- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- APC Finally Unveils their Northern Agenda
- Obiano: The Face of Wickedness, by Joe Martins Uzodike
- Governor Okorocha and Islamization of Imo State... why Okorocha must go
- Buruji Kashamu Responds (Man indicted in US for drug deal elected Senator in Nigeria)
- Military Storms Boko Haram Hideout in Sambisa Forest
- Buhari to Sack all Top Management, Probe and Break up NNPC
- Three Kidnapped Boys by Housemaid Found and Home
- UNCOVERED: Fraudulent Result sheets from areas won by Okorocha
- We don't know if Chibok girls can be rescued - Buhari
- PDP Calls for Cancellation of Imo Governorship Election
- List of 2015 Elected Governors, Highlights
- APC Tsunami Sweeps Out PDP Governors
- Okorocha Leads in Controversial Imo Governorship Race
- INEC Declares Tambuwal Winner Sokoto Guber Election
- INEC Declares El rufai Winner of Kaduna Governorship Polls
- Breaking: INEC Confirms Ugwuanyi Winner of Enugu Guber
- OGUN: INEC Declares Amosun winner with 306, 988 Votes
- Guber and State Assembly Poll Result Live Updates
- How Uwajumogu-led Legislature underdeveloped Imo State, by John Mgbe
- Court Refuses To Stop Fayose's Impeachment
- The Coming War Against Corruption in Nigeria, by Benjamin Aduba
- Okorocha and Uwajumogu, Free Samuelson Iwuoha Now!
- Rotational governorship and political xenophobia in Abia, by S. Akoji
- RE: Can a Christian artiste sing secular songs? By Sam Eleanya
- Not New but Now News - Case of xenophobia in S Africa, by E E Okpa
- ABIA 2015 Guber: Between winning and rigging, By Emelogu Martins
- How Buhari will Islamize Nigeria, by Olugu Orji
- Why defeating Rochas should be more important to APC than PDP, by FCC Jones
- On Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu’s electoral lead, by Don Ubani
- Tribute to Oronto Douglas, by Denja Yaqub
- Which Way, the Yoruba Ethnic Nationalities? By Nnaemeka Onumonu-Uzoaru
- Why You Should Be Eating Watermelon Seeds, Instead Of Spitting Them Out
- Jega, APC, should not take our civility for cowardice!
- Petroleum minister, Diezani Madueke Absent at FEC Meeting
- Jonathan’s Veto, Buhari’s Lesson, by Olusegun Adeniyi
- Yes, Father Mbaka was right, by Tochukwu Ezukanma
- Imo politics: Between the charlatans and the maestro, by Onwuasoanya Jones
- Benue guber & politics dynamics in Benue South Senatorial Zone, by Ushakuma Anenga
- 2015: Between Buhari And MEND’s Unusual Olive Branch, by Ifeanyi Izeze
- Towards a New Nigeria: Buhari Should Fill His Cabinet with Geniuses (1), by Bayo Oluwasanmi
- Ubah, Oduah, Ekwunife receive certificate of return
- Photos: Abia Governor Orji, 9 others receive INEC certificate of return
- Super Sand Eagles Thrash Egypt 4-1, Qualifies for Semi-final
- Seychelles 2015: Sand Eagles Hammer hosts 10-1
- Nollywood star, Desmond Elliot wins Lagos House Of Assembly Seat
- Harvest of goals as Super Falcons pound Mali 8-0
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- APC Used Police to Forment Electoral Violence in Akwa Ibom - Gov Akpabio
- ECOWAS Condemns Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa
- Orubebe's Outburst at Collation Centre Was Part of Plot to Kidnap Jega - Reuters
- Why South Africans are attacking foreign Africans but not whites - Quartz
- Judge Lifts Orders against Obasanjo's Book
- Gen Gowon Advocates Government of West Africa
- Boko haram; Abducted girls forced to carry out attacks - Amnesty
- ECOWAS Urges Greater Participation of Women in Togo Elections
- I Will Force Ministers to Declare Assets - Buhari
- Can Jones Nhinson redeem Liberia for the 2nd time in his lifetime?
- Michael Jackson paid £134m hush money to keep as many as 20 sex abuse victims quiet, lawyers claim
- Fleeing Boko Haram kill seven in attack on village in Chad
- Jonathan's Phone Call to Buhari Revealed
- Release by Chairman of Authority of ECOWAS on Nigeria Presidential Election results
- Obasanjo writes to Nigeria's Buhari, indicates availability