- By Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- Alarm as US fail to import a single barrel of Nigerian crude oil in July
- Boko Haram’s ‘ICT expert’ arrested - Vanguard
- President Jonathan Honours Taxi Driver, Traffic Warden, National Flag's Designer, Others
- Pres Jonathan is Planning Release of Chibok girls for Political Gains
- How top Nigerians fund Boko Haram - Stephen Davis
- Gov. Chime anoints Ifeanyi Ugwanyi as next Enugu governor
- VIDEO: Boko haram massacred by Nigerian army [viewers discretion]
- Fayose Reacts to the Violence against Ekiti Judge
- Breaking: Lagos Speaker Discharged of N600m Money Laundering Charges
- Gov. Okorocha Extends Free Education to Non-Indigenes in IMSU
- Collapsed Synagogue Building Is Illegal; South Africans to Sue Joshua
- Pandemonium in Ekiti High Court as Fayose Ordered Judge's Beating
- We've Killed Shekau, and waits for the next Shekau to emerge - DHQ
- Reps in $20,000 bribery scandal over $9.3m arms deal
- DSS, Niger State Govt and Fejiro Oliver: Our Stand
- Inside Gov Babangida Aliyu's Corrupt Empire: the article that got Journalist in trouble
- Boko haram in disarray as more terrorists surrender
- Inside TB Joshua’s broken temple
- Governor Amosun, You Lied!
- Sex Scandal Roils U.S.A Deeper Life Church
- TAN: A Helping Hand to PDP?
- 54th Anniversary: DGG Tasks Nigerians on Good Citizenship
- CSO Charges Jonathan on Good Governance, Anti-Corruption
- Gov Akpabio Extols Democracy; Hails Jonathan’s Administration
- At 54: Nigeria Remains a Failed State - Intersociety
- PRO NANS Preaches Peace and Unity on Independence Day
- 2015 Guber Build-up: Political Saunter in Bauchi State
- Economic Blueprint for Attracting Business & Commerce in Igbo land
- Between Biafran War and Scottish Referendum: War as Wrong Means
- See Google's Funny Advert on Nigeria's Independence Day
- Nigeria At 54: The Shame Of A Nation And Why We Should Not Celebrate By Inibehe Effiong
- Pursue peace with all men and holiness without which no man will see God - Tinubu
- Nigeria @ 54, Gov Orji Preaches Peace, Unity
- Nigeria at 54: The Change We Need
- Nigeria: The Time for Believable Change Is Now!
- Why Are Most African Presidents 70 and Above?
- A Thriving Culture of Corruption - ThisDay
- Text of Independence Day Broadcast by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
- CSNAC Demands EFCC Investigation of Oritsejafor's Private Jet Donor
- Nigeria@54: We Must End Mediocrity, Impunity and Corruption
- Breaking News: Amaju Pinnick Emerges NFF President
- Arsenal annual financial figures shows £4.7million profit in 2013/14
- Mayweather Defeats Maidana By Unanimous Decision Again
- Mayweather Must Counter Maidana’s Thuggery to Prevail
- Sexual harassment does not exist in Nollywood - Adokiye Kyrian
- Nigeria Super Eagles to Face South Africa in a Qualifier Crucial Game
- Keshi Bows to Pressure, Invites Uche for Bafana Bafana
- Anambra Sets Up Onyeanwuna Burial Committee
- Nigeria suffers 2-3 home defeat in Cup of Nations qualifier
- Money, Tradition, Legacy Fueling Mayweather-Pacquiao Mega-Fight?
- Anambra Plans State burial for Football Legend, Onyeanwuna
- NFF Elections: Battle for the Soul of the Nigerian Football Rages
- AFCON: Super Eagles Players Hit Camp for Congo, South Africa Matches
- Transfer Deadline: Done Deals for 2014\2015 Season
- Chinyere Ogwumike Joins Sister in Historic Rookie of Year Award
- Oluchi Orlandi Is Host of the First Edition of ‘Le Petite Marche Africa’
- Sanchez Scores as Arsenal Qualify for Champions League
- Christopher Giwa Emerges New President of Nigeria Football Federation
- AFCON 2017: Libya Relinquishes Hosting Rights
- Super Eagles Job: I Have Moved On – Stephen Keshi
- For the first time: US records zero import of Nigerian crude oil in July
- A third of people believe they married the wrong person (shocking facts about marriage and adultery in UK)
- Naked celebrity photos: Emma Watson next celeb targeted by hackers
- Woman acquires 3rd breast for $20,000 to make herself LESS attractive to men
- Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after iCloud Hacking Scandal
- Porn or Pop? Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea’s raunchy Booty video
- EFCC Arrests Two Suspects for $7.9m Scam
- Bank IT worker declared wanted for $40m cyber-theft
- 67 S. Africans killed in Synagogue church collapse
- Nigerian caught in private jet smuggling $9.3m cash to SA
- Nigeria warplane used in fighting boko haram missing
- Oscar Pistorius found Guilty of Girlfriends' Manslaughter
- Oscar Pristorius found Negligent, but not Guilty of Murder
- BREAKING: Pistorius cleared of premeditated murder
- Nigeria says 'no evidence' US air marshal attacked in Lagos