibe
- Cross River: How the 2015 elections were not rigged, by Prince Niyi Sijuade
- Thank You, President Jonathan, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- A Word for Muhammadu Buhari, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- FIFA dares America, EU, elects Sepp Blatter to a 5th term
- Photos: President Jonathan hands over National Conference Report to President-elect Muhammadu Buhari
- Photo: President Jonathan & President-elect Buhari on a tour of the State House
- Photos: Presentation of Hand over notes to President-elect Muhammadu Buhari at State House
- Photonews: Jonathan's valedictory session of the Executive Council
- 7 FIFA executives arrested over £65m bribe in award of Russia and Qatar World Cups
- NBA Eastern Conference Finals: Cavaliers Stun Hawks 97-89
- Photo: See where volunteers that trekked for GEJ slept in Bayelsa
- NBA Western Conference Finals Game One: Warriors 110,Rockets 106
- Oshiomhole’s new wife performs first role as First Lady
- Photonews: Buhari, Dignitaries present as Oshiomhole Wed his Heartthrob
- NBA Playoffs: Warriors, Hawks, Cavaliers Alive; Houston in Trouble
- Bayern Beats Barcelona 3-2
- Zik’s first son, Chukwuma Azikiwe dies at 75
- Alvarez Whacks Game James Kirkland in Round Three
- UK doctor from Nigeria and wife illegally enslaved man for 24 years
- Mayweather Frustrates Pacquiao in Victory Number 48
- Mayweather beats Pacquiao in the 'fight of the century'
- Rio Ferdinand’s wife, Rebecca dies of cancer
- Nollywood actor Peter Bunor dies
- Chad Repels Boko Haram Attack, Kills 33 Militants, Loses 3 Soldiers
- Planes leaving JFK airport hit by lasers while flying over Long Island
- ECOWAS to Adopt Single Biometric Identity Card
- Nigeria Celebrates ECOWAS at Forty
- Video Evidence Show Foreign Mercenaries among Boko Haram Fighters
- India heatwave kills 800, as capital's roads melt
- 4 great enemies Buhari must terminate after being sworn on May 29
- Burundi opposition figure Zedi Feruzi shot dead
- German woman Annegret Raunig gives birth to qaudruplets at age 65
- Buhari Meets UK Prime Minister at Downing Street
- Highlights of the 47th Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Govt
- West African leaders shelve third-term ban proposal
- Obama Sends Kerry to lead US delegation at Buhari’s inauguration
- Nigeria 2015: Beyond the Ballot
- Man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years sues detectives