- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- Exposed: How they looted Imo State Oil Producing Area development Commission
- Boko Haram Kills 33, Abducts 200 women and children in Borno
- Umeh, Obiano overrules Ojukwus' wife at APGA Convention
- Obiano Awards all Roads in His Hometown, Sacks Accountant General
- Buhari Announces Osibanjo as Running Mate
- The Rivers Amaechi Will not Show You! [In pictures]
- Time to feature more women in politics
- Why Uwajumogu and Okorocha are Still Keeping Activist Iwuoha in Jail
- Osibanjo Clinches Buhari's Running Mate
- 33 Reasons Why Southerners are Fools
- The Buhari PTF Days: The Untold Story
- Yakubu Gowon @ 80: Burden of Genocide
- 2015: Between Jonathan and Buhari -who is the lesser evil?
- Breaking News: Fresh Twin Explosions Rock Jos
- [Update] Buhari wins APC nomination for 2015 presidential election
- PDP Ratifies Jonathan as Candidate, Sambo as Vice-President
- Austerity: Obiano in N300M Burial Bazaar
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Hits Kano Again
- Obasanjo in new book hammers Jonathan, Atiku, Yar'adua
- EXCLUSIVE: Eyewitness Account of Aftermath of Insurgency in Adamawa
- Jonathans' 2nd Niger Bridge, 419 on the Igbo Nation
- My Synagogue Story
- Oduduwaland: Neither Buhari nor Jonathan stand for our liberation
- The Gov Fashola -Chekwas Okorie Interface
- Muhammadu Buharis Last Card
- Worshipping The False Messiahs Of Nigeria
- This is General Muhammad Buhari (Rtd)
- Victor Umeh Plots for Third Term
- Ibadan People Do Not Serve the Same Leader Twice?
- Debunking the Born to Rule Myth
- Governor Okorochas' Chief of Staff is a common thief
- Give It to Tinubu; He Knows His Onions
- Saraki Congratulates Osibanjo; Commends Tinubu
- Why the Core North Will/Must Fail: Arewa 2015 Agenda
- Buhari, the Rotimi Amaechi Fiasco
- Obasanjo Must Leave Nigeria Alone
- Dr. Alex Otti - The Change Abia State Is Yearning For In 2015
- Caliphate Colonialism -The taproot of the trouble with Nigeria
- Season of letters: Governor Okorocha as a case study
- 2015: Sai Buhari!
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Boy cleared of murder 70 years after he was executed
- BOAD to provide loans involving XOF1,100b over five years
- AfrAsia Bank attracts significant shareholding from NBC
- Research reveals GCC trade with Africa on the rise
- How the US provides inspiration for terrorists groups like ISIS
- Orange and USAID join forces to boost mHealth innovations across Africa
- ECOWAS council session holds against the backdrop of progress
- $35m grant from King Abdallah fight Ebola in WA
- Powering Africa to advance Africa power industries
- AFRICA: Optimism and opportunity abounds
- Beckam and Son in Car Accident
- George Weah: The missing link in Liberian senate
- First Francophonie Economic Forum
- Tanzania refute claims to evict Maasai from Ngorongoro
- West Africa King of Impunity!