- Written by Admin
The House of Representatives is set to enforce its power to review revenue sharing formula as a bill for the amendment of Section 162 (2) scaled second reading on Tuesday. The matter came up for deliberation during the first plenary of the second session of the 7th Assembly.
The 'bill for an Act to alter the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 in Section 162 (2) to provide for the Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission's (RMFAC) to table directly before the National Assembly the commission's proposals for revenue allocations was unanimously adopted by the lawmakers.
Sponsor of the bill, the Chairman of the House Committee on Rules and Business, Albert Sam-Tsokwa, said the current arrangement that allows for five year review among other provisions has given too much room for interested party's interference and bureaucratic procedure.
According to him, the option given to the commission to present the proposal to the President before being forwarded to the National Assembly by the President was erroneous.
In his contribution, Chairman, House Committee on Finance, john Enoh, noted that it was unfortunate for the House not to have reviewed the revenue sharing formula since 1999 contrary to constitutional provision that stipulates five year review by the legislators.
"It is unfortunate that the House has not debated the distribution of the revenue since 1999. It is a shame but I can assure that the RMFAC is ready and willing to present its proposals to the NASS if mandated to do so," he added.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who emphasized that "something has to change" noted that the concept of true federalism has been negated by the current arrangement whereby the Federal government takes too much compared to the other tiers of government.
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Presidential Results
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Live Presidential Election Results Every Minute
- Nigeria Decides: 2015 Presidential Election Live Updates
- Jonathan and Buhari: Between progression and retrogression, by Mazi Ogbonna
- Chekwas Okorie Outperforms All At Nigeria's Presidential Debates
- Germanwings plane crashes in French Alps, no survivors
- Who killed four aides of Imo HA speaker? By Kenneth Uwadi
- NMA Lagos State Chapter Finally Commences Indefinite Strike
- Ndokwa Youths Block Expressway, Protest Injustice, Marginalisation
- [Update] Emir of Bukkuyum Was Kidnapped in the Mosque
- Revealed: General Buhari Was Arrested in the UK
- Breaking: War breaks out in Obiano's community between Aguleri and Anam
- Stolen! $142bn Nigeria's Oil Revenue in 5 Years; additional financial maths
- Delta is finished! Uduaghan sets to borrow N50bn after bribing Sec DG with N2b
- Breaking: Jonathan Swears in Obanikoro Seven Others as Ministers
- EXCLUSIVE: How I was abducted, kissed death and released from Boko Haram
- High Calibre Explosion Rocks Udi in Enugu
- Sack Jega Now! - Oodua Peoples Congress
- Mysterious Fire Guts INEC Electoral Institute
- [UPDATE] Fulani Herdsmen Attack Benue Village, Kill 90
- Rivers APC Demands Suspension of Resident Electoral Commissioner
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Live Anambra Election Results Every Minute
- T A Orji wins Abia Central Senatorial Elections
- INEC warns against premature announcement of results
- APC warns against attempt to announce fake election results
- Matters arising from the Presidential and National Assembly Elections
- Nggilari, INEC disenfranchised many IDPs in Adamawa - Boni Haruna
- Expect Collated Results on Monday, Only 2 State Results Ready - Jega
- Orumba North/South Elections, Our People's Will Not Reflected - Okonkwo
- Okorocha Tears INEC Report Sheet in Imo State
- TAN Boss -Ifeanyi Uba, Obijackson, Fight Dirty at INEC Collation Centers, Many injured
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Ecowas Observer Mission Preliminary Declaration
- If Goodluck Jonathan Loses...
- Official: Buhari leads Jonathan in Ogun, APGA Leads in Anambra, Jonathan Leads in Ekiti
- BREAKING: INEC announces Gamawa LGA final results, More results from Anambra, Ogun, Osun
- Nigeria Decides 2015: Violent Protest in Rivers State Voters Over Irregularities
- Jonathan's Aide Lynched In Kano, Aides Sustain Injury
- El Rufai, Fani Kayode Delivers Ward to APC, PDP
- Live Results from Ekiti: PDP in early lead
- Jonathans Aide Lynched In Kano, Aides Sustain Injury
- Flying Eagles are African Champions
- Flying Eagles beat Ghana 2-0, qualifies for final
- Bolivia Pulls Out of Nigeria Friendly Match
- Flying Eagles Qualify For U-20 World Cup
- Nigeria to play South Africa in friendly on March 29
- Flying Eagles Jets Off to Senegal for AYC
- Arsenal chief wants to sack Arsene Wenger and hire Thierry Henry as manager
- Why Mario Balotelli MUST be in the Liverpool line-up against Manchester City this afternoon
- Keshi Says Nigeria Offered Him 'Slave contract'
- Mayweather Vs Pacquiao: The Fight of the Century
- Shocking Video: Racist Chelsea Fans Push Black Man Out of a Moving Train In Paris
- Kanu Nwankwo voted 13th greatest Arsenal player
- Cote D'ivorie Wins African Cup of Nations
- AFCON 2015 Final: Cote d’Ivoire vs Ghana
- AFCON 2015: Ouedraogo commends teams ECOWAS
- Chelsea draw Man City 1-1, remain five points clear
- Breaking News: Former Eagles goalkeeper Agbonivbare is dead
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or over Lionel Messi & Manuel Neuer
- Tennis champion Serena Williams says coffee helped her beat Pennetta
- Steven Ukoh to play for Nigeria, ditches Switzerland
- Islamic State group beheads 8 Shiites in Syria's Hama
- Detroit woman arrested after 2 kids found dead in freezer
- ECOWAS Chairman, Mahama Appeals for Peaceful Elections in Nigeria
- Mexican wrestler dies following match with ex-WWE superstar Rey Mysterio
- Experts Meet on Academic Mobility Programme in West Africa
- Suicide Bombers Blow Up Yemeni Mosques, Kill Scores, Wound Hundreds
- Forbes analysis: Nigeria could be heading for economic crisis?
- Sierra Leonean Vice President Sacked!
- Megachurch pastor seeks donations for pricey private jet
- Woman sets herself on fire, crashes car, jumps off bridge, yet lives
- Elderly Nun Raped in Indian Convent School
- US Shuts Saudi Embassy over Security Fears
- Policeman killed as gunmen abduct three Chinese in Nigeria
- Ivory Coast's 'Iron Lady' jailed for 20 years over election violence
- Solar-Powered Airplane: Global flight completes first leg