- By Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- BREAKING NEWS: Fresh Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again!
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Hits Kaduna, 25 Dead
- Chibok: 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die
- Nyako Was impeached because unable to pay Lawmakers N20 Billion - APC
- Where is the 200m released for Lead Poisoning Treatment in Zamfara
- Serial Killings of Muslims of Ngoshe, Chikide, Gavva, Agapalawa Villages in Borno State
- Boko Haram Takes Control of Damboa Town in Borno, Hoists Flag
- Ex Adamawa Governor, Nyako Flees Nigeria
- Security: tracking online activities for cyber terrorism, espionage, int'l crime
- Tobacco Smoking Bill: Memo Submitted by Environmental Groups
- BRICS establish $100bn bank and currency pool to cut out Western dominance
- What Happened To 5.1 Billion Naira Owerri North Council Funds?
- BREAKING NEWS: Governor Murtala Nyako Impeached!
- Impeachment: Panel indicts Nyako, absolves deputy
- Breaking News! Lawmakers Commence Impeachment against Nasarawa State Governor
- Peter Obi Refused to join PDP - Sources
- Germany Wins the World Cup, beat Argentina 1-0
- Nyesom Wike Finally Resigns As Education Minister (State)
- Oladejo Lamikanra SAN- the lawyer who lied his way to the top
- Anambra Governor Obiano Wastes Tax Payers Money on Foreign Jamboree
- Meet Collins Archie-Pearce - Sierra Leonean Film Producer & Actor
- Osinulo’s Comprehensive Charity in Abia State
- APC Attacks on Ex- Governor Gbenga Daniel: Vengeful Antics
- Omisore, You Must Come Forward For This Debate
- As The World Watches…
- President Jonathan Calls for Stronger, Beneficial Partnerships between OPEC Nations
- CAN Condemns Kaduna Twin Explosions and Kano
- Time to Unite in Battle against Terrorism in Nigeria - Tukur
- Creating Traders’ Awareness of Benin and the Sub-Regional Ecobiz
- Investigate Attempt on Buhari's Life
- Amaechi’s LG Tour a Political Masterstroke —APC
- Prosperity Gospel and Africa vs Innovation and Hi-Tech Revolution
- The Inanity of “No Vacancy” of Political Positions
- When the Truth Does Not Save but Destroys; Amaechi's Burden of Truth
- Emmanuel Enoidem: Celebrating a Colossus At 50
- The Afuze Confab of Witches and Wizards: A Welcomed Development
- Nigeria Heading Towards Dictatorship
- The attack on General Buhari is ominous
- Amosunomics: Looking Beyond Roads and Flyovers
- Uwajumogu, Okorocha and Ihitte Uboma Council Funds
- Embattled NFF President Aminu Maigari Sacked Over Financial Misappropriation
- French Star, Evra Completes Juve Move
- Chisora Opts out of Tyson Fury Saturday Bout
- I am still in the National Team – Enyeama
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Nigeria striker rejected by keshi, signed for club record fee
- Manny Pacquiao Announces Fight with Algieri
- Louis van Gaal Starts Work at Manchester United
- Battle of Ogwumikes: Elder Nneka Prevails Over Chinyere in Historic Matchup
- Maradona, Blatter Disagree with Messi best-player award
- Scolari 'sacked' as Brazil manager after World Cup failure
- Germany Wins the World Cup!
- World Cup Finals Preview: Argentina vs. Germany
- Alvarez Survives Attrition War with Determined Lara
- Suarez Confirms Barcelona Move
- World Cup Third–place preview: Brazil vs Netherlands
- 200 Ghanaian Fans seek Religious Asylum in Brazil
- Rising Star Alvarez’s Risky Showdown Against Lara
- FIFA bans Nigeria from international football competitions
- Keshi Demands a N10m-month Contract
- Nigeria’s 419 Scammers Trade Up to Info-Stealing Trojan Attacks
- Nigeria Attractive to Investors Despite Challenges, Says Aganga
- Pro-Russian rebels plan to sabotage investigation into Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash
- Kim Kardashian sex tape star Ray J charged with 10 crimes
- Tulisa Drug Trial Collapse: 'Fake Sheikh' Suspended
- Facebook banned these Women's Rowing Team's Naked Calendar
- US Court awards $23 billion punitive damages against major cigarette company
- Bolt, Farah, Wiggins and Fraser for Glasgow Commonwealth
- Bizarre: Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old woman for second time
- Disgusting! Looters Stole Cash, Credit Cards, and Jewelry from Flight MH17 Crash Victims
- Appeal court overturns Berlusconi convictions in underage sex case
- Malaysian plane crashes in Ukraine: BBC updates
- Tulisa supplied cocaine after she was offered Hollywood film role
- Cheryl Cole secretly weds French boyfriend after just 3 months of dating
- Pope Francis says 1 out of 50 Catholic clergy paedophiles