- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- BREAKING NEWS: Bomb Blast Rocks Kano Central Mosque
- Road Side Explosion Kills Scores
- Diezani Madueke Elected OPEC President
- The Crucification of Gov. T.A Orji - Part 1
- Revealed: How Uduaghan and Pinnick Wasted Millions to Host NFF
- Two Suicide Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri
- Obiano bogus 2015 budget; bribes Lawmakers with N330m
- Nyanya Bombing: Court strikes out suit against Ogwuche
- Explosion Hits PDP secretariat in Calabar
- Of Nigeria and Mathematics: Salary of Nigerian Senators
- Boko Haram slaughters 48 fish vendors in northeast Nigeria
- Chadian Presidents Associate Arrested with Missiles for Boko Haram
- Dame Patience Plots to Remove Gov Dickson
- IGP orders Tambuwal arrested?
- Police acted professionally to forestall mayhem, says Ojukwu
- BREAKING: Supreme Court sacks Taraba Ag Governor
- Update: 120 Reps Sign to Impeach President Jonathan
- Boko Haram kill about 45 people in Borno state
- Chaos at National Assembly: Tambuwal Stopped, David Mark Orders shutdown
- Nigeria dire humanitarian situation worries the UN
- Dwindling Economy: Where Lies Our Fate?
- Rich Harvests from Nigeria’s Hunting Expeditions
- What PDP said about Governor Orji’s Son
- President Jonathan Condemns Kano Mosque Attack
- Understanding Your Dog(s)
- On Fiscal Ineptitude - By Jaye Gaskia
- Ohakim Addresses Imo Indigenes in America
- Lift The Age Barrier; a case for myself
- APC Presidential Primaries: The Odds against Buhari
- Portia Ramaphosa: After nearly forty years, I’m finally noticed!
- Governor T. A Orji: Victim of Circumstance?
- The Lessons beyond the Tears by Olusegun Adeniyi
- How Authentic is Our Desire for Democratic Good Governance?
- Re: Nigeria Died in 1966 - Can A Thief Be A Social Critic?
- Stopping destructive behaviour in dogs
- Re: State of the Itsekiri Nation Under Your Governorship
- Christian Jargon and the Politics of Survival
- How to Stop Aggressive Behavior in Dogs
- Social Justice: How Did We Get To This Level? (1)
- Encomium for Gov Orji as he saves a hole-in-the-heart child
- Siasia’s Olympic team to face Gabon
- FA Cup Final: Gov Orji Congratulates Enyimba for Defeating Dolphins
- Boxing: Pacquaio faces Algieri
- Nigeria 2- 2 South Africa: Nigeria out of Nations Cup
- Klitschko KOs Pulev In Fifth Round
- President Jonathan applauds Super Eagles win over Congo
- Nigeria Wallops Congo 2-0 in AFCON Qualifier
- Bulgarian Pulev Hopes To End Klitschko’s Reign
- Equatorial Guinea to Host AFCON 2015
- Super Eagles Off to Congo for Do-or-Die Match
- Kovalev May Have Retired Hopkins With Resounding Victory
- Bernard Hopkins: Champ Testing Time Against Sergey Kovalev
- New York Knicks Spoil Lebron James’ Homecoming Party
- Stephen Keshi: Are There Things That Nigeria Cannot Bungle?
- President Jonathan Orders Recall of Keshi as Super Eagles Coach
- Shock Announcement: Arsenal to sack Wenger
- NBA: San Antonio Spurs Poised To Repeat As Champions
- Zidane Handed a Three-month Ban over Coaching Qualifications
- Football: Ronaldo voted La Liga's best player at LFP awards
- NFF Crisis: Jonathan invites Amaju Pinnick to Presidential Villa
- Tanzania refute claims to evict Maasai from Ngorongoro
- West Africa King of Impunity!
- Bandits steal suspected Ebola blood in Guinea
- Revealed, the happiest countries in the world
- Railway Group signs Chinas' largest overseas contract with Nigeria
- I envy HIV/AIDS patients in Nigeria – Maureen Aisha Edward
- Fiancé hangs himself 4 days after fiancée called off wedding
- ISIS beheads another US aid worker
- Student had sex with sheep, says stressed about exams
- Photonews: Atiku holds meetings with Obasanjo
- Pregnant beggar seen driving Mercedes and counting money
- Anniversary of Berlin Wall: A Symbolic History
- United States Dedicates New Embassy Office Annex in Abuja
- Nigeria's Oil Production picks up, at a 10 year high
- Swiss prosecutors contact oil traders in Nigeria multi-billion dollar scam