- Category: Newsflash
- Published on Thursday, 10 November 2011 15:03
- Written by Elombah.com
[elombah.com] Suspected Islamists have attacked a police station and government office in northeastern Nigeria, destroying both buildings, according to an AFP report. Suspected members of the Islamist sect known as Boko Haram on Wednesday night stormed the village of Mainok, some 75 kilometres from the city of Damaturu, which was hit
by coordinated attacks last week that left some 150 dead.
But authorities denied a resident's claim of police casualties.
The Boko Harama terrorists invaded the Borno State village in three lorries. Their entry into Mainok village, in Kaga Local Government Area – 60 kilometres from Maiduguri – sent the village into panic.
They invaded the residence of the village head, who was not at home but killed his brother Fanami and another person whose name could not be immediately ascertained.
The Boko Haram men divided themselves into three groups as they shot indiscriminately at people and into the air, according to eyewitnesses.
They also attacked the police station in the village, the office of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and some other government buildings.
"It's true there were attacks on a police outpost in Mainok village," said Simeon Midenda, police commissioner for Borno state, where Mainok is located.
"It was burnt down by the attackers suspected to be members of Boko Haram, but there were no casualties because that particular outpost was shut down long ago and the policemen there were redeployed to Maiduguri."
A resident however told AFP that about 20 gunmen attacked the police station, throwing explosives inside, before moving on to a federal road safety office, which was also destroyed along with vehicles parked there.
"They killed four policemen and freed suspects from cells and carted away guns and ammunition from the police station," the resident said.
A federal road safety official for Borno state confirmed that the office was hit.
"Our office in Mainok was attacked by gunmen and burnt down," said James Christopher. "None of my men there were affected but one of our operation vehicles was also burnt in the attack."
Boko Haram has been blamed for scores of attacks in Nigeria, including the August bombing of UN headquarters in the capital Abuja that killed 24 people.
Joint Task Force spokesman Lt.-Col. Hassan Mohammed confirmed the incident. He said no arrest has been made.
Lt.-Col. Mohammed also yesterday said there is a nexus between Boko Haram and al-Qaeda.
“Boko Haram is al Qaeda,” he said in an interview with Reuters.
“I see perfect links. It cuts across boundaries. al Qaeda has no boundary; Boko Haram has no boundary. All terrorists, one problem,” said Lt.-Col. Mohammed, who was dressed in camouflage and flanked by soldiers.