- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- BREAKING: Ebonyi HA Serves Impeachment Notice to Gov Elechi
- Photonews: President Jonathan Tours Boko Haram Flashpoints in 3 States
- Jega to receive notice of terminal leave next week - APC
- Boko haram: Army chief says war is almost over
- President Jonathan defies critics ahead of Nigeria polls - Financial Times
- Deadly Explosion rips through Bus, kills 10 on outskirts of Potiskum
- Fleeing Boko Haram Calls For Ceasefire
- Bizarre! 7yrs Old Suicide Bomber Blows Self in Potiskum
- Inside Story Of Missing $20bn - NNPC
- Boko Haram Release 158 Abducted Women
- Boko Haram: Troops Retakes Dikwa and Gwoza Training Base
- African Forces aim to Wipe out Boko Haram Starting next month
- Gov Amosun Raises Alarm: 600,000 Strange PVCs in Ogun State!
- Nigerian Military kills over 300 Boko Haram Militants in Battle of Monguno
- Update: Rivers Multiple Explosion Kill Policeman, Disrupts Rivers APC Guber Rally
- Labour Party Chairman, Nwanyanwu Resigns
- Appeal Court dismisses APC suit against Fayose
- BREAKING: Obasanjo Abandons PDP, Tears Membership Card!
- Female Bomber Attacks Yobe Motor Park, Kills 7, Injure 32
- Presidency: Obasanjo Plots to Thwart Elections, Lead an Interim Government
- Buhari is a better Christian than Jonathan
- N5bn Scam on Jonathan: Igbo Leaders Condemns Ohanaeze
- For God, For Country, For Glory!
- My Message to the Dogs & Baboons
- Imo widows place curses on Okorocha, Ndi Eze Imo, others
- Democratic Impunity!
- Photonews: Life returns to Mubi after troops recapture town from Boko Haram
- Prosecute Buhari for Kidnapping Umaru Dikko in London in 1984
- Vote Tonight at Fox News for Adanna Duru in American Idol to Win the Top Price
- Similes of born-to-rule terrorists in Nigeria and ISIS
- President Jonathan: The tale of the goat and the yam
- Odudu Ukpanah: Beyond the Social Media
- Photonews: Protests Mar Buhari's Chatham House Lecture
- Full Text of Buhari's Chatham House Speech
- Photos: Buhari arrives Chatham house for his speech
- The many concentric circles of conspiracy against Jonathan
- What the people of Oyo State needs to break the 2nd term jinx
- The upcoming general elections and Nigeria's date with history
- Ayo Fayose is sick in the head
- Change: The Paternal GAP
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- David Beckham Son Receives Special Protection During Arsenal Youth Matches
- Heat Spoil James Return, Beating Cavaliers 101-91
- Amir Khan Gives Alexander Boxing Lesson
- LeBron James’ Principled Stance against Injustice
- Fawole John Oyeyemi: Nigeria Modern Archetype Of Chess
- World Strongest Footballer Never Played for Nigeria
- NFF Appeals Committee Nullifies Pinnick’s Election
- Boxing: Crawford Dominates Beltran
- Fury Stops Chisora in 10th Round
- US Auditor Commits Suicide after Declaring for Guber Race
- Iran Blows Up Mock US Aircraft Carrier in Latest Drills
- ECOWAS Members Adopt a Declaration on Eradication of Statelessness in W Africa
- 10 yr old Schoolgirl Esther Okade Enrols In University Maths Degree
- 90 Christians abducted by ISIL in Syria
- Abidjan to host 1st ministerial conference on statelessness in W Africa
- ECOWAS Expresses Solidarity with Nigeria, Urges Peaceful, Credible Elections
- Man beats wife on wedding night after failing to get her dress off
- Nigerian ministers reject Obama's criticism, vows to hold election
- UK RAF jets scrambled after Russian bombers seen off Cornwall
- ISIS jihadi who led execution of Christians could be an American
- ECOWAS states to mainstream regional programmes into national dev’t
- Islamic State harvesting organs of Victims- Iraq envoy to UN
- Islamic State Fighters Target Women in 'Brutal Instinctive Desire for Sex'
- ECOWAS exerts meet in Lagos over national development plans